Your Ride!

meehs said:
Nice ride mrowkoob! Very Nice! What size is the frame? How tall are you?
As decieving as that tall seatpost is you have to realize he is using a straight clamp and that bike has a fairly steep seat tube angle. Moving the seat forward lets you extend the seatmost more than you normally could.

53-11 said:
As decieving as that tall seatpost is you have to realize he is using a straight clamp and that bike has a fairly steep seat tube angle. Moving the seat forward lets you extend the seatmost more than you normally could.

Not sure what your point is. I'm guessing that the frame is an XL none-the-less. Being a tall guy who rides a large frame myself, I'm always interested in the set-ups of my fellow tall riders. I'm 6'5" and ride a 63cm C'Dale.

meehs said:
Not sure what your point is. I'm guessing that the frame is an XL none-the-less. Being a tall guy who rides a large frame myself, I'm always interested in the set-ups of my fellow tall riders. I'm 6'5" and ride a 63cm C'Dale.
Well, I guess I said that becasue the frame doesn't look that big too me.

Maybe a 58 or 61 cm.

Not so mrowkoob...I'm tall and I don't have a big drop from seat to bars by intent. And 53, have to side with Meehs on this one. That bike is minimum a Large and very well may be an XL...not by the amount of seat tube showing but the length of steerer tube...visual telltale on frame size. BTW a 61cm frame is a large frame. Agree...think its natural to inquire about sets ups...particular if its near your size. Meehs...at 6'5", is that 63cm Cannondale a bit tight?...you run a long stem?
George

biker7 said:
Not so mrowkoob...I'm tall and I don't have a big drop from seat to bars by intent. And 53, have to side with Meehs on this one. That bike is minimum a Large and very well may be an XL...not by the amount of seat tube showing but the length of steerer tube...visual telltale on frame size. BTW a 61cm frame is a large frame. Agree...think its natural to inquire about sets ups...particular if its near your size. Meehs...at 6'5", is that 63cm Cannondale a bit tight?...you run a long stem?

George
I believe it is either a XL (58cm) or a XXL (61cm).

It's not really a big deal.

I'm just sharing an observation I made with myself about straight clamp seatposts and forward seats. that bike also has a fairly steep seat tube angle.

Steep seat tube angle+ straight clamp (as opposed to set-back seatpost ) + forward seat= reduces distance to pedals. Compensate by jacking seat up.

If that bike was a 58cm I could ride it like that and I'm only 6'2" tall. In fact that's how I'd set mine up with a 180mm crank.

If it's a 61cm the guy is probably very tall, no doubt.

you are taller than me by 1" fitty-three. Since on the subject, what are the specs on your bike...you have a pic?
Cheers,
George

biker7 said:
you are taller than me by 1" fitty-three. Since on the subject, what are the specs on your bike...you have a pic?
Cheers,
George
it's an older Bianchi. (sorry no pictures)

59cm frame, 57cm top tube (seat tube angle 72 or 72.5?, but straight clamp seatpost)
130mm stem
46cm c-to-c bars (drop to handlebars is 15-16cm measured from top tip of saddle to top of handlebars)
ultegra 9s STI
180mm compact double (11-23 cassette most of the time)

Sounds like a sweet bike...love the old Bianchis. How do you like the 180mm cranks 53? You mean you don't have a set back seat clamp on your post? Was a 130mm stem stock on your bike? What is your biking inseam BTW? Honestly, I am just now adjusting to 175mm cranks on my new ride having run 170mm previously. I wouldn't want to go above 175 personally and curious how you like the extra throw?
George

biker7 said:
Sounds like a sweet bike...love the old Bianchis. How do you like the 180mm cranks 53? Was a 130mm stem stock on your bike? What is your biking inseam BTW? Honestly, I am just now adjusting to 175mm cranks on my new ride having run 170mm previously. I wouldn't want to go above 175 personally and curious how you like the extra throw?
George
130mm was the stock stem.

91cm cycling inseam.

I like the 180mm a lot. Now that I said that, I could on and on about how I think "proportional crank theory" is a load of BS. Tall frames are already designed for riders with long legs buy altering the seat tube angle and moving the seat back.

The only way proportional cranks could work is if manufacturers didn't build in the compensation for short/long legs into the seat tube angles. (small frames have 75-76 degree seat tube angles and talll frames 72 degree seat tube angles)

That's why I like 73.5 seat tube angles on taller frames. I think it gives the best biomechanics with longer cranks.

Just my opinion. Just my .02 cents.

You may well be right. Many schools as you know. Basically you are riding on one size smaller bike than I and you are just a bit bigger with slightly longer inseam. I have to admit, I like to ride in the drops a bit and not feel like I am too low. I am going to a 100mm 0 degree Deda stem to bring my bars back a bit. I wanted my cake and eat it too...bars up a bit higher due to the one size up frame and bring them back with a slightly shorter stem. I frankly am surprised they spec'ed both of our bikes with 130mm stems...as it is a bit over the middle pt. of what is common....which is 110-120mm...though stem sizes in general seem to be growing a bit. As to seat tube angle...I hear you. Mine is 72.5 on my bike which inherently does give you a bit more set back as the seat post goes higher. This is not as exagerated in my case because relative to my frame size, I am not running a lot of post thereby further lengthening distance to the bars. As to ideal bio-mechanics...yup...I may be running just back of where my ideal knee pivot should be with the seat forward and with 175mm cranks. Still tuning mine in.
Cheers,
George

biker7 said:
Meehs...at 6'5", is that 63cm Cannondale a bit tight?...you run a long stem?

No, not really George. The C'Dale 63cm frame is quite a bit larger than other manufacturers, at least from my experience. The seat ube measures close to 66cm center to top and the top tube is 61cm. Plus it's got o long enough head tube to keep the saddle/handlebar drop to a reasonable amount. A lot of competetive cyclists run a big drop like mrowkoob but I'm too old for that! My back gets sore on long rides if I'm bent over too much these days. I really like the fit of the Cannondale.

I'm with you brother...my back is probably older than yours. What stem size do you run?
George

53-11 said:
I believe it is either a XL (58cm) or a XXL (61cm).

It's not really a big deal.

I'm just sharing an observation I made with myself about straight clamp seatposts and forward seats. that bike also has a fairly steep seat tube angle.

Steep seat tube angle+ straight clamp (as opposed to set-back seatpost ) + forward seat= reduces distance to pedals. Compensate by jacking seat up.

If that bike was a 58cm I could ride it like that and I'm only 6'2" tall. In fact that's how I'd set mine up with a 180mm crank.

If it's a 61cm the guy is probably very tall, no doubt.

It´s an XXL I´d say it´s in between a 61 and a 63, (a 62) because of the 59,5 toptube (I wanted 59,5 top tube). And yes I´m 6,5" and use 177.5 mm cranks and a 120 stem.

Guest said:
What sort of bike does everyone here ride?

regards,
sr
2002 Pinarello Surprise
Full Ultegra 9, Ksyrium Elite wheels, Ritchey WCS bar/stem, Selle San Marco Aspide Saddle, Speedplay X2, Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork.

2004 Pinarello Opera
Full Record 10, Proton Wheels, Ritchey WCS OS bar/stem, Aspide saddle, Speedplay X2, Pinarello Beta fork.
:cool:

biker7 said:
I'm with you brother...my back is probably older than yours. What stem size do you run?
George

It's 120mm with about a 10 degree rise (not drop) and about 10mm of spacers under it. Some might call it a "geezer" stem. :eek: Works well for me though.

One geezer to another...I can relate :p BTW big fella...I pulled the trigger on the Brooks B17 '05 honey with stainless rivets. A dash of retro fits my character and decided resistance is futile. After much debate, I joined the other (non-Arione) mass religion for many reasons...weight and styling not being either. I may pick up an Arione at some point but likely won't need to. I have no doubt I will join the chorus of praises for Brooks (hammock) in the forthcoming weeks...want to do some long distance riding...with visible sitz bones indents and all and may even derive delight in burning that joke of a baroque torture device referred to as the Italia Selle XO. Maybe XO stands for tattoo'ed... how my a$$ feels after riding it. Would be fun to take the sawzall to it. Italy gets many cycling related products right, but that ain't one of 'em.
Cheers,
George

biker7 said:
One geezer to another...I can relate :p BTW big fella...I pulled the trigger on the Brooks B17 '05 honey with stainless rivets. A dash of retro fits my character and decided resistance is futile. After much debate, I joined the other (non-Arione) mass religion for many reasons...weight and styling not being either. I may pick up an Arione at some point but likely won't need to. I have no doubt I will join the chorus of praises for Brooks (hammock) in the forthcoming weeks...want to do some long distance riding...with visible sitz bones indents and all and may even derive delight in burning that joke of a baroque torture device referred to as the Italia Selle XO. Maybe XO stands for tattoo'ed... how my a$$ feels after riding it. Would be fun to take the sawzall to it. Italy gets many cycling related products right, but that ain't one of 'em.
Cheers,
George

Ah, you got a B17 huh? Good choice! Is this your first Brooks? If it is, just make sure you give it adequate time to break-in before you make up your mind on how you like it. If you Proofide it lightly on both sides it'll speed-up the break-in a bit. It doesn't take that long to break 'em in and you'll start to notice how comforatable your B17 is before long. Let me know how you like it.

...had one on an old Paramount and honestly haven't found "anything" I like better. I know the drill about break in etc. No question the Arione deserves its reputation as a fine saddle and I was torn but at the end of the day, nothing conforms to a riders bottom like a Brooks...also a full 6 3/4 inches wide in its std form. The fact that it is in effect is a piece of unsupported leather between front and back lands simply makes sense for comfort as it will
acquiesce to each person's specific bottom over time...the biggest determinant in my view. Sheldon Brown is still effusive after all these years...good enough for me.

Will let you know how it goes. Honestly Meehs, if you are into biking long distances...and being a big guy, consider picking one up and have it in your collection...don't have to ride it all the time but may be your favorite for long rides.
Cheers,
George