Your workout/training routine/regiment...on and off the bike

Robert Yuras

Apr 18, 2010
Well, I've figured out by reading this forum there is 1000 ways to argue about the best workout routine/regiment. Furthermore, there are 10,000 ways to do exactly that...workout. So, regardless of your opinion on others methods, I would like to know your routine. Doesn't matter your stature, doesn't matter your riding level. What do YOU do, that works best for you?? How long have you been doing it?? And what results have you measured??

Me:
Ride 3 times weekly (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday). 25-45 miles each ride. Varying terrain from flats to steep hills. I constantly focus on improving one thing weekly, whether it be hill climbing or pace speeds.

Off the bike I do simple floor calisthenics twice weekly (or three times weekly if I can only ride twice): Jump rope to 1000, 50-65 push ups, 60 leg lifts, 100 crunches, 40 curls with a band or bar.

I've been doing this for about 8 months. I've been habitually cycling for only 1 year. I've lost 18 pounds (from 198 to a nice lean 179/180). My pace was 13 mph when I started, now I'm riding at a pretty consistent 17-20 mph. I'm excited to start pushing into more hardcore training.

I'm excited to hear your responses. Its encouraging to be around people that love to cycle and be fit, isn't it?

That's exactly me. I started riding a year ago, at the same speeds, and now my speeds are exactly with yours, 17-20 mph. The only thing different was that I actually gained weight from 175-183 by gaining some legs instead of my previous twigs (being 6'4" tall). Actually they are still twigs, just a little thicker twigs :).

During the winter months on my trainer, my routine was very structured with a PM, but my routine on the road is not that detailed yet. For now I'm just keeping my time, rpm, and mph averages. As far as days, I will do 4-5 days/week, 2-3 weekdays @ 20-25 miles each, and 1-2 weekend days @ 30-40 miles each. Try to at least do 90-100 miles per week for now, and be at >=150mi per week by July.

Anyways, I plan on trying out some cat5 racing hopefully by 8/10-9/10, along with some centuries.

-Greg

I try to ride 6 days/week but sometimes life/work gets in the way of that.

T/R/S = intervals
M/W = easy/active recovery
Sun = long steady distance (65-100mi)
F = off

Weekend workouts are often substituted for races and active recovery days can be converted to off the bike recovery days. I try to do some maintanance core work, but have trouble finding time for that during the regular season.

Arthur Lydiard said it 50 years ago.

Build awesome condition
On this base of fitness hone your speed

Only things I do is a weekly session of MAP efforts and a week each month to work on Anaerobic Work Capacity. But still endurance focused rather than developing peak power or speed. Some wise man said "it's an aerobic sport Dammitt!!!