You're all Grrrreat Beeg Naaarrrncies!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, May 17, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    So who didnt ride to work in the rain this morning ?

    Got to work and there was less than half the bikes parked there
    than usual.

    "Soft!!!" I say...

    Cleanest my bike has been in weeks

    Soooo, was it a 'RDO' ? (Riders' day off)

    Or does a little water scare people???

    I presume you are the same Nacies who pulled out halfway round the Around-
    the_Bay ride last year too...

    Wimps, Nancies, Wusses, Mummy's Boys/Girls, etc, etc

    * "All views expressed here are the Individuals only and do not
    necessarily reflect thos of management nor the Station"

  2. jazmo

    jazmo Guest

    Okay, I admit that I was a nancy today because of the rain

    -

  3. suzyj

    suzyj Guest

    Flyingdutch wrote:

    > So who didnt ride to work in the rain this morning

    Wot rain? Never rains round here. I'd have thought you Melbournite
    would be all used to riding in wet weather..

    Regards

    Suz

    -

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    I'm ill, so it's great day to be ill. Was going out to a MBTC luncheo
    today but I'm ill. bugger.:mad: Reading the Death Zone by Matt Dickson
    cheery stuf

    Might pop down to Collins Bridge & check the Yarra later on

    I'm really thinking of putting together a informative little leaflet
    "When the Yarra Floods The Capital City Trail - Tips From The Locals T
    Avoiding Hauling Your Bike Up The Steps On Gipps Street." I know BV an
    Yarra Council have been attempting to change the situation, but are u
    against factors like CUB, Parks Vic and pre 1854 property rights

    What do you think, ride around on bike between the Farm and Gipps St o
    rainy days & hand out leaflets? Have a bag of lollies and witt
    repertoire to share with displeased cyclists, "Ah, yeah, when the pat
    floods it's a real sh*t, here's some lollies to help you ride home &
    nifty little leaflet explaining how to rat run thru Abbotsford.....

    -

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by flyingdutch So who didnt ride to work in the rain
    >this morning ?

    I didn't wag.. remember.. I'm 'hardcore' ;-)

    Truth be told, I was all the way into Camberwell before it rained. ;-)

    I thought of my new Crumpler getting soggy and the tears added to my
    soggyness...

    >Soooo, was it a 'RDO' ? (Riders' day off)

    Rotten Day Outside/Rockin' Daily Outlook/Really dirty Office/

    >Or does a little water scare people???

    I like it so much I forgot my towel at the showers and had to DRESS WET!
    (Boy was I happy..)

    >I presume you are the same Nacies who pulled out halfway >round the Around-
    >the_Bay ride last year too...

    Did you do that last year? That was just silly.. I've never been so
    cold.

    Silver Lining: I now have a rear mudguard thingie to reduce the dirty
    butt look.

    hippy

    --

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > >>Silver Lining: I now have a rear mudguard thingie to reduce the dirty
    > >>butt look.

    > Aaaah, the badgar's-arse look! Vair hardcore (or should that be
    > 'Wet-2-V-core'

    Also known as the "Khyber Stripe". Having big fat SKS guards wil
    stop this occuring, a definate-must-have-accessory with Serfa
    saddles. :D :D :

    -

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    >>I presume you are the same Nacies who pulled out halfway >>round th
    >>Around-the_Bay ride last year too..

    >Did you do that last year? That was just silly.. I've never been s
    >cold

    Yep, finished at 12:22. just in time to witness the break in the cloud
    and emergence of blue skies [email protected]#@#!#[email protected]!!! I was shivering-waybad on th
    ferry but the tailwind-assisted 65kph up Geelong Rd was worth it! kin
    of... well, not really..

    >>Silver Lining: I now have a rear mudguard thingie to reduce the dirt
    >>butt look

    Aaaah, the badgar's-arse look! Vair hardcore (or should that b
    'Wet-2-V-core

    My personal hatred is aimed at wet socks!!! Nothing worse, especially i
    you get it at the start of the ride cos you know it aint gettin an
    better! Luckily my new DWD over-booties passed their inaugral wet
    weather test this morning with flying colour

    -

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > I'm ill, so it's great day to be ill. Was going out to a MBTC luncheon
    > today but I'm ill. bugger.:mad: Reading the Death Zone by Matt Dickson.
    > cheery stuff
    > Might pop down to Collins Bridge & check the Yarra later on.
    > I'm really thinking of putting together a informative little leaflet:
    > "When the Yarra Floods The Capital City Trail - Tips From The Locals To
    > Avoiding Hauling Your Bike Up The Steps On Gipps Street." I know BV and
    > Yarra Council have been attempting to change the situation, but are up
    > against factors like CUB, Parks Vic and pre 1854 property rights.
    > What do you think, ride around on bike between the Farm and Gipps St on
    > rainy days & hand out leaflets? Have a bag of lollies and witty
    > repertoire to share with displeased cyclists, "Ah, yeah, when the path
    > floods it's a real sh*t, here's some lollies to help you ride home & a
    > nifty little leaflet explaining how to rat run thru Abbotsford....."

    Hate them stairs! (Hate any stairs but do suffer the one's at Chandle
    Bridge) Never been down that way when it floods. Happen often? Like th
    Yarra under Swan St Bridge does? That's usually only a few inches dee
    so a bitta fun..

    The path between Dight Falls and the Farm really needs resurfacing a
    the concrete is just so ridiculously unlevel/bumpy that i usually pee
    off up to trennery Cresc (new bike lane!) from the Dight Falls carpark
    As for lollies (or 'yoyyies' as they are referred to in our house sinc
    my then 3yr old christened them). Bring em on

    -

  9. takver

    takver Guest

    Yeah...my workplace only had half the number of bikes it usuall
    gets. I Don't begrudge people taking the tram or train (or a day off
    when its wet

    But really the rain wasn't bad this morning. I've ridden through wors
    commuting. And much worse while touring. If your prepared for it, ridin
    through rain has its own pleasure

    Takve

    -

  10. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > So who didnt ride to work in the rain this morning ?
    >
    > Got to work and there was less than half the bikes parked there
    > than usual.
    >
    > "Soft!!!" I say...
    >
    > Cleanest my bike has been in weeks
    >
    > Soooo, was it a 'RDO' ? (Riders' day off)
    >
    > Or does a little water scare people???

    [snip]

    If it's Melb that you're talking about, the "nancies" had probably
    fainted at the sight of water falling from the sky!

    Didn't rain in Syd this morning (again)

    Ritch

  11. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    >. If your prepared for it, riding
    > through rain has its own pleasure.

    You need to take a fairly broad definition of "pleasure" be as one with this
    statement.

    For me, when the shoes fill up with water and the road grit thrown up by the
    rain into your teeth gets crunchy then the happiness index is at a pretty
    low point.

    Expensive and cumbersome rain gear seems to me only to delay the inevitable
    soaking to the skin.

    Mind you, you need a pretty good memory in Sydney to remember when that last
    happened.

    best, Andrew

  12. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    > >. If your prepared for it, riding
    > > through rain has its own pleasure.
    > >

    > You need to take a fairly broad definition of "pleasure" be as one with

    this
    > statement.
    >
    > For me, when the shoes fill up with water and the road grit thrown up by

    the
    > rain into your teeth gets crunchy then the happiness index is at a pretty
    > low point.
    >
    > Expensive and cumbersome rain gear seems to me only to delay the

    inevitable
    > soaking to the skin.
    >
    > Mind you, you need a pretty good memory in Sydney to remember when that

    last
    > happened.
    >
    > best, Andrew
    >
    > Andrew,

    I reckon you might need some help with your setup for the wet weather. Set
    of plastic guards ($15) will stop the stripe and keep a lot of water off the
    shoes. However a set of booties (~$40) will keep feet mostly dry. Combine
    with a set of pants ($??, I use goretex but you can go cheap) and a rain
    jacket.

    Most importantly ride a little slower to avoid perspiring too much. Give it
    a go,
    I can get to work reasonably dry apart from what drips thru the helmet.

    Kevin

  13. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    Andrew Price wrote:
    > "takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p3jqc.5-
    > [email protected]:p[email protected]
    > erver.com...
    > >. If your prepared for it, riding through rain has its own pleasure.
    > >

    > You need to take a fairly broad definition of "pleasure" be as one with
    > this statement.

    I absolutely love riding in the rain, especially if its heavy. It jus
    makes me feel very, I dunno, alive. Maybe I'm strange... hmm. Seriousl
    though, in wet weather I wear booties and a jacket if the downpour i
    really heavy, but besides that I just love getting wet. I especiall
    love the feeling of drizzle or light rain on the face at high speed. An
    on VERY wet days, I go out mountain biking on my favourite trails an
    aim for puddles of mud

    And yes, this morning I walked to school, no umbrella, in the rain. I
    was GOOD. ;

    -

  14. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    [...]

    > But really the rain wasn't bad this morning. I've ridden through worse
    > commuting. And much worse while touring. If your prepared for it,
    > riding through rain has its own pleasure.

    That's the thing though, you need to be setup for it. I've now got
    mudguards and a showerproof jacket, which is a start, but I still don't have
    a decent waterproof jacket or winter gloves so I'm staying out of the wet as
    much as possible.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Ritch wrote:
    > If it's Melb that you're talking about, the "nancies" had probably
    > fainted at the sight of water falling from the sky!
    > Didn't rain in Syd this morning (again)
    > Ritch

    Well, seeing as we get LESS of it than you, how often does you ride i
    the rain? ;

    -

  16. SteveDel

    SteveDel Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Well, seeing as we get LESS of it than you, how often does you ride in
    > the rain? ;)

    Joining in from Sydney and adding to Ritch's comments, I think I've onl
    had the "wets" on once this year - ie - it was actually raining. Las
    year, right through winter, I reckon I wore them probably a dozen times
    It is dry up here and the govt is getting to the point of going reall
    tough with the water restrictions. But I can remember riding i
    Melbourne during Winter, and it is a different experience. (Waverley
    Vermont South/ Malvern areas.

    Like other posters, rain is just another nuance to change a dail
    routine which is still enjoyable, though the muscle I pulled in m
    side this morning made it a slower ride in today. One of those thing
    that make it hard to breathe deeply, and hurts when you laugh. Brin
    on the panadol

    Cool crisp mornings are a joy, as is commuting in Sydney's South Easter
    suburbs at 6.30 in the morning. Almost got done by a tractor!~! on Anza
    Pde this morning

    Don't you just luv being an Aussie

    Stevedel :

    -

  17. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Ritch wrote:
    > > If it's Melb that you're talking about, the "nancies" had probably
    > > fainted at the sight of water falling from the sky!
    > > Didn't rain in Syd this morning (again)
    > > Ritch

    > Well, seeing as we get LESS of it than you, how often does you ride in
    > the rain? ;)

    Well, yes, _on average_ Melbourne gets less rain than Sydney. The same
    way _on average_ I flip a coin and get half a head. I couldn't be
    bothered looking for the rainfall stats, but it sure feels like it
    hasn't rained much lately - our doors in the house are starting to
    stick 'cos the dry soil is putting the house off level. Given that I
    ride each day to work, pretty much rain, hail or shine, the fine
    whether has been a Good Thing.

    I ride in the rain, but I don't enjoy it like some people in this
    thread...
    - it makes you cold and wet;
    - it makes more work after the ride, cleaning and drying clothes;
    - it trashes your drivetrain;
    - it gets into your cyclometer and (crummy) flashing LEDs;
    - it makes (already) crap Sydney drivers even worse.

    The good news is that I still prefer all that to crowding onto the
    steamy windowed, full of coughing and spluttering peopled train...

    The joys of commuting :)

    Ritch

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Ritch wrote:
    > Well, yes, _on average_ Melbourne gets less rain than Sydney. The same
    > way _on average_ I flip a coin and get half a head. Ritch

    Wrong!. we aint talking semantics here, Ritch. We are talking 40
    difference..

    www.bom.gov.a

    So all that blue sky you are looking at right now is actually making yo
    very wet! You just havent caught on yet:

    -

  19. Meeba

    Meeba Guest

    Originally posted by flyingdutch So who didnt ride to work in the rai
    this morning

    They're called "seasonal riders" only riding when fair weather suits.:

    -

  20. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Wrong!. we aint talking semantics here, Ritch. We are talking 40%
    > difference...
    > www.bom.gov.au
    > So all that blue sky you are looking at right now is actually making you
    > very wet! You just havent caught on yet:D

    Radar Images, actaully it's the pink bits you've got to look out for

    Melbourne: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.shtm

    Sydney: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR033.shtm

    Adelaide: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR463.shtm

    Perth: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.shtm