Youth Hostels Open to Non Members

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:44:49 -0000, "TonyK" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm wondering how to layout our tariff for this year, member, non-member
>rates, room rates, seasonal pricing variations... ooop's let that one slip
>;-)

Huh! I thought there already was a seasonal price variation .... as
in it's only RaH at any time I want to stay in a Hostel!

;-)

Judith

wrote:

>I'm wondering how to layout our tariff for this year, member, non-member
>rates, room rates, seasonal pricing variations... ooop's let that one slip
>;-)

Huh! I thought there already was a seasonal price variation .... as
in it's only RaH at any time I want to stay in a Hostel!

;-)

Judith

No - it was booked, and used, as a family room

Now you wouldn't be the one reading with the main room lights on in the dorm
while I was trying to get to sleep then
;-)

One of my group has been out a few times and now turns up with a blindfold
and ear plugs - a trick he learnt in the army to get a good nights sleep.
Mind u he never did say how he knew the enemy were attacking

> <scream!>
> I hope it wasn't a dorm. I would do my nut if there was a TV in my
> room and my room-mate(s) wanted to watch it.
>
> I read in hostels. I don't care what it is, I just pick up one of the
> books that they have in the lounge and read it. It's always a good
> book!
>
> Judith

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:03:18 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now you wouldn't be the one reading with the main room lights on in the dorm
>while I was trying to get to sleep then
>;-)

WILL YOU STOP SNORING! I'm trying to read!

>One of my group has been out a few times and now turns up with a blindfold
>and ear plugs - a trick he learnt in the army to get a good nights sleep.
>Mind u he never did say how he knew the enemy were attacking

It will have been serialised on Daily Orders.

Judith

"Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:03:18 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Now you wouldn't be the one reading with the main room lights on in the

dorm
> >while I was trying to get to sleep then
> >;-)

> WILL YOU STOP SNORING! I'm trying to read!

Night night - lights out (I've taken the fuses)

;-)

Judith <[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:38:23 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The hostels these days are often better than good B&B/small hotels - I even
>>stayed at Oxford with en-suite bathroom and a TV for the room!

><scream!>
>
>I hope it wasn't a dorm. I would do my nut if there was a TV in my
>room and my room-mate(s) wanted to watch it.

The en-suite bathroom would be fun, though.....
--
Gordon Harris

Bryan Hall <[email protected]> writes
>No - it was booked, and used, as a family room
>
>Now you wouldn't be the one reading with the main room lights on in the dorm
>while I was trying to get to sleep then
>;-)
>
>One of my group has been out a few times and now turns up with a blindfold
>and ear plugs - a trick he learnt in the army to get a good nights sleep.
>Mind u he never did say how he knew the enemy were attacking

We had a solution during square-bashing. Some inconsiderate b******s
used to arrive back at camp at three am and switch the lights on.

....Until we hit on the idea of a halfpenny coin placed between light
bulbs and bayonet holder. The fuses couldn't be replaced until
daylight.....
--
Gordon Harris

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A friend who has YHA membership tells me that from March non members can
> stay for an extra £3 supplement without having to join. (In case it
> interests anyone).

Part of me wishes I'd known about that before I renewed my membership
recently but as I am planning to use hostels a fair bit this year it won't
really matter.

I'm more concerned about the bookmark. For those not in the know, the latest
YHA handbook does not include the prices or opening hours. Instead all
hostels are graded 1-4 on when they are open and A-G(*) for prices. This
info is on a separate bookmark which the YHA will replace if needed for next
years prices, the book being planned to last 2 years as an eco-friendly
idea. A nice idea which is flawed IMHO as;

1) I didn't get the bookmark and had to phone them to get one. I got the
impression I wasn't the only person to miss out. How many replacements might
be needed?
2) The first 20 pages of the book are padded with reams about how
eco-friendly the YHA are and who can use the Hostels, facts that members
will already know and pages that could really be cut down to save paper.
3) They could have included this years info on one page and left a column
for adding next years prices in.

Nick

What - continental style?
Reminds me of the first time I walked into a French campsite toilet block. I
was most surprised to find a Swedish lady having a strip wash next to me
(I'm male by the way)

Very enlightening ;-)

"Gordon Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Judith <[email protected]> writes
> >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:38:23 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>The hostels these days are often better than good B&B/small hotels - I

even
> >>stayed at Oxford with en-suite bathroom and a TV for the room!

> ><scream!>
> >
> >I hope it wasn't a dorm. I would do my nut if there was a TV in my
> >room and my room-mate(s) wanted to watch it.
> >

> The en-suite bathroom would be fun, though.....
> --
> Gordon Harris

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:42:07 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What - continental style?
>Reminds me of the first time I walked into a French campsite toilet block. I
>was most surprised to find a Swedish lady having a strip wash next to me
>(I'm male by the way)
>
>Very enlightening ;-)

When my mates went on the ferry to Santander, and lots of people were
sleeping on the floor, a young woman in a dress walked up to the space
beside them, removed her knickers, placed them on the floor, then lay
down next to them and went to sleep.
Clearly a continental!

Saves creases the following morning
;-)

"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:42:07 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >What - continental style?
> >Reminds me of the first time I walked into a French campsite toilet

block. I
> >was most surprised to find a Swedish lady having a strip wash next to me
> >(I'm male by the way)
> >
> >Very enlightening ;-)

> When my mates went on the ferry to Santander, and lots of people were
> sleeping on the floor, a young woman in a dress walked up to the space
> beside them, removed her knickers, placed them on the floor, then lay
> down next to them and went to sleep.
> Clearly a continental!

> 3) They could have included this years info on one page and left a column
> for adding next years prices in.
>
> Nick

Or just graded hostels "a-e" on pricing with "a" being £8-£10, £10-£12 etc
etc the four seasons as opening patterens and put it all on the back cover.
Invariably people ring ahead to check opening out of peak season and IME not
too many people are really that worried whether things cost £11 or £12.50.
Much easier and simpler for everyone concerned.

[email protected] said...
> I remember youth hostelling as a teenage cyclist, sleeping in a dorm and
> being allocated chores before we could get away in the morning.
> It was all we could afford in those days, so we put up with the spartan
> conditions.
> I'm not familiar with hostels nowadays, but aren't they merely B&B
> establishments?
> Today's youff have too much money, and can afford better accommodation,
> so where exactly is the market for youth hostels in Britain?

Hostels these days are magnificent places on the whole. Most
(all?) have done away with morning chores; dorms are comfy and
warm; wash basins have hot water; showers are mainly hot
(there's at least one hostel where they really need to
redesign their water system because the showers are /too/ hot
and not adjustable); food can be provided at most; duvets are
provided; sheet sleeping bags are still used (yuck) but are
provided... As for where the market is, my 14 yr old daughter
took herself off on her own last year for a weekend. I
wouldn't have been happy with her just travelling to A.N.Other
B&B or hotel but I was quite at ease with her choice of
hostel. My family tend to go camping these days to save a bit
of money; however we like to spend at least the last night of
the holiday in a YHA hostel. They're fabulous places for
families, and although we don't mind sharing dorms we often
find we're given a room to ourselves, complete with power
points and wash basin. Anyone who hasn't hostelled during the
last 20 or so years wouldn't recognise them!
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran

[email protected] said...
> There's nothing about the changes on the YHA site, but there is a 5 year
> plan which includes: reach more people ; increase Youth Hostel use from 2.1
> million to 3 million overnights ; increase membership from 300,000 to
> 500,000
>
> More importantly there's no discussion on there on this particular topic,
> which I think is one of the more important changes to the YHA organisation
> in the past 10 years or so.

There are members of the YHA staff reading if not posting to
uk.rec.youth-hostel and there are discussions thereon.
Leastways, at the moment there is a discussion going on. If
you want to insert an oar now is the time, before people get
bored and drift away again. It's one of the quietest NGs
around.
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran

[email protected] said...
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:38:23 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The hostels these days are often better than good B&B/small hotels - I even
> >stayed at Oxford with en-suite bathroom and a TV for the room!

> <scream!>
>
> I hope it wasn't a dorm. I would do my nut if there was a TV in my
> room and my room-mate(s) wanted to watch it.

Quite. It would drive me insane. After all, if I wanted to
watch TV I'd have one of my own at home. As it is, I don't,
and I don't.

> I read in hostels. I don't care what it is, I just pick up one of the
> books that they have in the lounge and read it. It's always a good
> book!

You're me you are. I wonder if we're related? :)
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran

[email protected] said...
> That
> > said, if I book a hostel out of season for my friends, who is
> > to know how many are members and how many not? If the booking
> > is in my name as a YHA member it hardly seems to matter who
> > else is in the party. There's a thread about all this over in
> > uk.rec.youth-hostel, BTW.

> Hi Fran

Hello Tony! How long have you been lurking here? :)

> At a guess probably around 60-70% of the groups we get under RaH are not YHA
> members. But, if that should become a barrier they'd prob. just take out a
> group membership for £14. Personally I say raise RaH by £50 across the board
> to cover group bookings.

Wouldn't that be a bit steep for some places? Taking River
Dart (ex Maypool) as an example, £50 extra for such a huge
place would barely cover the lighting bill; however if the
same amount were applied to, for example, Black Sail...

> I'm wondering how to layout our tariff for this year, member, non-member
> rates, room rates, seasonal pricing variations... ooop's let that one slip
> ;-)

Let's see - returning customers/guests/call 'em what you will
should receive a substantial discount...

/me ducks out of the way of low flying blunt object ;-)
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran

Fran <[email protected]> writes

>Hostels these days are magnificent places on the whole. Most
>(all?) have done away with morning chores; dorms are comfy and
>warm; wash basins have hot water; showers are mainly hot
>(there's at least one hostel where they really need to
>redesign their water system because the showers are /too/ hot
>and not adjustable); food can be provided at most; duvets are
>provided; sheet sleeping bags are still used (yuck) but are
>provided... As for where the market is, my 14 yr old daughter
>took herself off on her own last year for a weekend. I
>wouldn't have been happy with her just travelling to A.N.Other
>B&B or hotel but I was quite at ease with her choice of
>hostel. My family tend to go camping these days to save a bit
>of money; however we like to spend at least the last night of
>the holiday in a YHA hostel. They're fabulous places for
>families, and although we don't mind sharing dorms we often
>find we're given a room to ourselves, complete with power
>points and wash basin. Anyone who hasn't hostelled during the
>last 20 or so years wouldn't recognise them!

Thanks for that. My walking partner has a group membership and
leads a social group for walking weekends sometimes. She invited me
along once, but I had to demur, because I thought M**** would throw a
hissy-fit!
--
Gordon Harris

"Nick Pedley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm more concerned about the bookmark. For those not in the know, the

latest
> YHA handbook does not include the prices or opening hours. Instead all
> hostels are graded 1-4 on when they are open and A-G(*) for prices.

Ooops, forgot to explain that (*) above.
The Hostels are graded A-F on prices and these are explained on the
bookmark. Camping barns are not priced on the bookmark but are in the book
listed as G. Probably stands for "God only knows, find out when you go
there"!

Nick

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:08:05 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I read in hostels. I don't care what it is, I just pick up one of the
>> books that they have in the lounge and read it. It's always a good
>> book!

>You're me you are. I wonder if we're related? :)

This isn't the first time I've blessed the Internet for introducing me
to "normal" people!

Judith

[email protected] said...
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:08:05 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> I read in hostels. I don't care what it is, I just pick up one of the
> >> books that they have in the lounge and read it. It's always a good
> >> book!

> >You're me you are. I wonder if we're related? :)

> This isn't the first time I've blessed the Internet for introducing me
> to "normal" people!

Are you seriously saying you think I'm 'normal'?? Good grief!
There's a first time for everything, I suppose... ;-)