Your Ride!

G

Hi guys,

My bike's nothing special. I got it as a grad present from my grandparents last December. The steel frame's custom built here in the Philippines and, sad to say, has a very ugly paint job. So is the steel fork. I use Shimano 105 components, open pro rims (36 spokes!), a trimatic saddle, and a Prima 220 bar which I think is the sweetest part of my bike! In the future, I'll try to get something with better quality (the frame, I mean) like a Gios, or Cervelo. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my first roadbike, something which I have dreamed of having since I was in HS.

BTW, what do you guys think of generic carbon forks (made in taiwan/china)? The roads here in the Philippines really suck, and I've been saving up for a generic fork since an original Look/Reynolds/Colombus would take eons for me to save up for.

Cheers!

G

I dont know about the carbon forks i dont have carbon forks
ps: i bought a seat with special rails that absorb shock and my ride is quit comfy and the roads here arnt smooth either its just this is cheaper than geting carbon forks its the Selle Italia TriMatic 2

Whats it like riding over there? busy??

G

Over here, the roads are VERY BAD. In addition, the drivers (particularly the bus, taxi, and jeepney drivers) have no respect for the rules at all. Counterflowing, reckless driving, etc are commonplace here. Hence, when riding, you either have to watch out for the cars, or keep your eyes on the pavement to watch for those deep potholes that can wreck a car!

Anyway, the best time to ride here would be early in the morning. No cars to bother you, so you can keep your eyes on the road for potholes.

G

The bike I currently use is a non descript Cannondale (bought it second hand, dont know what model frame). Shimano flight-deck and group set.

My other bike is a Alpina steel frame with shimano excage group set.

G

Hey guys,
Nothing special from my side GIANT OCR 3
Basic entry alu frame and forks and Shimano Sora Groupset!
Rides well except for some squeaks from rear derailleur, but if yu ride fast you leave the squeak behind. Ridden about 5000km so far with only a Bottom Bracket and tyre replacement (Won't mention tubes! :D)

One day when I'm big I wanna get a Trek OCLV (Gimme ..Gimme!)
;D

G

acid what sort of distances do you do on your bike?.
just wondering cause sora is the begining group in the shimano range sora-tiagra-105-Ultegra-DuraAce

i bought my bike (norco blast)with 105, but my crank was not attached properly and the threads went ,so they put a ultegra crank on. i now have new wheels with Dura Ace Hubs (Shimano ) its a good bike. You say it squeeks? is the chain hitting the derailer in a particular gear? :). duedes also with shimano/campagnolo if i want a 10 speed whats its max speed? does shimano do 10sppeed?

G

Nicholas I do about 1hr a day during the week (+-30km) with a two hour ride on Saturdays (+-50km) and a three hour ride on Sundays(+-75km). My training usually lasts from July to March and I do a lot of time on the trainer when the polar bears are out ;D
The squeak comes from the back derailleur, I think its from one of those two wheels that the chain runs through? It happens in all the gears (Excuse my terminology but no habla technical cyclespeak so beeg :-[)

Anyway, I know that the Sora isn't brilliant but its working for now.

See ya! 8)

G

Hey guys

Recently bought myself a Schwinn Fastback Elite with Tiagra grouppo (saved up really long for it...can't take my eyes of the bike). really love the look of the bike and its performance. Its my first time on STI's...what a pleasure...who would have thought it possible to change gears while climbing...sheesshh :D
I still get a few weird looks from people, they think I'm riding a MTB frame, because of its compact design. Doesn't bother me though....I just keep riding on with a stupid smug smile ;D

Oh yes....I can even contest the sprints now...STI's opened a new world to me ;)
OK...that's enough from me...sorry for blabbing, but damn I love my bike

G

sounds nice ;D but as v02 and admin say its "not about the bike" so just hand it over to me and ill give you a rust bucket bike in return ;D itll help you build up those muscles :)

actually training on a mtb is good practice for road racing too i think

G

I ride a KHS Flite 800 with an Ultegra/Dura Ace 9spd groupset. It came with Rolf Vector Pro wheels which are brilliant but I only ride them in races. For everyday training and commuting I've got some heavy duty, unbreakable cheap Campag wheels. The bike was a real bargain which i bought direct from the importers because they were trying to get rid of old stock in preparation for the 2001 model range.
I'll upload a pic onto the web soon and post it here for y'all to look at. Unfortunately the KHS site only has the new models which are totally different.

The frame isn't the lightest but is ultra stiff which is just as well as I'm a largish (83kg) rider who likes to sprint. That's the reason why I prefer Shimano over campy shifters... during sprinting I sometimes like to tap it into the next ratio while in the drops. This is impossible to do with the thumb selector on the Campy shifter.

Hi VO2. I'm also down here in deepest darkest South Africa. Hasn't cycling just taken off here in the past few years...? 8)

G

I bought an entry level De Rosa (Wind) in Jan 2001. Campag Veloce Groupset ; Campag Daytona Pro-Fit pedals ; Italia Trans-Am Saddle, Deda Stem & Bars, Ambrosio Rims ; Michelin Tyres; Carbon Fork. Rides like a dream and the Campag groupset is really good stuff. The parts that have impressed me most are the Campag Pro-Fit pedals - light as hell and very confortable. But then again, what else would you expect from Campag ? Done 9,000km on the bike yesterday, and still feels the same as the day I bought it. Just looking for some racing  wheels now....

drjackfrost

Jan 18, 2002
hey all i just bought a superb bike an orbea,columbus zonal triple butted,zeus carbon fork and then started saving again for groupie campag daytona its great frame and fork weigh in at just over 1.3kgs ;D before i rode an exocet triathlon bike it was also great had 105 groupie on it but cant compare to my beautie now its shweet. rodes her in south africa arent so bad and are relativly smooth obviously depending on where you ride ;)

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
Welcome to the board, dr.
Hey, another Campy fan. Can't beat that! ;)
You should post a pic of that beauty!

G

I have Specialized M4 Stumpjumper Comp that i race and i also have a GT Rebound i use as a back up. I also have a GT ZR5 road bike.
rockyhillranch.msnw

rockyhillranch.msnw

G

Hi

My bike is a Peugeot Classique Alu 2000 Tandem. My other bike is a Trek 7200 FX Hybrid.

Big H

G

Have any of you ever heard of a bike called principia its from demark and its the best bike in the world according to some experts. There top model is the lightest frame in the world.

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
Have any of you ever heard of a bike called principia its from demark and its the best bike in the world according to some experts. There top model is the lightest frame in the world.

I recall reading of Principia frames somewhere, but can't recall.

Image16.gif

G

Check out the December 2000 issue of Procycling. Robert Millar gives a thorough review of the Rex Pro there. Looks good to me. These were also the same bikes that the Linda Mcartney team used.

Can you believe that Millar says that the Principia aluminum frame gives a better, more comfy ride than a carbon frame? I'd really like to try that out.

G

principia are quite popular in the triathlon market and are often advertising in many triathlon mags it is a very light bike and has gained quite a lot of polularity here in south africa