Your Thoughts on Donating a Road Bicycle

leslierc8853

Sep 11, 2004
Hello! I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this question is being posted in the wrong area. I own a 2004 Giant TCR Alloy, a 2003 Performance Forte, and I am just now purchasing a 2004 Kestrel Talon Road w/Ultegra 9spd package. My plans are to keep only the Giant and Kestrel bicycles; thus my question. I think I would like to donate (i.e., give away) the Forte to someone who could use and appreciate a good bicycle. The Forte is equipped with Shimano 105 components and is in excellent condition - no accidents, drops, scratches or chips - and has about 300 miles on it. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice - I am not looking to make anything on this transaction. Thanks!

I admire your generosity and used to give away bikes and such things myself. I learned my lesson. The problem is that you often become that persons bicycle mechanic for life. Since you gave it to them, they will call you whenever they hear a funny sound, think the bike needs adjustment, or for just about any other reason.

BTW, I used to do the same thing when I bought new computers and soon found out I was now tech support for life. But maybe its just me.

Now I donate my stuff to charities that have auctions and garage sales. I get a tax right-off, they make money for a worthwhile cause, and someone gets a great item for pennies on the dollar. Most importantly, I never hear from the new owner!

OK, admittedly not everyone looks a gift-horse in the mouth and becomes a pain in the ass, but it happened too many times to ignore. It's really sad in a way.

I'll pay for the shipping to Indianapolis and promise that I will never ever ever call or bother you for any help/advice on servicing the bike ... EVER!!

gruppo said:
...I used to do the same thing when I bought new computers and soon found out I was now tech support for life. But maybe its just me.
Unfortunately, it's not just you! I hate doing the free tech support for life gig. Absolutely hate it. I've even told people specifically that this is an "as is item" and I will not provide any tech support for any reason yet they still call! There's no way around it. Now I just say, "call Dell or somebody else ... anybody else."

The last bike I gave away was to a friend. It was an old Schwinn LeTour that I had since I was a young lad. He sold it at a garage sale for $15 a couple of years ago and I'm still mad at him. :mad: It was a perfect commuter/beater bike. Actually, it wasn't even a beater. It was in fantastic shape for it's age. Hell, I would have given him the $15 if I knew he was going to sell it.

Doctor Morbius said:
Unfortunately, it's not just you! I hate doing the free tech support for life gig. Absolutely hate it. I've even told people specifically that this is an "as is item" and I will not provide any tech support for any reason yet they still call! There's no way around it. Now I just say, "call Dell or somebody else ... anybody else."

The last bike I gave away was to a friend. It was an old Schwinn LeTour that I had since I was a young lad. He sold it at a garage sale for $15 a couple of years ago and I'm still mad at him. :mad: It was a perfect commuter/beater bike. Actually, it wasn't even a beater. It was in fantastic shape for it's age. Hell, I would have given him the $15 if I knew he was going to sell it.
I have a good friend who can not afford a road bike, she would love it. What size frame is it?
I'd gladly pay you shipping and packaging and everything else for it.

Also, if you do not wish to send out the bike to someone and want to do the donation locally you should check out www.Freecycle.org and see if you have a freecycle community in your city. Freecycle is a community where members post items they wish to give away to other members, there are no sales allowed. You may also run across some items you wish to acquire from someone else.

larue said:
I have a good friend who can not afford a road bike, she would love it. What size frame is it?
I'd gladly pay you shipping and packaging and everything else for it.

Sorry that I neglected to include the size; it's a "56".

leslierc8853 said:
Hello! I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this question is being posted in the wrong area. I own a 2004 Giant TCR Alloy, a 2003 Performance Forte, and I am just now purchasing a 2004 Kestrel Talon Road w/Ultegra 9spd package. My plans are to keep only the Giant and Kestrel bicycles; thus my question. I think I would like to donate (i.e., give away) the Forte to someone who could use and appreciate a good bicycle. The Forte is equipped with Shimano 105 components and is in excellent condition - no accidents, drops, scratches or chips - and has about 300 miles on it. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice - I am not looking to make anything on this transaction. Thanks!

is the bike silver? ive been frantically searhing for one thats performance brand and silver from a coupleof years ago. I always saw that and thought it would be a great bike for my dad who is not able to spend the money one one.

56 is a perfect size. let me know if you are interested in shipping it out.

larue said:
56 is a perfect size. let me know if you are interested in shipping it out.
also would you please know if you are interested in shipping it out

leslierc8853 said:

It sounds like "larue" and "alex100" are interested in the bike. If that's the case, one of you will get it - but I want to be fair. Perhaps you both could send me an email telling me about your plans for the bike and why it would be important to you to get it. I received word today that my Kestrel Talon is on its way and that it will take about 4-5 days to arrive. I would like to send the Forte out when the Kestrel arrives.

leslierc8853 said:
It sounds like "larue" and "alex100" are interested in the bike. If that's the case, one of you will get it - but I want to be fair. Perhaps you both could send me an email telling me about your plans for the bike and why it would be important to you to get it. I received word today that my Kestrel Talon is on its way and that it will take about 4-5 days to arrive. I would like to send the Forte out when the Kestrel arrives.
Leslierc, I sent you a private message

leslierc8853 said:
But... but ... I promised to never call you for any of that bothersome tech support!

A 56cm frame translastes to 22 inches. I'm currently bidding on a 56cm full 105 bike on a popular auction site. The only problem I would have with a standard road bike is the stem. I have a bad lower back and can't lean forward like that anymore as it causes too much stress.

larue said:
Did you happen to decide what to do with your bike? Who got lucky?

Not yet. I've been preoccupied with putting down new floors and carpets in 4 rooms in my house. [Translation - I've been moving furniture.] It's between you and Alex001. I'll make a decision by this coming Tuesday.

leslierc8853 said:
Not yet. I've been preoccupied with putting down new floors and carpets in 4 rooms in my house. [Translation - I've been moving furniture.] It's between you and Alex001. I'll make a decision by this coming Tuesday.
Good luck with the carpeting, that can become a pain unless you really know what you are doing, and I don't ;)

larue said:
Good luck with the carpeting, that can become a pain unless you really know what you are doing, and I don't ;)
I know, it takes forever to put carpet down

leslierc8853 said:

Well, here's what I did. My wife reminded me that we have a very nice neighbor who might be interested in the bike. I asked him and he told me that he had been thinking about obtaining a bike for himself so that he could keep up with his son and daughter when they rode their bikes. I gladly gave him the bike and he is now the proud owner of a 2003 Performance Forte.

well I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed, but I'm glad the bike went to someone who could use it. maybe your neighbor will really take to it and you'll have a riding partner in the future.
take care. :)