You're all Grrrreat Beeg Naaarrrncies!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, May 17, 2004.

  1. Resound

    Resound Guest

    I rode in the rain yesterday. Dropped my noob arse (noob knee actually) onto the tar for my troubles too :( All up a shoddy day's worth of cycling as I took off 5 mins after eating breakfast and was running on empty from the word go. Ouchies not withstanding, the ride home was actually a good deal more enjoyable, even though it was on the homeward leg that I got rained on. All part of the learning experience, innit? At least I didn't break up the bike

    -

  2. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > > Wrong!. we aint talking semantics here, Ritch. We are talking 40%
    > > difference...
    > > www.bom.gov.au
    > > So all that blue sky you are looking at right now is actually

    > making you > very wet! You just havent caught on yet:D
    >
    > Radar Images, actaully it's the pink bits you've got to look out for,

    Trust a grrl to worry about the pink bits.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  3. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    BLDR wrote:
    > Someone is taking this argument a bit too seriously don't ya think? We
    > all know that Melbourne is the best place in the world and that
    > Syd...Syd....(what was it called again?) anyway that place that starts
    > with an S is the...is the.... hmmmmm....what are they?

    And we all know that cfsmtb is from Melbourne too... So teasing her fo
    being a sydney-sider when she ISN'T might be a leetle odd. ;

    -

  4. BLDR

    BLDR Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Radar Images, actaully it's the pink bits you've got to look out for,
    > Melbourne: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.shtml
    > Sydney: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR033.shtml
    > Adelaide: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR463.shtml
    > Perth: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.shtml
    > Hobart: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR373.shtml
    > Darwin: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR633.shtml
    > Brisbane: http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.shtml

    Someone is taking this argument a bit too seriously don't ya think? W
    all know that Melbourne is the best place in the world and tha
    Syd...Syd....(what was it called again?) anyway that place that start
    with an S is the...is the.... hmmmmm....what are they? Ummm.... Back to
    the topic at hand, Melbourne weather is not as wet as some may think
    Actually I think people would hope for that much rain particularly wit
    the catchments at 48% capacity. So BRING IT ON! The more rain th
    better...especially for those muddied up downhill trails. ;

    -

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    Etxy wrote:
    > And we all know that cfsmtb is from Melbourne too... So teasing her for
    > being a sydney-sider when she ISN'T might be a leetle odd. ;)

    Actually I'm originally from Hobart. Rain is that stuff that hits har
    horizonally. Or piddles around the Wellington Ranges all day

    Melbourne, huh? In reality, just a southern extension of the Littl
    Desert.:D Don't even get a real frost here

    -

  6. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Actually I'm originally from Hobart. Rain is that stuff that hits hard
    > horizonally. Or piddles around the Wellington Ranges all day.
    > Melbourne, huh? In reality, just a southern extension of the Little
    > Desert.:D Don't even get a real frost here.

    Sorry, I meant 'lives in', not 'is from'. :cool

    I can't imagine what Tassie would be like in winter... I struggle as i
    to get through Melbourne winters; I have such poor circulation that it'
    a case of chillblains from June till October. :( So you can keep you
    'real frost', thankyou, if only so I can keep my fingers. ;

    -

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    Etxy wrote:
    > Sorry, I meant 'lives in', not 'is from'. :cool:
    > I can't imagine what Tassie would be like in winter... I struggle as is
    > to get through Melbourne winters; I have such poor circulation that it's
    > a case of chillblains from June till October. :( So you can keep your
    > 'real frost', thankyou, if only so I can keep my fingers. ;)

    Bah

    You're all Grrrreat Beeg Naaarrrncies!:D :

    -

  8. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Bah!
    > You're all Grrrreat Beeg Naaarrrncies!:D :D

    No, just me. :D (and only with 'cold', not 'wet'. See, I'm HARDCORE,
    ride in the rain with gusto and glee. And that is a combination of word
    we don't see often enough.) ;

    -

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Etxy wrote:
    > No, just me. :D (and only with 'cold', not 'wet'. See, I'm HARDCORE, I
    > ride in the rain with gusto and glee. And that is a combination of words
    > we don't see often enough.) ;)

    Well who's the silly soggy moggy tonight then?! ME! Went to find th
    dirt crits, got lost, found another two riders, they were lost too, go
    more lost, soaked through now, asked directions, found race, "Olli
    raced, I found a stack of excuses and watched instead, afte
    presentation of 1st series prizes, Doug and I left (in the freezing col
    rainy stuff...), followed him too far but eventually made it to a nic
    train station.. SOAKED! and scaring 'normal' people I'm sure, rode th
    last 6k home.. withOUT rain

    Anyway, looked like people had a blast at the crits so I'll have to g
    back and MEAN IT next time.. need another singlespeed so I don't have t
    swap tyres all the time.. need to dig out my Vistalite helmet moun
    too.. and some clothe that don't soak through and stay sopping.. and
    way to warm beer but still have it taste nice.. I'll call it: 'ardcor
    Warmbutnicebrew (sounds German so it'll sell grouse to all th
    yuppies...

    hipp
    - Of course, the only reason it rained is because I bought a mudguar
    the other day... and left it on the OTHER bike!! :

    -

  10. BLDR

    BLDR Guest

    Etxy wrote:
    > And we all know that cfsmtb is from Melbourne too... So teasing her for
    > being a sydney-sider when she ISN'T might be a leetle odd. ;)

    YES, WE do know she lives in Melb. YOU obviously didn't understand tha
    I was she was takeing it too seriously and then backing Melb. up! If YO
    had read the entire thread then YOU would see that it's just plai
    OBVIOUS that she is from Melb. I wonder if YOU have a crush. :) j/k o
    srry for the third person usage cfsmtb ;P Etxy just thinks he's king an
    has too keep his minions on a lower level by making them seem ignorant

    (to etxy: like too hear ur comeback this time

    -

  11. BLDR

    BLDR Guest

    GREAT! just like me to stuff up a comeback! Above it says 'YOU obviously didn't understand that I was she was takeing it too seriously' It should say 'YOU obviously didn't understand that I was saying she was takeing it too seriously' Bugger! :

    -

  12. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    I'm turning into the Susan Repp of aus.bicycle, jeez BLDR, I was at un
    the year you were born! LOL!!

    See thread further down CF, What do you guys all look like
    <http://www.cyclingforums.com/t114709.html

    -

  13. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Originally posted by flyingdutc
    >who rode this morning??

    haha.. ME! see other thread :

    >Me in utter darkness at 6:45a

    6:45am! Whatsamatter? Need a wittle sweep in? :

    Just joking.. 6:15 departure for me - would've been earlier but th
    brain was still in "OFF" mode and I kept forgetting stuff lik
    batteries, etc

    I've been riding more in the rain this season than before I think.
    always used to wuss out and sleep in. Maybe the mudguard made th
    difference

    hipp

    -

  14. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Time to fess up, 'Naaarrrncies!

    who rode this morning??

    Me in utter darkness at 6:45a

    little traffic but lots of garbo trucks!!

    -

  15. eddiec

    eddiec Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Time to fess up, 'Naaarrrncies!'
    > who rode this morning???

    *proudly puffing out chest

    Yes, I did too... 8am though. Would've been 7.30 but i unlocked th
    bike to find what must have been a slow leak puncture in the rea
    wheel... dammit

    I'd agree with you hippy about mudguards though... These 'wet road bu
    relatively dry skies' days are a lot less icky when they take th
    brunt of it..

    (Newest 'watch out - there's a numnut behind the wheel' car from today
    Porsche Cayenne

    -

  16. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > 6:45am! Whatsamatter? Need a wittle sweep in? :p
    > Just joking.. 6:15 departure for me - would've been earlier but the
    > brain was still in "OFF" mode and I kept forgetting stuff like
    > batteries, etc.
    > I've been riding more in the rain this season than before I think. I
    > always used to wuss out and sleep in. Maybe the mudguard made the
    > difference?
    > hippy

    usually a 7:30 departure for moi, but early morning meeting (dam
    consultants:mad: ) meant it was earlier than usual for m

    use them clip on/off guards which weigh nothing but make me feel slowe
    when on. Bike got a free clean this morning tho :

    -

  17. jazmo

    jazmo Guest

    I didn't ride in this morning

    In fact, I drove in this morning

    Which reminds me. I had better go out and move my car before I get
    parking ticket

    -

  18. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo Guest

    hippy [/i]

  19. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by coowoowoo Try a 6.15am start here.. wet, cold an
    >lots of grit around.

    Which reminds me..

    How crap are Shimano vee brake pads?!?!?! After tiring of the scrapin
    noise my rear brakes were making, I looked at the culprits and spotted
    small _pile_ of aluminium filings sitting on the brake pad

    Shocking pads! I need to find some of those Koolstop MTB pad
    again (actually BBB are good and cheaper), hopefully BEFOR
    there's no rim left

    hipp

    -

  20. jazmo

    jazmo Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > >Originally posted by coowoowoo Try a 6.15am start here.. wet, cold and
    > >lots of grit around..

    > Which reminds me...
    > How crap are Shimano vee brake pads?!?!?! After tiring of the scraping
    > noise my rear brakes were making, I looked at the culprits and spotted a
    > small _pile_ of aluminium filings sitting on the brake pad!
    > Shocking pads! I need to find some of those Koolstop MTB pads
    > again (actually BBB are good and cheaper), hopefully BEFORE
    > there's no rim left!
    > hippy

    I recently had my brake pads replaced and now my rear rims are stuffed
    I don't don't know what brand they are but they're yellow (if that mean
    anything). Same deal, they've been scraping my rims and I've bee
    getting aluminium powder all over them. There's now grooves along m
    rim. Pisses me off

    I've got a front disk brake by the way. Hence no problem there

    -