Your thoughts on strength training for the legs

fergie said:
So your saying Maglishco first section where he goes on about the application of Newtons third law is wrong because swimming is about feel rather than forces. Rather than a biomechanical process lets have "feel":D
No I'm saying the in this section, he himself plea guilty of having been wrong on his assumption that bernouli's lift theories were mostly responsible for forward motion.

Newton's third has on the other hand always been involved in explaining most drag forces. Now they are believed to be involved in most of the forward propulsion. But that doesn't really matter.

Are you trying to trap me or anything?

Let me again explain you were you got lost. I stated that as a coach, our role is to teach swimmers how to feel theses principles without even mentioning about them. Because swimmers rely on feeling obviously.

So. Understanding the principle is not wrong. But teaching stroke mechanics to a 8yo kid this way won't put her on the podium. Remember that swimming begins at early age. This is why I made this reference to how these study results have little impact on how swimming is being taught. Scullings are those lateral movements artistic swimmers do to generate lift (or lifting drag whatever).

Eureka. I now have a way to explain you. These findings also apply to artistic (or figure I'm not sure) swimming. However, you don't teach those little girls how to generate enough lift to elevate both legs up by explaining Bernouli, then Newtown's, then maybe back to Bernouli. They're too young, and they wouldn't know how to translate this theory themselves. So for them as well, these findings or new hypothesis Rushall made is of low relevance in how technique is being taught.

Clear?

Why don't you stop trying to trap me on my territory Fergie, it's a dead end! All you're going to create is this sort of situation where I'll keep on teaching you swimming. It's ridiculous.

fergie said:
Otherwise I would be on my Spin bike with Gimmickcranks, alternating between biceps curls and behind the neck triceps press warm up for a set of leg press, squats, lunges, Powercleans just to make sure I hit the muscles from every angle.
Calling that weight program a strength program would be a good joke Fergie. Thanks for bringing a chuckle to my day!

SolarEnergy said:
Are you trying to trap me or anything?

You seem to be digging a hole quite nicely by yourself.

Let me again explain you were you got lost. I stated that as a coach, our role is to teach swimmers how to feel theses principles. Because swimmers rely on feeling obviously.

Because of the skill involved in each stroke?

So. Understanding the principle is not wrong. But teaching stroke mechanics to a 8yo kid this way won't put her on the podium. Remember that swimming begins at early age. This is why I made this reference to how these study results have little impact on how swimming is being taught.

Athletes don't need to know the science behind anything, they just need to perform and be prepared the best they can. So just to be sure (before you edit your post again) you coach your young kids on opinion of what is right rather than the science?

fergie said:
We coach cyclists to use their core while riding.

How and why is this done, what is the scientific explanation for the necessity to use the core ?

fergie said:
Because of the skill involved in each stroke?
No. Not entirely.

1. Sight (available for reading the clock)
2. Smell (not relevant)
3. Hearing (you can hear speed)
4. Touch (the most relevant)
5. Taste (well, I'll skip that one)

So as you can see, the sense of touch is the most available to a swimmer. We constantly refer to it. Good swimmers don't need to see themselves, they feel the gestures and that's enough. They see the clock to pace themselves but that's about all they see.

A swimmer's body, over time, can detect variations in forward velocity as well as some of the drag forces that interfere with this forward velocity. Again to use an analogy, the body is equipped with several sensors (like those added to car, or air planes).

Their hands can feel a certain level of pressure as they pull. This is our strain gage. It doesn't return absolute torque value of course, but it does return a stroke per stroke basis RPE.

Feeling of pressure under the palm of the hand, body sensors that monitor forward velocity and detect drag forces that interfere with forward velocity along counting strokes and pacing with the clock. That's how swimmer assess their evolution in the pool.

fergie said:
So just to be sure (before you edit your post again) you coach your young kids on opinion of what is right rather than the science?
For kids, that goes without saying yes.

Now, and that alone could be a multi-page thread on a swim forum, I also teach adults (triathletes coming from a non swimming background) pretty much the same way. I try to teach first to their senses, then to their brain.

n crowley said:
How and why is this done, what is the scientific explanation for the necessity to use the core ?

Woah there Noel, you don't get to ask us questions till you do us the courtesy of explaining why you never took the opportunity of testing your theory of pedalling with force measuring pedals.

SolarEnergy said:
A swimmer's body, over time, can detect variations in forward velocity as well as some of the drag forces that interfere with this forward velocity. Again to use an analogy, the body is equipped with several sensors (like those added to car, or air planes).

So in a roundabout way and this time without the personal insults (congrats) you are saying that swimming in each of the strokes is very highly skilled movement.

So why risk the skill development with resistance exercises. It's ludicrous that people use two different training stimuli and expect the same result.

In the specific phase of preparation all the training for the cyclist is done on the bike and riding a bike requires far less skill than any of the swimming strokes.

SolarEnergy said:
All details provided in this particular page are fairly accurate. There are no scientific data available on this topic at this point, at least not one single paper that I know about.

Doesn't really matter does it? All of them except a few must be done dry land. The purpose of this argument that we're having (for what it's now worth) is to confirm that non specific (dry land in the case of swimming) exercising has its relevance in several sports discipline. That the conclusion expressed by certain members stating that weights won't make you better at your sport no matter the discipline is not founded. Swimming (which is the one I used to illustrate this principle since it's one I know) is no exception. If you spend all your time in a pool, relying on specificity, specificity, specificity (the title of your last and only album) you will be a slower swimmer. Period. That's why no one does that.

I also stand by my assumption made for other disciplines such as Alpine Skiing, diving, 100m sprint (track and field), football/rugby, Ice Hockey and the remaining of the very long list.

The one area where weight training excels, more than any other activity, is adding on muscle mass. In sports like long distance cycling, running, etc; increased body mass, even lean muscle mass, is a distinct disadvantage. In sports like Rugby, football, ice hockey, and even downhill skiing, increased lean muscle mass has no real downside. If I were coaching American football or rugby players, I would have them lifting. Being big on the field is a distinct advantage in most positions. I don't know how increased muscle mass effects swimming, since some it is largely displaced, but it might not be the kg per kg detriment it is in cycling (--again beyond the sprint events.) Again, in wrestling and sports like gymnastics, the goals is to get stronger, without really increasing gross body mass. For a wrestler, increased mass means you can't make weight; for a gymast, its more mass you have to move. So weight training becomes an activity that can both help and hurt your ability to compete, depending upon you body composition. As soon as our body fat percentage dips to a certain level, strength gains by lifting will only come at the expense of extra body mass.

Again, one of the issues with resistance/strength training is the issue of increased body mass. One of the reasons why I did not join the family branch who are swimmers was due in part to significant differences in body type and shape. While the family swimmers are very tall and long (male 6'2" plus with very long arms and legs; and females close to 5'10"), I was built much different. As a group, they are also not nearly as lean as me and my brother who were wrestlers. Although the swimmers were very impressive athletes, I would venture to say that their body fat percentage was a bit higher than the wrestling branch, and certainly another brother who was a very competitive national class distance runner. Even a phenom like Phelps is carrying around a lot more body mass and a higher body fat percentage than any endurance cyclist. He's certainly not "fat" by any definition, but swimmers are not as lean as some other racers.

I can say that the typical weight trained athlete sinks like a stone. This has been empirically and scientifically proven on every ocassion that the swimming branch of the family took revenge on me through a "friendly" game of water polo. Body builders and other very lean heavily muscled athletes have very little natural bouancy. By very little, I mean none-- so we are treading water constantly to stay afloat. I had the misfortune of having to do lifeguard training during spring wrestling tournament season and practically drowned because the "rescuer" could not get me off the bottom of the pool. I can't see how freakishly low body fat percentages which are prized in sports like wrestling or cycling translates as well in sports requiring some level of bouancy.

So, without getting into you and Fergie's sand throwing contest, I do think that making an argument like weight training is good for swimming, therefore its good for cycling, is specious. It is certainly good for events where increased body mass is a net benefit to the sport; Am football, basketball, hockey, etc; and it might even be relatively neutral or have a slight positive effect for certain sports like sprinting and swimming. But in sports where body mass is a net detriment, like endurance cycling, long distance running, or horse jockey, I don't think that your argument holds much water. At a minimum, you are working two totally separate and inconsistent goals, mass loss v. strength gain. As a wrestler, I am acutely aware of the close correlation between body mass and strength. It is very dificult to lift heavy and not get heavier. It's a natural response to the stress you are placing on your body. Its also why we have weight classes. An extra 6 kg of body mass in the middle weight categories translates into a huge strength advantage that is almost insurmountable. In the lower weight classes, the differences are only 3 or 4 kgs. The same is true in competitive lifting events.

And in swimming, its not just mass, its where the mass is located. If you look at world class swimmers, most of them are very long, not just tall, but they have very long extremities, and have a very high percentage of body fat in comparison to other world class athletes. And they look nothing like the cyclists on the tour or really like any other athlete in Olympic competition. Just like I could probably pick out the basketball players from a crowd, it would be very easy to pick out the swimmers. You couldn't differentiate between long distance runners or cyclists.

Your training techniques for swimming might be and probably is very sound. But cycling is not a gravity neutral sport; and body mass matters. Investing in an activity that increases strength, but at an increase of body mass, might not be the best approach.

kopride said:
In sports like Rugby, football, ice hockey, and even downhill skiing, increased lean muscle mass has no real downside. If I were coaching American football or rugby players, I would have them lifting. Being big on the field is a distinct advantage in most positions.

Within reason. Big is not good if it limits speed or skill.

Again, in wrestling and sports like gymnastics, the goals is to get stronger, without really increasing gross body mass. For a wrestler, increased mass means you can't make weight; for a gymast, its more mass you have to move.
In Gymnastics (a sport I have done and competed in) most do not do weight training as again they develop excellent fitness for their sport from learning to improve at their sport. When trying to learn different apparatus why add to the training stimulus when technique is what you are judged on, not size or muscles or what you can squat. Extra muscle also limits flexibility. There is a trade off between power and flexibility but the more powerful head to artistic gymnastics and the more flexible to rhythmic.

So, without getting into you and Fergie's sand throwing contest,
Well when one side is using science and the other appeals to authority, anecdote, celebrity endorsement and opinion there is little hope for reasoned debate and Solar has to resort to personal insult. Pretty amateur really.

fergie said:
Woah there Noel, you don't get to ask us questions till you do us the courtesy of explaining why you never took the opportunity of testing your theory of pedalling with force measuring pedals.

The use of the core in pedalling is the root cause of cycling's lower back pain. What is it about the "linear" technique you want the force measuring pedals to confirm. Linear pedalling is not a theory, it's a fact with a sound biomechanical explanation. When cleats/toe-clips/straps were introduced into cycling, it became possible to apply maximal crank torque in both forward and downward directions but researchers failed to discover this important fact. The linear technique is the perfected merging of both these forces over 180 deg. of the pedalling circle and the supply of adequate resistance for this purpose.

fergie said:
So why risk the skill development with resistance exercises. It's ludicrous that people use two different training stimuli and expect the same result.

We usually use dry land training for the reasons already mentioned earlier several times:
- Core development / maintenance
- Rotator's Cuff reinforcement, injury prevention, perfecting EVF
- To improve on non swim aspects (starts and turns mainly)
- Build better flexibility

Some, like Phelps (and if I had time, me as well) who are butterflyers are well aware about arm adduction is problematic at butterfly. He (and his coach) is taking the risk to move away from the specificity obtain during the gesture of swimming in order, like I said earlier, to target one hyper specific aspect of the pulling. But that's a little too technical for a non swimmer to evaluate if this is a good call or not. So let us not spend too much energy here. Phelps wins, and I am smart enough to avoid spending time on that since I, like most of us, live on a 10y/week schedule.

Breaststrokers, at least a lot of them, have no choice really.

To better understand why, try the following. Feet much larger than shoulder width. Squat in this position. That's what breaststroke kicking is about. Goal tenders in ice hockey, those who have a butterfly style have the same issue (even worst). They probably have no choice than creating controlled and hyper specific overload through specific conditioning exercises.

It's really a case per case call, hence my participation to this debate.

You usually won't find me writing >20 posts on a topic that's already been beaten to death. But really. Weights resistance training is highly important in several sports, some of which relying on it all year round.

So far, I've been very honest with you during this argument. Let me continue. In an attempt to find an example, I typed youtube.com then used swimming dryland as key word. This was 3rd hit.

It's relatively well done although I it's very swim like oriented. Like I said in my first post, some coaches are extra careful not to waste their swimmers' time, they go very swim specific.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37Ye_ADQ30&feature=PlayList&p=F2D0E3A0CA7565C6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9[/ame]

Others prefer a more generic approach, which is much more fun.
http://www.floswimming.org/videos/c...rkout/76663-gwinnett-aquatics-dryland-circuit

kopride said:
I don't know how increased muscle mass effects swimming, since some it is largely displaced, but it might not be the kg per kg detriment it is in cycling
Most dry land have no hypertrophy effect. And even when traditional weights approaches are used, there's an expression that says we're aiming at improving muscle strength on both ends only, meaning we just want to make them more resistant.

As for other sports, like I said, core for several of them, rehab for all sports without any exception that I can think of, and well. They are tools.

Now for improving efficiency or power etc, what other people want to do with weights in their respective discipline, not that I don't care, but I am really not best judge. Swimming is such a secret world that I tend to assume a certain level of complexity and "tricks and tips" and constraints to most other sports.

That's I mean really by it's a tool not having a brain. I truly believe that someone may find good ways to use these tools, even if I personally don't. That's the idea.

One area where I totally agree with you from one of your texts, it's really a matter of priority and time available.

When your original post included an apology for your childish behaviour I was going to let this thread settle but seeing it has gone from the edit I will continue to point out the error in your ways.

SolarEnergy said:
We usually use dry land training for the reasons already mentioned earlier several times:
- Core development / maintenance
- Rotator's Cuff reinforcement, injury prevention, perfecting EVF
- To improve on non swim aspects (starts and turns mainly)
- Build better flexibility

-Core development. So if strength is either developed by hypertrophy (and assuming that a swimmer doesn't want extra muscle in the same way Chris Hoys would prefer to have a smaller thighs or upper body for better aerodynamics and ability to hold a optimal position on the bike) or improving the message from the CNS to the muscle then how will training a different message to different muscle fibres improve the goal motor skill?

-Injury prevention. Seeing the skills of deadlift don't transfer to the skills of a squat (despite both involving both hip and knee extension) again how does dryland training transfer to a water based skill and therefore offer a greater level of protection.

-Same for the other areas, can you show us how one skills transfer's to another. Bit like becoming proficient in speaking German and then expecting to switch to speaking Spanish.
Some, like Phelps (and if I had time, me as well) who are butterflyers are well aware about arm adduction is problematic at butterfly. He (and his coach) is taking the risk to move away from the specificity obtain during the gesture of swimming in order, like I said earlier, to target one hyper specific aspect of the pulling. But that's a little too technical for a non swimmer to evaluate if this is a good call or not. So let us not spend too much energy here. Phelps wins, and I am smart enough to avoid spending time on that since I, like most of us, live on a 10y/week schedule.

I would expect the "I coach/train this way because Phelps trains this way" from a junior athlete not an experienced coach.

You usually won't find me writing >20 posts on a topic that's already been beaten to death. But really. Weights resistance training is highly important in several sports, some of which relying on it all year round.

No it isn't. Try repeating "there's no place like home" 3 time, click your heels and see if it gets you to Kansas. Some of us would like a little more evidence than "IMHO"

SolarEnergy said:
Most dry land have no hypertrophy effect.

In your humble opinion.

As for other sports, like I said, core for several of them, rehab for all sports without any exception that I can think of, and well. They are tools.

Again you are gaining strength through muscle mass or improving the message from CNS to the muscle. If you don't want to get bigger in your sport then you are training the message. Why do you persist in believing that 2 different training stimuli will lead to the same result?

Swimming is such a secret world that I tend to assume a certain level of complexity and "tricks and tips" and constraints to most other sports.

How hard is it? If you know the skill you are trying to develop and where the learner is currently at then the training to improve that skill shouldn't be rocket science. Especially in Swimming where the competition environment is pretty stable compared to 250km road cycling race or a Downhill Cycling Event that uses different course presenting different skill challenges every round of a competition like the World Cup.

fergie said:
In your humble opinion.
sorry I meant most dry land that I've been referring to so far. Those for EVF, core plus the other swim cord medicine ball and other exercises done in a number of reps that often pass 100. You can't be serious now, this is becoming real odd this attitude I find. All I've been wanting is for this to stop.

What the hell is wrong with you Fergie arguing on swimming with a swim coach. You don't know much about this sport after all.

Why do you continue arguing like that.

I think both you and Kopride agree that this weights dryland thing is sport dependend. Their importance vary according to sports specific constraint. I know my sport specific constraints much more than you do, or probably than you think.

I call a stop to this. We're in dead lock all right?

If you want to continue then I'd probably make the mistake of calling you troll or smart ass or anything I might regret.

I see you haven't edited your last post, would you like extra time to make your mind up?

fergie said:
I see you haven't edited your last post, would you like extra time to make your mind up?
you probably received my private already. That was your last edit, or so I truly hope.

Wow, nothing worse than a mad swimming coach. I will spend every hour in fear from now on.

SolarEnergy said:
sorry I meant most dry land that I've been referring to so far. Those for EVF, core plus the other swim cord medicine ball and other exercises done in a number of reps that often pass 100. You can't be serious now, this is becoming real odd this attitude I find. All I've been wanting is for this to stop.

Then stop presenting your opinion as if it were fact.
What the hell is wrong with you Fergie arguing on swimming with a swim coach. You don't know much about this sport after all.

I can see why you are getting upset when a cycling coach who jumps in the pool once every 3-4 years is upstaging you.

I think both you and Kopride agree that this weights dryland thing is sport dependend. Their importance vary according to sports specific constraint. I know my sport specific constraints much more than you do, or probably than you think.

Kopride and many others (checking the gymming for cycling thread) have presented valid arguments for the development of ability in several sports through sports specific training and the best you have is "Phelps does it"!

I call a stop to this. We're in dead lock all right?

I think you seriously over-estimate your position.
If you want to continue then I'd probably make the mistake of calling you troll or smart ass or anything I might regret.

Knock yourself out. I find your lack of understanding highly amusing.