Your Ride!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2001.

1. larry barr

larry barr New Member

Fondriest Status built with Record 10. My backup is a Bianchi Reparto Corse with Chorus 9 speed. Ok, I admit I have a problem.

2. larry barr

larry barr New Member

That is one great looking ride. this is what I love about cycling. You can stare at someone elses bike and yours doesn't get mad at you. Even better, you can ride someone elses bike.;)

3. CycleSteve

CycleSteve New Member

Talking about "your ride", anybody see the article about Robin Williams in one of the summer issues of Bicycling? The guy's got a "garage" full of every bike imaginable, millions of $$s worth. But he seems to not take any of it for granted. Check the article out.

4. larry barr

larry barr New Member

Saw the article. He is a huge fanatic and despite his body build, backs his arsenal up. He tends to get alot of stuff for free, just because of who he is, guess i'm a little jealous. The next time I get something of consequence for free will also be the first time. Good to see someone else from Illinois here. I live in Deerfield and currently work in Rolling Meadows. Same issue with traffic my way. I generally ride early and also head west into Barrington and other areas to find the country roads.

5. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I also like to stare at others rides. Makes me feel great when someone has a fancy, newer, expensive bike and can not ride it. Love the look on their face when me and my older bike spins past them........

Memph

6. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Robin is a funny guy with some good movies. Would be good if he could help draw attention to cycling in North America. But still another older rider with expensive equipment who can not ride it well....

Memph

7. Randal Lovelace

Randal Lovelace New Member

Nishiki Sport (53cm)

Suntour A/R Front Der.

Suntour ? (think its an A/R too) Rear Der.

Sugino XT Crank

Shimano Rear Hub (probably not OE) Will replace with Jou Ya F23 Rear hub - Aluminum **

Jou Ya F23 Front Hub and Rim - Aluminum *

Dia-Compe 1284M Quick Release Calipers F and R

Dia-Compe 235 Brake Levers Quick Release System

Custom Aluminum Neck

Champion Bars (too bad its STEEL)

Duel Bell Torchaire Halogen HeadLamps *

Single Bell 5 Led Multiflash rear light *

Alloy Rack *

* Removed from Lotus Elan

** to be removed from Lotus Elan

Bike is Currently a 10 speed, however once the rear hub/assembly/rim are replaced it will be a 12 Speed.

Also, will replace the Rear Der. with Shimano Altus (Also from the Lotus)

The Lotus is being sold, somewhat complete, it will have the rear Suntour Der. and both rims from the Nishiki, however he gets two flat inner tubes and one shredded tire. (and he's only giving $20 for it.)

Anyone know much about Nishiki bikes?
    I know it's a Japanese co. and that the bike was assembled in Korea...but that's about all I know.:cool:

8. joey2mak

joey2mak New Member

Hello to all forum members. This is my first post on this board. I ride a Giant MCR2 with a Shimano 600 gruppo, a 9-speed Ultegra cassette and an older model Profile pursuit / aero bars.

Cheers,
    Joey

9. indiaxman1

indiaxman1 New Member

Got a vintage flying French bike...Simplex, Mafac....superlight...love to blow past new ultra $ bikes....wouldn't trade for any new ride

10. DurangoKid

DurangoKid New Member

I rode a 14-year-old Specialized Epic with the Shimano 105 group. My only upgrades were a set of welded/machined rims and better handlebar tape. I bought it new for about $970. It was the second or third year of graphite with tubes and lugs. It wasn’t until a long descent in the Sierra Nevada that I found out what a bitch it is at high speed. My new mount is the Bianchi San Lorenzo frame with 32/36 spoked custom wheels fore and aft. I saved some $$$ by using the Ultegra group instead of the stock Dura Ace. During a recent trip to the Rockies, I found out the real advantage of a better bike on the descents. At 40-plus mph, it’s rock solid. Yes, it’s lighter, but the advantage in handling is the real plus. The integrated shifters are nice, too. No more groping around for the next gear.

11. daman

daman New Member

hey there, can any body tell me what the prefered ride of the Belgium's?

12. dso

dso New Member

I ride a Bianchi EV2 EVO with full Campy carbon record, Chris King headset, look PP396 pedals, Canpy Neutron wheelset. Bike weights in at 16 lbs and is a great climber.

13. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

A bike does not make a climber, the rider does. Was out rode up a 12km 9% mountain by a friend with a steel bike that weight atleast 6lbs heavier then mine. He proved an important point......

Memph

14. larry barr

larry barr New Member

You are correct, it's not the tools, it's the carpenter.

15. mrdemon

mrdemon New Member

cock fosters

its both.

My friend has been time trialing on an old bike and getting 22.34 and can never get uner 22.30.

A guy lent him a modern up to date bike and he did 21.30 a full minute of his best ever time.

If you aint got the tools you cannot do the job.....

David
    needlest to say i got a 16 lb bike and it takes me 30 minutes doh.
    next year ........ :)

16. larry barr

larry barr New Member

Having made that time on a new bike what happened when he went back to the old one. Can't discount the pshycological factor of having a new ride under you.

17. gregneedham

gregneedham New Member

My Classic. Just returned to riding after a 10-year break and went for an older steel frame. A red 1996 Ciocc EL-OS. The bike always turns heads. The Columbus EL-OS tubing is unbelievable. So smooth to ride...

Geometry:
    -BB to Centerline of TT: 53.0 cm.
    -TT length (cl to cl): 54.0 cm.
    -Standover height: 79 cm.
    -Wheelbase: 96.5 cm.

The components:
    -Frame: 96 Ciocc EL-OS
    -Fork: Columbus steel (chrome)
    -Cranks: Topline 52/39 170 mm.
    -Bottom bracket: Campy Chorus
    -Front derailleur: Campy Chorus
    -Rear derailleur: Campy Chorus
    -Brake levers/shifters: Campy Record 8-speed
    -Brakes: Campy Record
    -Wheels: Campy Record laced to Mavic Open Pro's w/ red nipples.
    -Seatpost: American Classic
    -Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
    -Handlebars: TTT Forma
    -Tape: Cinelli Cork Gel (black)
    -Stem: TTT quill 1" 110 mm.
    -Headset: Campy Record
    -Tires: Continental GP3000
    -Skewers: Salsa (Italian colors)

http://www.designkeywest.com/ciocc.html

18. larry barr

larry barr New Member

19. larry barr

larry barr New Member

classic

20. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

You are correct about it takes both. But the average person does not need to purchase an expensive bike thinking it shall make them faster. It is the person on the bike that actually does that. Sure a lighter bike shall help, but nothing beats fitness. So your friend shaved a minute off, great. But what if someone with a heavier bike was two minutes faster then him. He saved a minute off, so this makes him a minute slower now. If other guy got lighter bike also, he would then be back to two minutes faster. Only way to catch him then is thru fitness. As we said, a rider makes a bike not a bike makes a rider.

As my old trainer told me while riding his heavy steel frame. Once you catch my fitness and keep up to me, I shall get a lighter frame and be ahead of you again. This was the greatest ride I ever rode with.....

Memph