Your worst crash

gboff

Apr 23, 2004
What was your worst crash????

With mine I ended up wit a broken collarbone and rib and a fructured skull. Spent a week in hospital. Got out and 2 days later tried getting back on a bike. Head was still screwed up... still is haha. And I totalled my favourite helmet. Not happy!!!

So... that was my crash.:D

Originally posted by gboff
What was your worst crash????

With mine I ended up wit a broken collarbone and rib and a fructured skull. Spent a week in hospital. Got out and 2 days later tried getting back on a bike. Head was still screwed up... still is haha. And I totalled my favourite helmet. Not happy!!!

So... that was my crash.:D

Ouch - mine wasn't so bad. Back in 88 or 89, I was flying down the side of a highway and satup for a moment taking my hands of the handlebar. I forgot about one major crack in the road there & the wheel turned 90 degress in a split second throwing me over the handlebars right into the barriers on the side of the road so cars don't go into the wash. I lucked out as I didn't wear a helmet back then with only a few gashes in my back which of course also ruined my favorite shirt. Got back up and I still managed to ride to work.

Was trying a standing start on a hill...fell sideways and grazed my arm...

That's my worst.... hopefully till I retire.....

:D

Three guys crashed in a group with whom I was riding yesterday. One had severe abrasions to the face, another a head laceration and concussion, and the third a compound fracture (!) to the forearm - not pretty.

In this case the moral of the story was learn to keep your eyes on the road when fiddling with a water bottle.

Crashed last sat. while riding by myself. Another one of those inattention crashes, totally my own fault -- I lost my concentration and when I looked up, there was a nasty storm drain and I realized I couldn't avoid it. Hit it going 25-27mph, and it was so deep it completely wrenched the front wheel sideways and I went over, with the bike still attached to my feet. I got away with some nasty road rash and bruises. The helmet saved my head (I basically landed on my head and right shoulder), but wasn't cracked even. When I came to a stop from skidding, I was about 20 feet down from the drain :). A little lucky, I guess.

the guy in front of me peeled away from the paceline but swerved back when it was my turn at the front. hit my front whell just when i was standing on the pedal.

the damage:

1. broken bianchi carbon fork (later turned into a lampshade)
2. broken ksyrium spokes
3. busted tire.
4. a 5-inch laceration requiring 50 stitches on my right knee cap

A little old lady ran a red light at 60km/h just as i had entered the intersection from the cross street and collected me on her way through. The first point of impact was my right foot which was sprained. Thankfully I leaned into it and my feet uncliped in the impact. After wrecking her bumper, headlights, bonnet, windscreen and roof and cartwheeling through the air (I know I did 'cause I saw the sky and then the ground) I landed face down on the broken glass behind the car.
For some unknown reason I was able to calmly get up dust myself off and then walk off the road and sitt down on the verge before the pain arrived in my foot. I looked down the road to see my mangled bike about 20m away!

The fact that I am alive to write about it is testament to my good fortune (or someone smiling on me).

I was off the bike for two weeks before getting a new one and getting back on.

Eh, came unclipped whilst stomping on my fixie, did a forward somersault, caught the bike as it fell towards me and rode to the bar for some beers to assuage the pain of a sprained shoulder and two nice patches of road rash.

1. Car pulled in front of me then stopped as I descended a hill at 65km/h. I hit the rear, slammed my groin on the stem, then flew over the car and landed on the road in front. Broken forks, sore groin and a few scratches.
2. Track stand, lost balance, unable to clip out quick enough, fell to side and threw out my left arm and dislocated my shoulder when I hit the ground.
3. Took a corner too fast in the wet, slipped out and came down. Fractured left hip & pelvis plus a laceration near my left eye which left my eyebrow hanging off.

My worst, well, I have finally recovered from mine AFTER 8 WEEKS.

I was riding fast and a dog sees me and I usually escape them, but not this time. It saw me coming down the hill, it cut me off, I NAILED it. The dog turned my tire to the left, snapping my thumb back. My left leg unclipped and I skidded across the right side of the street standing up. Then I fell and skidded across the left side of the street, tearing off my left leg's skin and butt. My right arm got all cut up. Meanwhile, my right foot was still clipped in.

Luckily no car came or I would have died.

So I broke my thumb was in a cast for 4 weeks and then a brace for 4 weeks.

Least now I can ride again, but I am getting passed by everyone. OUT OF SHAPE.... DAMMIT

Originally posted by TrekDedicated
My worst, well, I have finally recovered from mine AFTER 8 WEEKS.

I was riding fast and a dog sees me and I usually escape them, but not this time. It saw me coming down the hill, it cut me off, I NAILED it. The dog turned my tire to the left, snapping my thumb back. My left leg unclipped and I skidded across the right side of the street standing up. Then I fell and skidded across the left side of the street, tearing off my left leg's skin and butt. My right arm got all cut up. Meanwhile, my right foot was still clipped in.

Luckily no car came or I would have died.

So I broke my thumb was in a cast for 4 weeks and then a brace for 4 weeks.

Least now I can ride again, but I am getting passed by everyone. OUT OF SHAPE.... DAMMIT

Did you kill the dog?

hauling buns down a hill, 45 mph, when I forgot about the turn to the right....took the hard way through the run off and into an embankment went head over heals (remember seeing my bike upside down and hoping it was okay!). After rolling over, I had only a broken collar bone. I was breathing and walked away. I was back in the saddle 12 weeks later.

Head down, 26 - 27 MPH on city street, pumping along about 6:30 in the morning, straight into a 12 inch deep pothole.

Off the bike, have a vague memory of twisting over upside down and the bike passing me in the air above me.

Dislocated both ends of right collar bone, fractured right shoulder socket. Lots of skin gone from right side of face. Looked quite scary to the kids there for a while.

Still doesn't beat my encounter with the deer on my Ducati though. Ruptured Spleen, four pints of blood in my belly before I hit the hospital, no registering blood pressure. Three days on a morphine epidural.

I'm strictly a bicycle type guy now. But I still miss my Ducati.

Whit

6:00am, 25 miles into a solo century. A woman is on the left side of the bike path walking her dog with one of those 20 foot retractable leashes. Of course the dog see a squirrel on the OTHER side of the bike path and takes off.
I go down at 20 MPH resulting in a seperated shoulder, badly bruised hip and a helmet with a crack at the temple. The woman looked at me with a blank expression and walked a way.
I was off the bike for 8 weeks and I don't even look at my bike without putting my helemt on.
I vowed never to avoid an animal if it meant I may get hurt but I'm to much of an animal lover and will do it from instinct. :mad: