Youth Hostels Open to Non Members

AndyP

Guest
A friend who has YHA membership tells me that from March non members can
stay for an extra £3 supplement without having to join. (In case it
interests anyone).

Yes this appears to be the case. Just got some stuff from the YHA w. r. t.
my membership and it says exactly that. Can't think this is a very good idea
for the YHA though - I never use the hostels but maintain my membership just
in case I need some emergency accomodation (I'd usually plan to camp). If I
know I can stay at a hostel without being a member then I don't see the
point of paying to maintain my membership.

Dave

"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A friend who has YHA membership tells me that from March non members can
> stay for an extra £3 supplement without having to join. (In case it
> interests anyone).

The message <[email protected]>
from "AndyP" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> A friend who has YHA membership tells me that from March non members can
> stay for an extra £3 supplement without having to join. (In case it
> interests anyone).

I have only stayed in a YH once as an adult. (Once as a child as well
but that was too long ago to remember how the membership requirement was
circumvented). It was the SYHA so could possibly be different but in
that case we purchased temporary membership. I can't remember how much
it was back in 1991 but I don't think it was excessive. But back then I
was still working for a living and less inclined to count every penny.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year - nothing

AndyP wrote:

> A friend who has YHA membership tells me that from March non
> members can stay for an extra £3 supplement without having to
> join.

So I did last summer - at Butterlip How they gave me a hand-written
temporary membership card which expired at the end of the month I
received it.

vG

--
~~~~~~ Volker Gringmuth ~~~~~~~~~~~ http://einklich.net/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jetzt fang bitte nicht noch mit Logik an, das muss wirklich nicht sein."
(Thomas G. Liesner in hamster.de.talk)

I think this is another case of an organisation being taken over by market
experts.
The British Legion is going the same way.

--
Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmmiles.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
"Dave Moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes this appears to be the case. Just got some stuff from the YHA w. r. t.
> my membership and it says exactly that. Can't think this is a very good
> idea
> for the YHA though - I never use the hostels but maintain my membership
> just
> in case I need some emergency accomodation (I'd usually plan to camp). If
> know I can stay at a hostel without being a member then I don't see the
> point of paying to maintain my membership.
>
> Dave
>

> "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> A friend who has YHA membership tells me that from March non members can
>> stay for an extra £3 supplement without having to join. (In case it
>> interests anyone).

Kenneth Miles <[email protected]> writes
>I think this is another case of an organisation being taken over by market
>experts.
>The British Legion is going the same way.

I remember youth hostelling as a teenage cyclist, sleeping in a dorm and
being allocated chores before we could get away in the morning.
It was all we could afford in those days, so we put up with the spartan
conditions.
I'm not familiar with hostels nowadays, but aren't they merely B&B
establishments?
Today's youff have too much money, and can afford better accommodation,
so where exactly is the market for youth hostels in Britain?

My son told me that there were lots of cheap hostels when he spent a
year in Oz on a working holiday.
--
Gordon Harris

Kenneth Miles <[email protected]> writes
>I think this is another case of an organisation being taken over by market
>experts.
>The British Legion is going the same way.

I remember youth hostelling as a teenage cyclist, sleeping in a dorm and
being allocated chores before we could get away in the morning.
It was all we could afford in those days, so we put up with the spartan
conditions.
I'm not familiar with hostels nowadays, but aren't they merely B&B
establishments?
Today's youff have too much money, and can afford better accommodation,
so where exactly is the market for youth hostels in Britain?

My son told me that there were lots of cheap hostels when he spent a
year in Oz on a working holiday.
--
Gordon Harris

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:09:10 -0000, "Kenneth Miles"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>> A friend who has YHA membership tells me that from March non members can
>>> stay for an extra £3 supplement without having to join. (In case it
>>> interests anyone).

I've rung the YHA National Office, and they confirmed that it's
correct.

I therefore asked if they could tell me whether there would still be
any point in people continuing to join the organisation, and I was
told that the staff have not yet been currently briefed on the
situation, and that the YHA are currently collating feedback and info.
However, members would continue to receive a handbook, whereas
non-members wouldn't... hmm...

I agreed to leave my membership details and feedback: apparently
they'll get back to people in due course. I got the impression that
they'd had quite a lot of calls :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:09:10 -0000, "Kenneth Miles"

[...]

Peewiglet wrote:
> I've rung the YHA National Office, and they confirmed that it's
> correct.
>
> I therefore asked if they could tell me whether there would still be
> any point in people continuing to join the organisation, and I was
> told that the staff have not yet been currently briefed on the
> situation, and that the YHA are currently collating feedback and info.
> However, members would continue to receive a handbook, whereas
> non-members wouldn't... hmm...
>
> I agreed to leave my membership details and feedback: apparently
> they'll get back to people in due course. I got the impression that
> they'd had quite a lot of calls :)

At £14 per year membership, it's only worth joining if you are planning
on five or more visits in a year (not five or more nights, since I'm
assuming the £3 isn't a per-night but a per-stay addition).

It has been said before, and is worth repeating, that membership of any
national YH organisation will qualify you to stay in any YH. Membership
of the SYHA at £6 is, then, surely a better option?

Not stopping there, however, the SYHA have a system whereby you pay your
membership by installments at £1 a time. If a non-member turns up at a
hostel they simply pay £1 extra for membership, plus £1 for each
additional hostel visited in the course of the year until you've paid
the £6. Only works in Scottish hostels though, so far as I know.

Colin

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

> I therefore asked if they could tell me whether there would still be
> any point in people continuing to join the organisation, and I was
> told that the staff have not yet been currently briefed on the
> situation, and that the YHA are currently collating feedback and info.
> However, members would continue to receive a handbook, whereas
> non-members wouldn't... hmm...

Don't forget the 10% off at Cotswold and Blacks. That ought to be worth a
tidy sum to..uh..some people.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:32:05 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> I therefore asked if they could tell me whether there would still be
>> any point in people continuing to join the organisation, and I was
>> told that the staff have not yet been currently briefed on the
>> situation, and that the YHA are currently collating feedback and info.
>> However, members would continue to receive a handbook, whereas
>> non-members wouldn't... hmm...

>Don't forget the 10% off at Cotswold and Blacks.

Good point!

>That ought to be worth a tidy sum to..uh..some people.

What can you possibly mean... ;-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Yes - I was surprised to find out the changes (announced along with the
arrival of my replacement handbook)

I've always been happy to pay the yearly sub, whatever the use I make of the
YHA during the year. As I lead a small group of workmates, via a group
membership to introduce kids etc to the advantages of hostelling, I don't
really need the individual one - but for he price I'm happy to support the
organisation in its work.

However this has served to show up one main problem, which is lack of
availability of spare bedplaces at busy times of the year. Perversely it's
been easier with a group as some hostels cater specifically for them, rather
than individuals (Pen-y-Pass for example) as long as hordes of schoolkids
aren't minded too much!

My initial reaction on reading about the changes was - great, more people
get to use the hostels, but what happens when I (as a bona fide member) try
to book in - do I get preference etc.
OK if I prebook, I suspect, but might be a problem if I turn up on spec.

I suppose the main advantage a member will get is the membership book, and
details of the hostels & locations. The discounts are useful, but some of
the other benefits are getting a little fanciful (YHA credit card anyone?)
Of course the hostel info is available via the YHA website, but unless you
are specifically looking for the information I suspect the website wouldn't
be visited.

The hostels these days are often better than good B&B/small hotels - I even
stayed at Oxford with en-suite bathroom and a TV for the room!

In making this change I can see the YHA trying to keep the occupied
beds/night figures up, and lets face it they're still recovering from the
loss of income following the Foot & Mouth a few years back - a few hostels
were sold then as a result of the loss of income.

There's nothing about the changes on the YHA site, but there is a 5 year
plan which includes: reach more people ; increase Youth Hostel use from 2.1
million to 3 million overnights ; increase membership from 300,000 to
500,000

More importantly there's no discussion on there on this particular topic,
which I think is one of the more important changes to the YHA organisation
in the past 10 years or so.

I've dropped a note to the YHA about their lack of communication on this -
let u know what happens

Bryan
Durzet

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:09:10 -0000, "Kenneth Miles"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [...]

can

> I've rung the YHA National Office, and they confirmed that it's
> correct.
>
> I therefore asked if they could tell me whether there would still be
> any point in people continuing to join the organisation, and I was
> told that the staff have not yet been currently briefed on the
> situation, and that the YHA are currently collating feedback and info.
> However, members would continue to receive a handbook, whereas
> non-members wouldn't... hmm...
>
> I agreed to leave my membership details and feedback: apparently
> they'll get back to people in due course. I got the impression that

[email protected] said...
> Yes this appears to be the case. Just got some stuff from the YHA w. r. t.
> my membership and it says exactly that. Can't think this is a very good idea
> for the YHA though - I never use the hostels but maintain my membership just
> in case I need some emergency accomodation (I'd usually plan to camp). If I
> know I can stay at a hostel without being a member then I don't see the
> point of paying to maintain my membership.

There are benefits available to members that will not be
available to non-members, such as discounts at various shops
and tourist attractions. I don't know whether the 'book a bed
ahead' scheme will be open to non-members; certainly they will
not be able to take advantage of rent-a-hostel schemes. That
said, if I book a hostel out of season for my friends, who is
to know how many are members and how many not? If the booking
is in my name as a YHA member it hardly seems to matter who
else is in the party. There's a thread about all this over in
uk.rec.youth-hostel, BTW.
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
> > Yes this appears to be the case. Just got some stuff from the YHA w. r.

t.
> > my membership and it says exactly that. Can't think this is a very good

idea
> > for the YHA though - I never use the hostels but maintain my membership

just
> > in case I need some emergency accomodation (I'd usually plan to camp).

If I
> > know I can stay at a hostel without being a member then I don't see the
> > point of paying to maintain my membership.

> There are benefits available to members that will not be
> available to non-members, such as discounts at various shops
> and tourist attractions. I don't know whether the 'book a bed
> ahead' scheme will be open to non-members; certainly they will
> not be able to take advantage of rent-a-hostel schemes. That
> said, if I book a hostel out of season for my friends, who is
> to know how many are members and how many not? If the booking
> is in my name as a YHA member it hardly seems to matter who
> else is in the party. There's a thread about all this over in
> uk.rec.youth-hostel, BTW.
> --
> All the best to everyone in 2005
> - Fran

Hi Fran

At a guess probably around 60-70% of the groups we get under RaH are not YHA
members. But, if that should become a barrier they'd prob. just take out a
group membership for £14. Personally I say raise RaH by £50 across the board
to cover group bookings.

I'm wondering how to layout our tariff for this year, member, non-member
rates, room rates, seasonal pricing variations... ooop's let that one slip
;-)

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
> > Yes this appears to be the case. Just got some stuff from the YHA w. r.

t.
> > my membership and it says exactly that. Can't think this is a very good

idea
> > for the YHA though - I never use the hostels but maintain my membership

just
> > in case I need some emergency accomodation (I'd usually plan to camp).

If I
> > know I can stay at a hostel without being a member then I don't see the
> > point of paying to maintain my membership.

> There are benefits available to members that will not be
> available to non-members, such as discounts at various shops
> and tourist attractions. I don't know whether the 'book a bed
> ahead' scheme will be open to non-members; certainly they will
> not be able to take advantage of rent-a-hostel schemes. That
> said, if I book a hostel out of season for my friends, who is
> to know how many are members and how many not? If the booking
> is in my name as a YHA member it hardly seems to matter who
> else is in the party. There's a thread about all this over in
> uk.rec.youth-hostel, BTW.
> --
> All the best to everyone in 2005
> - Fran

Hi Fran

At a guess probably around 60-70% of the groups we get under RaH are not YHA
members. But, if that should become a barrier they'd prob. just take out a
group membership for £14. Personally I say raise RaH by £50 across the board
to cover group bookings.

I'm wondering how to layout our tariff for this year, member, non-member
rates, room rates, seasonal pricing variations... ooop's let that one slip
;-)

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:38:23 GMT, "Bryan Hall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip interesting stuff>

>I've dropped a note to the YHA about their lack of communication on this -
>let u know what happens

Many thanks :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

<[email protected]> wrote:

>The hostels these days are often better than good B&B/small hotels - I even
>stayed at Oxford with en-suite bathroom and a TV for the room!

<scream!>

I hope it wasn't a dorm. I would do my nut if there was a TV in my
room and my room-mate(s) wanted to watch it.

I read in hostels. I don't care what it is, I just pick up one of the
books that they have in the lounge and read it. It's always a good
book!

Judith