Your Ride!

Hello all:

Have just recently been back on my bike after 5 years and as many knee operations. My bike is kinda old, and going to slowly up grade groupo and wheels only.

Custom built Gardin with carbon Fibre/ Titanium, 8spd Dura-Ace STI, use Modolo brake pads, Modolo handle bars, LOOK (the red ones) pedals, either Mavic Open 4CD rims or my Specialized tri-spokes.

Thinking of up grading to new STI 9spd. Just have to change shifter, chain, and back gears.

I have always ran Shimano and never had a problem. Have put about 50 000km on this groupo and not a complaint. Then again, I take great care of my bike and do not use the cheaper versions........

Memph

Hi, I'm a road-racer from Holland and one of the lucky few to own one of the best Italian rides; a Bottecchia Alu U2.
Dedacciai U2 tubing, Shimano Dura-Ace, Deda Magic bar + stem, Ritchey WCS post, SSM Aspide seat, Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-SL pedals, and , among others, Shimano WH-7701 tube wheels.

(you may also want to check out http://www.le-garage.tk)

I'm a bit self conscious about my race bike ...... guys look at it with glazed eyes, often start dribbling and then some even call me really hurtful names.
Merlin Cielo, carbon Record, Campag carbon wheels, Cinelli carbon bars & stem. I 've changed the Record calipers for some Mavics because I thought the black finish offered a nicer contrast. The worst part of the whole deal was the drama getting it on the roof of the new car ..... you ever tried buying roof bars for an F40 ?

I have a Cannondale R 1000 CAAD7. I've made the following upgrades: Dura Ace Brake Calipers, Dura Ace BB, LOOK Ti ergopost, Selle Italia Pro Link Genuine Gel Saddle,Ksyrium Elite wheels with Michelin Pro Race tires (700 x23).......Rides very nice...Don't know what it weighs....My first road bike...

Mine is a Rock Mountan Turbo with full Dura Ace, Muscle Carbon Fork, Look pedal, Kyrsium SL Wheels, Hutcinson Carbon Comp tires, Ritchet stem /post, and Sele Italia Prolink Saddle..
I'm neew to Road riding so I hope this ids a good setup?

i have a Custom mild steel frame (built by me), Custom handle bars (also by me), and stuff that i have Tweaked to work.

I should have a pic in a few weeks when i am done.

My pride and joy, a '98 Trek Y-Foil. Campy 10 spd Chorus with Record triple upgrade, Vector Pro wheels, Integralter bars (okay, they looked cool and were cheap). Screams on the downhills, sprints well, climbs pretty good, rides a little bit stiff but the beam keeps the posterior from being rattled too much. I saw one on the road, and just had to get one - looks like rolling sculpture.

Originally posted by Michael Ferebee
Last year I brought my bike from the Performance bike store in Pennsylvania, it was on sale and I was told the particular model that I was interested in was for beginners, trust me it's a far improvement over my mountain bike. But anyway I enjoy it and I improved on my riding regement so much I had to make it longer and harder just to get some sweat.

It is a nice looking bike, but still a Norco with cheap groupo. We all have to start with something........

Memph

Originally posted by Guest
norco.jpg

This is my bike its a norco blast, shimano 105 group set, utegra crank and um thats about it , i like it :)
I ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Last year I brought my bike from the Performance bike store in Pennsylvania, it was on sale and I was told the particular model that I was interested in was for beginners, trust me it's a far improvement over my mountain bike. But anyway I enjoy it and I improved on my riding regement so much I had to make it longer and harder just to get some sweat.

Originally posted by JohnO
My pride and joy, a '98 Trek Y-Foil. Campy 10 spd Chorus with Record triple upgrade, Vector Pro wheels, Integralter bars (okay, they looked cool and were cheap). Screams on the downhills, sprints well, climbs pretty good, rides a little bit stiff but the beam keeps the posterior from being rattled too much. I saw one on the road, and just had to get one - looks like rolling sculpture.
I like that bike I bet it cost a pretty penny.

Hey, im new to the forums and thought this might make a good somewhat first post :) First off I have to say I know nothing about the Y foils but I do know they have cought my eye for years now and I am still dying to try one out just to see how they ride. You don't see those often at all. As for me, I bought my brand new baby not too many days ago, after having my budget stripped I lucked out and fell in love with my new Felt F35. Absolutely in love with the bike and the components ... A lovely blend of Carbon and Alu. :)

Cheers

FYI: Foil framesets are relatively inexpensive ($500-800) if you can find them at all. They show up on ebay from time to time. They were $1600 new... only made for two years, 98 and 99. When the UCI banned them in int'l competition, production was shut down.

Ride is interesting - stiff, but easy on the tailbone. Noticably quicker on downhills and sprints. Vector pro wheels are brutally stiff, but fast.

2003 Race Across America (RAAM) was won on a gold Foil. Perhaps that will give Trek reason to reconsider putting it back into production. It's certainly one of the most graceful looking cycles made.

i hate my bike. i bought it second hand. it is a giant perigee. it was a rip off at AU$500. i knew nothing about road bikes when i bought it. its about 2-3 cm too big for me at 56cm ct and is only seven speed. Too add insult to injury it doesn't have sti levers. this is bad because when i crest a hill and get up to speed i have too look down or make a hopeful grasp towards the downtube levers... very ****. one good thing is when im lazy too shift i can have good spinning practise. yes, i look like an idiot.

I'll try and post some pictures so we can all ridicule my bike together. obese and ugly are some words that spring to mind.

on the other hand i can treat it like **** and not care. I hope it breaks soon. I really want a knew bike.

i saw a giant ocr2 for AU$1199. it seems good value. whats with the compact frame and the crappy stem and headset though. if it wasn't for that i would definately get it.

I shouldn't act so jerky to my bike. It's actually ok, it works well and gets me to uni and back and carries me through training rides. in short it does all a bike should do. The main problem is me. when i see nice new bikes on the internet and the street i just drool over them; the carbon forks, the cool paint jobs, the 10 speed groups, aero wheels, the list is endless.

Somebody tell me, is it possible to be happy. will i find a bike such that i will not covet another. please help me

Originally posted by Guest
i like the seat post. :). hey is campag better than shimano ? and why?

Yes indeed, Campagnolo is much better than Shimano. The main reason most people prefer one over the other is ease of use and ergonomics. I know that for my hands Campag is much easier and more comfortable.

The other reason that I prefer Campag is that every single part is replaceable (even all the itty bitty bits in the shifters) which allows customers to keep their groupsets functioning for many years. With Shimano if the shifter goes bung, you have to repalce the whole thing (much more expensive and wastefull of the earth's resources).

Originally posted by itsacarr
Hey, im new to the forums and thought this might make a good somewhat first post :) First off I have to say I know nothing about the Y foils but I do know they have cought my eye for years now and I am still dying to try one out just to see how they ride. You don't see those often at all. As for me, I bought my brand new baby not too many days ago, after having my budget stripped I lucked out and fell in love with my new Felt F35. Absolutely in love with the bike and the components ... A lovely blend of Carbon and Alu. :)

Cheers
I dont see y foils at all, I dont know if its where I'm from meaning the stores in my area dont carry therm or at least the stores I go to but I think thats what intrest me the most, the fact that I dont see that type of bike. Maybe one day.:cool:

Originally posted by MGSuarez
14.7 lbs

I tried editing my original post. But, I couldn't add the pic. Oh well here she is..

i hope you don't race. That bike is illegal under UCI regs! Too light.

may as well post mine. My coppi frame died 2 weeks ago.
Now I've bought a Storck Vision - tops in durabilty and stiffness. Reasonable weight. Very comfortable ride and good price (800 euros for frame and fork). Also bought some gipiemme wheels (superb design, not too light, but that doesn't count for much in holland :)

As with most of you guys...I'm in love with my bike (I can also relate to the guys who hates his giant, I had an old giant cadex 5 years back, it was awful, vibrated like hell, every ride depressed me more)

bike.jpg