Your speed at 60% HRmax

mitosis said:
Flat road, good surface, no wind, well over 30 k's (18 mph).

Scico, that seems reasonable to me. For all we know 60% for mitosis is 126hr.

I'm gonna try it on the road tomorrow. Get in a nice aero position, breathe and relax... :)

I know I can hold 24mph for a mile or two on the road, suffering, but can do it. Initially though, I'd be willing to bet that it takes me 130hr to hold 18 on the road. We'll find out.

Try it tomorrow and let us know.

Sounds fun.

I must really suck at this. :mad: Went out today on my road bike (usually ride on my MTB) with tires fully pumped up and a good night's sleep. Had plenty of carbs and felt fully rested and recovered from any previous rides.

At 71.73% of MaxHR (137 BPM for me) I was only able to average a paltry 15.1 MPH for 2 hours. I didn't even try to do anything at 60% of MaxHR since the last time. Just too boring. Besides it's too slow to stimulate any adaptive response so it's pretty much a waste of time except to see how fast you can ride at that HR.

The only thing that may save grace for me is it was windy. According to Weather.com it was "From the North at 12 gusting to 20 mph" so that may explain some of the suckage.

Today's Ride on August 5th: (Specialized Sequoia Elite)
Total Ride Time = 02:00:06 (cyclometer)
Total AvgHR = 137 BPM (71.73% of MaxHR of 191) 02:00:01 (HRM)
Lap1 AvgHR = 137 BPM (71.73% of MaxHR) 01:00:00
Lap2 AvgHR = 137 BPM (71.73% of MaxHR) 01:00:00
Time in Zone (134 - 153) = 01:33:21
HR above 153 = 00:00:00
HR below 134 = 00:26:39
Distance = 30.35 Miles
Avg Speed = 15.1 MPH (was 15.5 during the first hour and fell that far!!! Horrible.)
Max Speed = 18.8 MPH

Doctor Morbius said:
I must really suck at this. :mad: Went out today on my road bike (usually ride on my MTB) with tires fully pumped up and a good night's sleep. Had plenty of carbs and felt fully rested and recovered from any previous rides.

At 71.73% of MaxHR (137 BPM for me) I was only able to average a paltry 15.1 MPH for 2 hours. I didn't even try to do anything at 60% of MaxHR since the last time. Just too boring. Besides it's too slow to stimulate any adaptive response so it's pretty much a waste of time except to see how fast you can ride at that HR.

The only thing that may save grace for me is it was windy. According to Weather.com it was "From the North at 12 gusting to 20 mph" so that may explain some of the suckage.

Distance = 30.35 Miles
Avg Speed = 15.1 MPH (was 15.5 during the first hour and fell that far!!! Horrible.)
Max Speed = 18.8 MPH

Nah, I'm sure you're fine as the rest of us, chin up! I have a theory, and it's this, "we don't know, what we don't know" and that applies to about everything I/we all do.

I bet if you start playing with cadence, maybe work on your position on the bike you find some new thing that really helps.

Everytime I start to analyze the heck out of my stuff I spot something different that I want to try, and or change. Not knowing much about your health, It seems to me maybe you need to maybe try a higher pulse for various periods, maybe look for a sweet spot where the work feels easy, but you are really cranking. I'm starting to think for me that's about 145. Sometimes if I'm careful on flat ground, it's 150.

Don't know, but I am willing to have fun trying different stuff. I doubt many of us make a living doing this, so there is no good reason not to mix it up, try stuff and enjoy being healthy in the process. Be smart though.

Doctor Morbius said:

Distance = 30.35 Miles
Max Speed = 18.8 MPH

That wind today probably cost you one or two mph, even on a loop course.

I'd say just enjoy your riding, and be confident that your speed and HR will improve over the long term as you put in the training miles. Expecting to see improvement from one week to the next is just a recipe for frustration.

mitosis said:
Flat road, good surface, no wind, well over 30 k's (18 mph).

Well, here's my best attempt, outside on the road, flat surface, etc. Ended up being about 61%, there was a bridge that created a slight grade, but you can see that in the altitude. Done sitting up with hands in the drops for consistency.

Red line is Heart rate... Never thought about it, but that seems approriate. Green is cadence, blue is speed, brown is altitude.

Ahhhhhhh! Had a much more productive day today. It didn't suck nearly as bad as yesterday. Had a bit of a headache so I just wanted to go out and play around some. The weather was in the 70's, which is unseasonably cool for this time of year. It was sunny outside. And there was very little wind, either at my back or in my face. In other words, it was a damned near perfect day except for the traffic. The Brickyard 400 is this weekend and I live 1 mile from the race track. Needless to say the traffic was a little thick this afternoon.

If I had a good straight stretch of road (as opposed to riding around in a housing edition), no wind, no cars to dodge and had my 700x23 tires on the bike I could probably squeeze out close to 15MPH. But those conditions never seem to exist for me. :(

Today's Ride on August 6th: (Specialized Road)
Total Ride Time = 01:00:00 (cyclometer)
Total AvgHR = 116 BPM (60.73% of MaxHR of 191) 01:00:00 (HRM)
Time in Zone (134 - 153) = 00:00:00
HR below 134 = 00:59:47.3 (?? Don't know where the other 12.7 seconds went)
Distance = 14.23 Miles
Avg Speed = 14.2 MPH
Max Speed = 17.6 MPH

Also, I'd like to point out that I stopped after an hour. I've noticed when riding and watching my heart rate that on the 1/2 hour, 1 hour and 2 hour marks I experience some cardiac drift. And it always seems to drift upward. Go figure.

Doctor Morbius said:
Ahhhhhhh! Had a much more productive day today. It didn't suck nearly as bad as yesterday. Had a bit of a headache so I just wanted to go out and play around some. The weather was in the 70's, which is unseasonably cool for this time of year. It was sunny outside. And there was very little wind, either at my back or in my face. In other words, it was a damned near perfect day except for the traffic. The Brickyard 400 is this weekend and I live 1 mile from the race track. Needless to say the traffic was a little thick this afternoon.

If I had a good straight stretch of road (as opposed to riding around in a housing edition), no wind, no cars to dodge and had my 700x23 tires on the bike I could probably squeeze out close to 15MPH. But those conditions never seem to exist for me. :(

Today's Ride on August 6th: (Specialized Road)
HR below 134 = 00:59:47.3 (?? Don't know where the other 12.7 seconds went)
Distance = 14.23 Miles
Avg Speed = 14.2 MPH
Max Speed = 17.6 MPH

Also, I'd like to point out that I stopped after an hour. I've noticed when riding and watching my heart rate that on the 1/2 hour, 1 hour and 2 hour marks I experience some cardiac drift. And it always seems to drift upward. Go figure.

YOU DID THE ENTIRE HOUR AT 60%??? COOL! I was just piddling with 5 minute increments. Monkeyed like that for an hour, then just got after it a bit more, Put in about 46 miles today.

Have you found it to be an interesting excercise? It's tougher than people think to intentionally go slow. And the workout is still there, I still sweat, don't suffer as hard, and use less water. It's almost a great deal of fun.

For fun, here's a barnburner (for me anyway), 2 miles. My best aero position (no aero bars though), and all I could give for 2 miles. I "maybe" could have gone more... not sure though. I was happy to take the next miles easier, I'll tell ya that... This was slightly aided by favorable wind, maybe 10%, hard to calculate but aided I'm sure.

stormer94 said:
YOU DID THE ENTIRE HOUR AT 60%??? COOL! I was just piddling with 5 minute increments. Monkeyed like that for an hour, then just got after it a bit more, Put in about 46 miles today.

Have you found it to be an interesting excercise? It's tougher than people think to intentionally go slow. And the workout is still there, I still sweat, don't suffer as hard, and use less water. It's almost a great deal of fun.
Yes. I always like to ride at least that long when taking a measurment so that I'm sure there isn't any assistance, such as wind at my back or riding down hill. That way if I ride in a loop for an hour I'll be certain that it isn't just a fluke (or at least less of one). Also, as I stated before there are certain increments where cardiac drift comes into play. Yesterday my first hour was at 15.5 MPH and the second hour sucked so royaly that it dropped my average down to 15.1. Today's ride was only 0.9 MPH slower but my average HR was also 21 BPM less. The wind yesterday must have made quite a bit of difference, as DHK pointed out.

I didn't actually count my cadence for this ride but it was s-l-o-w. I'm guessing around 65 to 70 RPMs.

Has this been an interesting exercise? Yes. I'm trying to experiment around to find a good energy saving speed/HR/cadence to do a century. I had hoped to be there by now but am not quite in good enough shape. The furthest I've ridden is 80 miles and it took me 5 Hrs & 56 minutes. My AvgHR for the ride was 141 BPM (73.82% of MaxHR of 191). This time didn't include the 2 breaks I took, which may have been up to 10 minutes each. I also have some troubles being in the saddle that long. It just hurts. My rump hurts, my feet hurt and my hands get so numb sometimes that I can't feel my fingers.

Has this been an interesting exercise? Yes. I'm trying to experiment around to find a good energy saving speed/HR/cadence to do a century. I had hoped to be there by now but am not quite in good enough shape. The furthest I've ridden is 80 miles and it took me 5 Hrs & 56 minutes. My AvgHR for the ride was 141 BPM (73.82% of MaxHR of 191). This time didn't include the 2 breaks I took, which may have been up to 10 minutes each. I also have some troubles being in the saddle that long. It just hurts. My rump hurts, my feet hurt and my hands get so numb sometimes that I can't feel my fingers.

So now, the tricky part is this. Do you feel you are better off to slow the cadence and let your pulse drop knowing that with lower cadence to maintain speed requires more muscle power.

Are we "really" conserving energy or not? The pulse is lower, but are the legs working just that little extra harder to compensate? I suspect they have to be. The work load is low enough, however, it may not be an issue. I think we are likely talking about 80-90 watts, maybe less.

stormer94 said:
So now, the tricky part is this. Do you feel you are better off to slow the cadence and let your pulse drop knowing that with lower cadence to maintain speed requires more muscle power.

Are we "really" conserving energy or not? The pulse is lower, but are the legs working just that little extra harder to compensate? I suspect they have to be. The work load is low enough, however, it may not be an issue. I think we are likely talking about 80-90 watts, maybe less.
It's a real trade off and I'm not really sure about the answer. I would have to say that a fit rider, such as Gntlmn, is better off using the cadence as they have the aerobic conditioning in their favor. A putz like me is better off efficiency wise using the slow cadence and relying on the legs to do the work.

However, that being said, I've noticed that if I ride with the slower cadence for a few days straight my legs feel like I've been to the gym (sore and tight) and my knees will give me some troubles. Also, at a slower cadence I'm going to burn my glycogen stores more quickly than if I spin around 85+ RPMs. I don't think I could ride for several hours with the slower cadence without wreaking havoc on the kind of ride I had today. Had I ridden a second hour I'm sure my average speed would have suffered just as it did yesterday.

If I ride with a faster cadence my legs and knees feel much better after, say 4 to 5 consecutive days of riding. The slower cadence only allows me to do a limited amount of riding. Going for longish rides or multiple days of riding will inevitibly cause me some problems. At 44, the last thing I need is a knee problem. I already have a bad back.

Doctor Morbius said:
It's a real trade off and I'm not really sure about the answer. I would have to say that a fit rider, such as Gntlmn, is better off using the cadence as they have the aerobic conditioning in their favor. A putz like me is better off efficiency wise using the slow cadence and relying on the legs to do the work.

However, that being said, I've noticed that if I ride with the slower cadence for a few days straight my legs feel like I've been to the gym (sore and tight) and my knees will give me some troubles. Also, at a slower cadence I'm going to burn my glycogen stores more quickly than if I spin around 85+ RPMs. I don't think I could ride for several hours with the slower cadence without wreaking havoc on the kind of ride I had today. Had I ridden a second hour I'm sure my average speed would have suffered just as it did yesterday.

If I ride with a faster cadence my legs and knees feel much better after, say 4 to 5 consecutive days of riding. The slower cadence only allows me to do a limited amount of riding. Going for longish rides or multiple days of riding will inevitibly cause me some problems. At 44, the last thing I need is a knee problem. I already have a bad back.

I hear you on the knee problem (Morbius @ 44 = Geezer... )
:p j/k

If the whether is nice tomorrow I might try to hold the lower pulse for an entire hour, an out and back kind of affair. Was thinking I might put in 50 miles tomorrow, I feel pretty good right now, today was a good ride. Just looked at the weather, supposed to be 30% chance of T-storms and windy in the afternoon.... Hmmm. Maybe I figured out how I can get my computer to show 30mph for an hour.... just get in line with some of that 40 mph stuff... WHOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!

I bet the ride into that 40mph wind would be in the 39-27 with 140 pulse going 10.1mph..... coming back, 36mph 110 cadence 130 pulse... heheh.

stormer94 said:
I hear you on the knee problem (Morbius @ 44 = Geezer... )
:p j/k

If the whether is nice tomorrow I might try to hold the lower pulse for an entire hour, an out and back kind of affair. Was thinking I might put in 50 miles tomorrow, I feel pretty good right now, today was a good ride. Just looked at the weather, supposed to be 30% chance of T-storms and windy in the afternoon.... Hmmm. Maybe I figured out how I can get my computer to show 30mph for an hour.... just get in line with some of that 40 mph stuff... WHOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!

I bet the ride into that 40mph wind would be in the 39-27 with 140 pulse going 10.1mph..... coming back, 36mph 110 cadence 130 pulse... heheh.
Geezer is right! I did about 5 hours worth of work on my Mom's yard yesterday and my back is killing me!! I made sure I did it after my ride though. ;)

For the past 2 days I've tried to match the ride I had on Friday. Yesterday didn't quite cut it. However, today I did better. I still had to come to an almost complete stop for cars twice (just as I did yesterday). And it was less windy than yesterday but a little more windy than Friday.

Had I not had to come to a near dead stop twice and if I had thinner tires on the bike I know I would have broken 15 MPH at 60% of MaxHR today.

Again, I ride for an hour while doing these kinds of tests as I feel that 5 minutes here or there won't really give me the full picture. And these are real world conditions as opposed to testing on a trainer. Probably not a big deal but with a trainer you can't take into account wind conditions, traffic and turns. Seems like I always lose some momentum after a turn.

Today's Ride on August 8th: (Specialized Sequoia)
Total Ride Time = 01:00:01 (cyclometer)
Total AvgHR = 115 BPM (60.21% of MaxHR of 191) 01:00:00 (HRM)
HR below 134 = 01:00:00
Distance = 14.80 Miles (compared to Friday's 14.23 MPH and yesterday's 13.8 MPH)
Avg Speed = 14.8 MPH
Max Speed = 17.1MPH

Ride on August 7th: (Specialized Sequoia)
Total AvgHR = 119 BPM (62.30% of MaxHR of 191) 01:00:01 (HRM)
HR below 134 = 01:00:01
Distance = 13.80 Miles (compared to yesterday's 14.23 )
Avg Speed = 13.8MPH
Max Speed = 18.1MPH

Ride on August 6th: (Specialized Sequoia)
HR below 134 = 00:59:47.3 (Don't know what happened to the other 12.7 seconds)
Distance = 14.23 Miles
Avg Speed = 14.2 MPH
Max Speed = 17.6 MPH

Keeping in mind that the '04 Specialized Sequoia Elite is not known for being a fast bike on the road and that I weigh 245 LBS, I think I'm doing alright.

By the end of this month I'm going to put on narrower tires and take the bike to one of those rails to trails places early in the morning before the walkers, joggers and mullets have a chance to infest the place. Perhaps I can get a better time then.

Doctor Morbius said:
Geezer is right! I did about 5 hours worth of work on my Mom's yard yesterday and my back is killing me!! I made sure I did it after my ride though. ;)

For the past 2 days I've tried to match the ride I had on Friday. Yesterday didn't quite cut it. However, today I did better. I still had to come to an almost complete stop for cars twice (just as I did yesterday). And it was less windy than yesterday but a little more windy than Friday.

Had I not had to come to a near dead stop twice and if I had thinner tires on the bike I know I would have broken 15 MPH at 60% of MaxHR today.

Again, I ride for an hour while doing these kinds of tests as I feel that 5 minutes here or there won't really give me the full picture. And these are real world conditions as opposed to testing on a trainer. Probably not a big deal but with a trainer you can't take into account wind conditions, traffic and turns. Seems like I always lose some momentum after a turn.

Today's Ride on August 8th: (Specialized Sequoia)
Total Ride Time = 01:00:01 (cyclometer)
Total AvgHR = 115 BPM (60.21% of MaxHR of 191) 01:00:00 (HRM)
HR below 134 = 01:00:00
Distance = 14.80 Miles (compared to Friday's 14.23 MPH and yesterday's 13.8 MPH)
Avg Speed = 14.8 MPH
Max Speed = 17.1MPH

Ride on August 7th: (Specialized Sequoia)
Total AvgHR = 119 BPM (62.30% of MaxHR of 191) 01:00:01 (HRM)
HR below 134 = 01:00:01
Distance = 13.80 Miles (compared to yesterday's 14.23 )
Avg Speed = 13.8MPH
Max Speed = 18.1MPH

Ride on August 6th: (Specialized Sequoia)
HR below 134 = 00:59:47.3 (Don't know what happened to the other 12.7 seconds)
Distance = 14.23 Miles
Avg Speed = 14.2 MPH
Max Speed = 17.6 MPH

Keeping in mind that the '04 Specialized Sequoia Elite is not known for being a fast bike on the road and that I weigh 245 LBS, I think I'm doing alright.

By the end of this month I'm going to put on narrower tires and take the bike to one of those rails to trails places early in the morning before the walkers, joggers and mullets have a chance to infest the place. Perhaps I can get a better time then.

That's cool man. The weather yesterday was the windiest I've tried to ride in this summer. An interesting ride, but nothing that is usable in a thread on low HR riding. Courtesy of the wind, I did have a pretty speedy section at 31.1mph average and hold it for over 2 miles. I know it was wind aided, but I felt like a badass just the same...
;) Gotta take that motivation where you can get it. That's the only cool part about riding into the wind, you know you get to FLY on the return trip.

This one hill I did into the wind, I came DOWN HILL on a 4% grade, peddling with pulse at 125-130, only managed an average speed of 12.8mph... now THAT is a wind. I don't know what the wind was "actually", but I know I can come down that hill on a calm day with little or no peddling at 30+. Crazy.

Hmmm.. very interesting thing to try. Usually I have a hard time keeping my HR down below 130bpm as I find it rather uncomfortable to deliberately go slow.

I'm on the other end of things when it comes to spinning. Average on a ride, my cadence is about 105rpm. And true enough on a trainer where conditions are 'stable', its the cadence which my legs and heart feel the best compromise.

Think I'll do the 60% thing for an hour one of these days to see how I go ... :D Of course at my preferred cadence. I suspect I'll need to bring out the 34T chainring to do it...

As for the shift in heart rates after an hour ? Its usually because you're slightly dehydrated and your blood is somewhat not flowing as fluidly, hence putting extra strain on your heart. Consciously drink more next time, chances are the 'shift' will not be so dramatic.

I would never waste my time going on a 60% MHR ride. I tried 60% MHR for over 5 minutes and I got a speed of 13.1 mph (no wind, in the flats). I am 20% fat, 171.6lbs, been biking for a year, and I ride a $3033 Cervelo Soloist Team bike (17 lbs). It has DuraAce, Ksyrium SSC SL's, FSA Carbon Superlight, 200g pedals. I'm 35 years old.

JTE83 said:
I would never waste my time going on a 60% MHR ride. I tried 60% MHR for over 5 minutes and I got a speed of 13.1 mph (no wind, in the flats). I am 20% fat, 171.6lbs, been biking for a year, and I ride a $3033 Cervelo Soloist Team bike (17 lbs). It has DuraAce, Ksyrium SSC SL's, FSA Carbon Superlight, 200g pedals. I'm 35 years old.

:rolleyes:

Are you aware of the Cervelo recall? Hopefully you are safe.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03169.html

Heck, I probably paid more for my bathroom scale than you did for that bike... Don't get me wrong I'm a Cervelo fan.

Why is it a waste of time?

Doctor Morbius said:

That sounds impressive to me. :)

I checked our weather, we have **** all this week. Gonna be tough to get anything like that done for a while... :(

stormer94 said:
:rolleyes:

Are you aware of the Cervelo recall? Hopefully you are safe.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03169.html

Heck, I probably paid more for my bathroom scale than you did for that bike... Don't get me wrong I'm a Cervelo fan.

Why is it a waste of time?

Thanks for the recall link, but I knew about my fork. Yes I have the same fork -- and I still use it despite the recall. I just check it before every ride -- it's a very "fast" fork design and I like it. It was on Tyler Hamilton's race bike - so that's why I ride it.

I got my Cervelo for cheap by buying from ebay! Frame & Fork & Seatpoist & headset -- $968 FSA Carbon Superlight Crank $256 (ebay) Otherwise, if I paid store prices, my $3033 bike would have cost me $3800

I trained at 86% MHR and my avg speed per heart rate increased. See the thread -- Did I make a Big Training Mistake?

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=168834&page=1&pp=15

I guess I'm trying 79% MHR ride for a awhile now.

Doctor Morbius said:

Well, Now I went further today for a section, and did a loop to average things out as you have been (I'm starting to be of the mind that a loop is a better test). about 20 minutes of riding. 14.4mph av HR of 109 or 60% of max. Not as good as before. You're getting faster, and I'm going to ****... :)

Although I have some new thoughts on the "loop" idea. If it's windy like it was here today, out of a 20 minute ride 13 of which was into the wind on the way out, and 7 of which was with the wind on the way back. Almost seems as though a person should ride the same time, not the same distance to get a speed reading, otherwise the into the wind leg is taking up more than it's share of the average.

If I take the average of the fast section with the average of the slow section, it works out to 15.5mph average. When you calculate the time in, it slows it down because you are in the slow section longer. That way worked out to be 14.4mph avg as a loop.

-Hmmmmm.