You're all Grrrreat Beeg Naaarrrncies!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, May 17, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    So who didnt ride to work in the rain this morning ?

    Got to work and there was less than half the bikes parked there than usual.

    "Soft!!!" I say...

    Cleanest my bike has been in weeks

    Soooo, was it a 'RDO' ? (Riders' day off)

    Or does a little water scare people???

    I presume you are the same Nacies who pulled out halfway round the Around-the_Bay ride last year too...

    Wimps, Nancies, Wusses, Mummy's Boys/Girls, etc, etc

    * "All views expressed here are the Individuals only and do not necessarily reflect thos of management nor the Station"

    Tags:

  2. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Okay, I admit that I was a nancy today because of the rain.

  3. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Flyingdutch wrote:

    > So who didnt ride to work in the rain this morning ?

    Wot rain? Never rains round here. I'd have thought you Melbournites would be all used to riding in wet weather...

    Regards,

    Suzy

  4. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by flyingdutch
    >So who didnt ride to work in the rain this morning ?

    I didn't wag.. remember.. I'm 'hardcore' ;-)

    Truth be told, I was all the way into Camberwell before it
    rained. ;-)

    I thought of my new Crumpler getting soggy and the tears
    added to my soggyness...

    >Soooo, was it a 'RDO' ? (Riders' day off)

    Rotten Day Outside/Rockin' Daily Outlook/Really dirty Office/

    >Or does a little water scare people???

    I like it so much I forgot my towel at the showers and had to DRESS WET! (Boy was I happy..)

    >I presume you are the same Nacies who pulled out halfway >round the Around-the_Bay ride last year too...

    Did you do that last year? That was just silly.. I've never been
    so cold.

    Silver Lining: I now have a rear mudguard thingie to reduce
    the dirty butt look.

    hippy

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I'm ill, so it's great day to be ill. Was going out to a MBTC luncheon today but I'm ill. bugger.:mad:
    Reading the Death Zone by Matt Dickson. cheery stuff

    Might pop down to Collins Bridge & check the Yarra later on.

    I'm really thinking of putting together a informative little leaflet: "When the Yarra Floods The Capital City Trail - Tips From The Locals To Avoiding Hauling Your Bike Up The Steps On Gipps Street." I know BV and Yarra Council have been attempting to change the situation, but are up against factors like CUB, Parks Vic and pre 1854 property rights.

    What do you think, ride around on bike between the Farm and Gipps St on rainy days & hand out leaflets? Have a bag of lollies and witty repertoire to share with displeased cyclists, "Ah, yeah, when the path floods it's a real sh*t, here's some lollies to help you ride home & a nifty little leaflet explaining how to rat run thru Abbotsford....."

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    >>I presume you are the same Nacies who pulled out halfway >>round the Around-the_Bay ride last year too...

    >Did you do that last year? That was just silly.. I've never been
    >so cold.

    Yep, finished at 12:22. just in time to witness the break in the clouds and emergence of blue skies [email protected]#@#!#[email protected]!!!
    I was shivering-waybad on the ferry but the tailwind-assisted 65kph up Geelong Rd was worth it!
    kind of...
    well, not really...

    >>Silver Lining: I now have a rear mudguard thingie to reduce
    >>the dirty butt look.

    Aaaah, the badgar's-arse look!
    Vair hardcore (or should that be 'Wet-2-V-core'

    My personal hatred is aimed at wet socks!!!
    Nothing worse, especially if you get it at the start of the ride cos you know it aint gettin any better!
    Luckily my new DWD over-booties passed their inaugral wet-weather test this morning with flying colours

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Hate them stairs!
    (Hate any stairs but do suffer the one's at Chandler Bridge)
    Never been down that way when it floods. Happen often?
    Like the Yarra under Swan St Bridge does?
    That's usually only a few inches deep so a bitta fun...

    The path between Dight Falls and the Farm really needs resurfacing as the concrete is just so ridiculously unlevel/bumpy that i usually peel off up to trennery Cresc (new bike lane!) from the Dight Falls carpark.
    As for lollies (or 'yoyyies' as they are referred to in our house since my then 3yr old christened them). Bring em on!

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Also known as the "Khyber Stripe". Having big fat SKS guards will stop this occuring, a definate-must-have-accessory with Serfas saddles. :D :D :D

  9. takver

    takver New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2004
    Yeah...my workplace only had half the number of bikes it usually gets. I Don't begrudge people taking the tram or train (or a day off) when its wet.

    But really the rain wasn't bad this morning. I've ridden through worse commuting. And much worse while touring. If your prepared for it, riding through rain has its own pleasure.

    Takver

  10. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > So who didnt ride to work in the rain this morning ?
    >
    > Got to work and there was less than half the bikes parked
    > there than usual.
    >
    > "Soft!!!" I say...
    >
    > Cleanest my bike has been in weeks
    >
    > Soooo, was it a 'RDO' ? (Riders' day off)
    >
    > Or does a little water scare people???
    [snip]

    If it's Melb that you're talking about, the "nancies" had
    probably fainted at the sight of water falling from the sky!

    Didn't rain in Syd this morning (again)

    Ritch

  11. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    >. If your prepared for it, riding through rain has its own
    > pleasure.

    You need to take a fairly broad definition of "pleasure" be
    as one with this statement.

    For me, when the shoes fill up with water and the road grit
    thrown up by the rain into your teeth gets crunchy then the
    happiness index is at a pretty low point.

    Expensive and cumbersome rain gear seems to me only to delay
    the inevitable soaking to the skin.

    Mind you, you need a pretty good memory in Sydney to
    remember when that last happened.

    best, Andrew

  12. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > >. If your prepared for it, riding through rain has its
    > > own pleasure.
    > >
    > You need to take a fairly broad definition of "pleasure"
    > be as one with
    this
    > statement.
    >
    > For me, when the shoes fill up with water and the road
    > grit thrown up by
    the
    > rain into your teeth gets crunchy then the happiness index
    > is at a pretty low point.
    >
    > Expensive and cumbersome rain gear seems to me only to
    > delay the
    inevitable
    > soaking to the skin.
    >
    > Mind you, you need a pretty good memory in Sydney to
    > remember when that
    last
    > happened.
    >
    > best, Andrew
    >
    > Andrew,

    I reckon you might need some help with your setup for the
    wet weather. Set of plastic guards ($15) will stop the
    stripe and keep a lot of water off the shoes. However a set
    of booties (~$40) will keep feet mostly dry. Combine with a
    set of pants ($??, I use goretex but you can go cheap) and a
    rain jacket.

    Most importantly ride a little slower to avoid perspiring
    too much. Give it a go, I can get to work reasonably dry
    apart from what drips thru the helmet.

    Kevin

  13. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    I absolutely love riding in the rain, especially if its heavy. It just makes me feel very, I dunno, alive. Maybe I'm strange... hmm. Seriously though, in wet weather I wear booties and a jacket if the downpour is really heavy, but besides that I just love getting wet. I especially love the feeling of drizzle or light rain on the face at high speed. And on VERY wet days, I go out mountain biking on my favourite trails and aim for puddles of mud.

    And yes, this morning I walked to school, no umbrella, in the rain. It was GOOD. ;)

  14. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    [...]

    > But really the rain wasn't bad this morning. I've ridden
    > through worse commuting. And much worse while touring. If
    > your prepared for it, riding through rain has its own
    > pleasure.

    That's the thing though, you need to be setup for it.
    I've now got mudguards and a showerproof jacket, which is
    a start, but I still don't have a decent waterproof
    jacket or winter gloves so I'm staying out of the wet as
    much as possible.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Well, seeing as we get LESS of it than you, how often does you ride in the rain? ;)

  16. SteveDel

    SteveDel New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2003
    Joining in from Sydney and adding to Ritch's comments, I think I've only had the "wets" on once this year - ie - it was actually raining. Last year, right through winter, I reckon I wore them probably a dozen times. It is dry up here and the govt is getting to the point of going really tough with the water restrictions. But I can remember riding in Melbourne during Winter, and it is a different experience. (Waverley / Vermont South/ Malvern areas.)

    Like other posters, rain is just another nuance to change a daily routine which is still enjoyable, though the muscle I pulled in my side this morning made it a slower ride in today. One of those things that make it hard to breathe deeply, and hurts when you laugh. Bring on the panadol.

    Cool crisp mornings are a joy, as is commuting in Sydney's South Eastern suburbs at 6.30 in the morning. Almost got done by a tractor!~! on Anzac Pde this morning.

    Don't you just luv being an Aussie.

    Stevedel :D

  17. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Ritch wrote:
    > > If it's Melb that you're talking about, the "nancies"
    > > had probably fainted at the sight of water falling
    > > from the sky! Didn't rain in Syd this morning (again)
    > > Ritch
    >

    > Well, seeing as we get LESS of it than you, how often does
    > you ride in the rain? ;)

    Well, yes, _on average_ Melbourne gets less rain than
    Sydney. The same way _on average_ I flip a coin and get half
    a head. I couldn't be bothered looking for the rainfall
    stats, but it sure feels like it hasn't rained much lately -
    our doors in the house are starting to stick 'cos the dry
    soil is putting the house off level. Given that I ride each
    day to work, pretty much rain, hail or shine, the fine
    whether has been a Good Thing.

    I ride in the rain, but I don't enjoy it like some people in
    this thread...
    - it makes you cold and wet;
    - it makes more work after the ride, cleaning and
    drying clothes;
    - it trashes your drivetrain;
    - it gets into your cyclometer and (crummy) flashing LEDs;
    - it makes (already) crap Sydney drivers even worse.

    The good news is that I still prefer all that to crowding
    onto the steamy windowed, full of coughing and spluttering
    peopled train...

    The joys of commuting :)

    Ritch

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Wrong!. we aint talking semantics here, Ritch.
    We are talking 40% difference...

    www.bom.gov.au

    So all that blue sky you are looking at right now is actually making you very wet! You just havent caught on yet:D

  19. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Radar Images, actaully it's the pink bits you've got to look out for,

    Melbourne:
    http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.shtml

    Sydney:
    http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR033.shtml