Youth commuter biking

Cathy Kearns

Guest
I had given up on my eldest daughter ever biking again. In junior high she
preferred to walk a mile to school rather than bike. Claimed the helmet
would mess up her hair. High school she claims no one bikes, so she again
walks to school. At this point she doesn't even own a bike that fits her,
nor has she asked for one.

This week we were visiting colleges. At UCSB we were sitting at the
vistor's center, waiting for the program to start. They had a bike path
going by, and despite the light rain, there were tons of beach cruiser
bikes, many with fenders and baskets. She commented on how that looked
really fun. On the tour we saw they had dedicated bike paths throughout
campus, where the campus rule was bikes had the right of way on the bike
paths, but would get ticketed if they rode on the sidewalks. (This was
according to our guide.) My non-biking daughter loved the UCSB campus, and
mentioned if she went there she'd like maybe a pink beach cruiser to ride to
and from classes. Just goes to show, if it looks fun and cool enough, you
can win them back.

"Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:
> This week we were visiting colleges. At UCSB we were sitting at the
> vistor's center, waiting for the program to start. They had a bike path
> going by, and despite the light rain, there were tons of beach cruiser
> bikes, many with fenders and baskets.

Were they wearing helmets?

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:p[email protected]:
> > This week we were visiting colleges. At UCSB we were sitting at the
> > vistor's center, waiting for the program to start. They had a bike path
> > going by, and despite the light rain, there were tons of beach cruiser
> > bikes, many with fenders and baskets.

> Were they wearing helmets?

Not a one. Nor were they going faster than your average recreational
runner.

Ken wrote:
> "Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:p[email protected]:
> > This week we were visiting colleges. At UCSB we were sitting at the
> > vistor's center, waiting for the program to start. They had a bike path
> > going by, and despite the light rain, there were tons of beach cruiser
> > bikes, many with fenders and baskets.

> Were they wearing helmets?

Why is that one thing significant? Sheesh.Why not ask if they were
riding courteously, it's a much bigger factor in safety...until they
make that uber collarbone helmet...

Ken wrote: Were they wearing helmets?

landotter wrote: Why is that one thing significant? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I took it that the question related to the hair mussing issue.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145237041.988095.117560
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>> Were they wearing helmets?

> Why is that one thing significant? Sheesh.Why not ask if they were
> riding courteously, it's a much bigger factor in safety...until they
> make that uber collarbone helmet...

Because the original poster said her daughter didn't want to wear a helmet.

Ken wrote:
> "Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:p[email protected]:
> > This week we were visiting colleges. At UCSB we were sitting at the
> > vistor's center, waiting for the program to start. They had a bike path
> > going by, and despite the light rain, there were tons of beach cruiser
> > bikes, many with fenders and baskets.

> Were they wearing helmets?

Hardly any, nor do more than a few percent use any lighting at night.
But biking is by far the most convenient way to get around campus and
accidents are rare despite the high traffic density on the paths. BTW,
the main bike path across campus is also part of the Pacific Coast
bicycle route from Canada to Mexico so sometimes you see fully loaded
cycle tourists mixed in with the student commuters.

There's a nice, but largely unknown, natural bridge just east of campus
and only about 100' off the bike route:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/358121809/1358164946047976201THUxsz

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> Ken wrote: Were they wearing helmets?
> >

> landotter wrote: Why is that one thing significant? (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I took it that the question related to the hair mussing issue.

Enough AquaNet can offer pretty good crash protection.

On 16 Apr 2006 18:24:02 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ken wrote:
>> "Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:p[email protected]:
>> > This week we were visiting colleges. At UCSB we were sitting at the
>> > vistor's center, waiting for the program to start. They had a bike path
>> > going by, and despite the light rain, there were tons of beach cruiser
>> > bikes, many with fenders and baskets.

>> Were they wearing helmets?

>Why is that one thing significant? Sheesh.Why not ask if they were
>riding courteously, it's a much bigger factor in safety...until they
>make that uber collarbone helmet...

It is significant to the hassle factor of riding a bike. Requiring a helmet is
like requiring galoshes for all walking a sometime useful thing that when
mandated makes the activity less pleasant and practical.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:

> It is significant to the hassle factor of riding a bike. Requiring a helmet is
> like requiring galoshes for all walking a sometime useful thing that when
> mandated makes the activity less pleasant and practical.

Fortunately UCSB has no requirement to wear either helmets or galoshes.

RonSonic wrote:

> It is significant to the hassle factor of riding a bike. Requiring a helmet is
> like requiring galoshes for all walking a sometime useful thing that when
> mandated makes the activity less pleasant and practical.
>
> Ron

Anybody made spd galoshes yet? *g*

landotter wrote:
> RonSonic wrote:
>
> > It is significant to the hassle factor of riding a bike. Requiring a helmet is
> > like requiring galoshes for all walking a sometime useful thing that when
> > mandated makes the activity less pleasant and practical.
> >
> > Ron

> Anybody made spd galoshes yet? *g*

The owner of the big bike shop (who is also my adopted Chinese mom) has
joined the ranks of those trying to get me to act more femme. She was
snarking at me for wearing a fancy tailored silk dress with mountain
bike shoes. My defense was that other shoes couldn't be worn with the
bike and taking a taxi wasn't convenient. She thought I should have
carried dress shoes in my purse (what purse?).

So, if I can get myself another set of cleats for my eggbeaters cheaply
enough I may have the local shoemaker make me a pair of clipless high
heels. Knee high, black leather, platform clipless.

-M