Your ultimate bike!

Personally I would go for a specialized Tarmac, but I am a lowly student who is broke. So my standards are much lower!

Fondriest Top Carbon, Record Gruppo with carbon cranks, cinelli ram or Stella Azzurra carbon handlebars, Campy Eurus wheelset. Ahh, a man can dream can't he?!!

I do believe I have just found her. . .

Look KG486 Monobloque Carbon, 2004 Campag Chorus, FSA Carbon/Ti BB, FSA Team Issue Carbon Crank, Ksyrium SSC SL wheels, SLR Carbonio saddle, USE carbon seat post, Easton carbon bars and an easton alu stem. (Oh yes, and carbon bottle cages.) and she's all mine.

Here's a picture of the frame. I'll get a picture of her in her reasy to ride state this weekend.

how much did you pay for the frame labrat?I'm a saffa living in london(but coming home soon!) and want to compare prices overseas to SA.Colnago for one is amazingly overpriced, I bought my entire bike(c40 hp with 04 dura-ace and ksyriums sl) for a little more than just the frame sells for in SA!

Without much research at this point: my prefrence is the MADONE 5.9 with a Campy Gruppo.

madone59.jpg

I think I would try for something completely original. I've looked, and this design doesn't exist (yet). First I would start with a base design of a reticulated Python which is shown on this website http://www.python.tieflieger.net/. Notice that this is a two wheeled "vehicle" which steers from the middle of the frame by how you lean. If you lean left, it turns left. Hands and arms are free. You don't use them to steer.

Since you don't need your arms to steer, why not use them to contribute to horsepower? To do this, I would add a hand pedal assembly in addition to the front wheel drive foot pedal system. Finally, I would fair the front and add a body sock around the whole bicycle. Then I'd probably be able to cruise at more than 30 mph on the flats. That would be a great joy, and also a great upper and lower body workout, not to mention cardiovascular.

Here are examples of hand pedal assemblies: http://www.sail-s.com/MAIN/cart-s/Handcrank_Cycles/Handcrank_Cycles.htm

As you may have guessed, I'd use as much carbon fiber as possible and try to keep the total weight below 20 lbs. I think this is definitely achievable considering that although there is another assembly involved, the hand pedals, there also are no handlebars.

Originally posted by HandyAndy
how much did you pay for the frame labrat?I'm a saffa living in london(but coming home soon!) and want to compare prices overseas to SA.Colnago for one is amazingly overpriced, I bought my entire bike(c40 hp with 04 dura-ace and ksyriums sl) for a little more than just the frame sells for in SA!

Depending on where you shop, the frame and fork retails for between R20k to R25k (about 2500 - 3000 Euro). The closest price I could find was GBP1700, but then I would still have to pay shipping costs and import VAT.

I imported almost all of the parts, so I managed to save alot of money on the complete bike. With the volatility of the Rand, though, I doubt I could do it again.

Some else I know bought one and paid retail for it. (unlucky bugger)

A blue C'dale six13 with Dura-Ace for me. Failing that, a Look KG481SL..

and a Scalpel with full XTR and a Carbon Lefty for the off road stuff.

... please? ;)

Specialized Hardrock!!! Well that bike is actually an affordable one(it's also my bike)

If I had limited funds I would have get the Norco 4hun or NOrco Torrent.(which Imight get in 2-5 years time)

Originally posted by Lab_Rat
Depending on where you shop, the frame and fork retails for between R20k to R25k (about 2500 - 3000 Euro). The closest price I could find was GBP1700, but then I would still have to pay shipping costs and import VAT.

I imported almost all of the parts, so I managed to save alot of money on the complete bike. With the volatility of the Rand, though, I doubt I could do it again.

LR, where did you import from? Did you order from one of these internet sites e.g. www.probikekit.com?

Originally posted by Lab_Rat

LR, where did you import from? Did you order from one of these internet sites e.g. www.probikekit.com?

I like the Trek 5900 SSL except my local bike shop people claimed it was "a total piece of ****."...so...yeah...by the way probikekit.com is a cool site.

Top of the line De Rosa (what else?). I could settle for a cinquantenario, or even a nice King with a custom paint job (I am sure Ugo could be convinced for the right amount of money). Campagnolo Record, complete group, down to the seat post and pedals. Aliante saddle. Several sets of Campagnolo wheels. :cool:

None of that foreign stuff (Shim-stuff, etc etc ;) )

Of course, I would 'settle' for a Fondriest and/or a Scapin... :D

I ride my dream bike already ;)

Well, maybe not anymore, but when I build my road bike, I had pretty much an unlimited budget, so I rode a lot of bikes, and built up the frame of the one I liked best with exactly what I wanted. I guess I'd go with a new version of the frame, but other than that, I'm happy with my ride. I've grown accustomed to it I guess.

My dream bike changes with the weather... somedays I feel like Ti, some days carbon fiber. But about two weeks ago I got to take a replica of Tyler Hamilton's BMC Team SLT 01 out for a spin and it was nothing but magic. Light, stiff, and comfy. And the tubing looked pretty slick to boot. I'd take one with Dura Ace 10 and some ADA carbon wheels anyday.

Who's buying? :)

Imgomer; 'This may not be my "ultimate", but I just bought her and I'm pretty happy with her so far. I named her Marge, short for margarine. Cuz she's bettah than buttah.'

I quite like the bike too!