YST headest

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Hall

My Flevo Oke Ja uses a YST 541 headset, which is knackered. I've done a lot of googling to try to
find a supplier but no luck - I think they're no longer made. The design of this particular
headset is vital to the construction of the Flevo. It's for a threadless steerer but uses a
threaded collar which slips down over the steerer which then locks in place. The upper bearing cup
screws down off this to load the headset. Does that make sense? A conventional threadless headset
(with bolt and starfangled nut) can't be used as the handlebars are about threefeet tall and have
the actual handlebar welded across the top of downtube (this slides into the steerer and is held
in place by a clamp).

So, what now? Does anyone know of a source for the YST541? Or of a similar design headset (1 1/8
inch). I might be able to get a way with replacing the lower cups with some from a standard headset
and keep the upper section, as the wear appears to be is in the lower.

I've got Future Cycles having a look for me, but thought I'd appeal to the massed minds of urc too.

Tim
--

fast and gripping, non pompous, glossy and credible.

Tim Hall wrote:
> My Flevo Oke Ja uses a YST 541 headset, which is knackered. I've done a lot of googling to try to
> find a supplier but no luck - I think they're no longer made. The design of this particular
> headset is vital to the construction of the Flevo. It's for a threadless steerer but uses a
> threaded collar which slips down over the steerer which then locks in place. The upper bearing cup
> screws down off this to load the headset. Does that make sense? A conventional threadless headset
> (with bolt and starfangled nut) can't be used as the handlebars are about threefeet tall and have
> the actual handlebar welded across the top of downtube (this slides into the steerer and is held
> in place by a clamp).
>
>
> So, what now? Does anyone know of a source for the YST541? Or of a similar design headset (1 1/8
> inch). I might be able to get a way with replacing the lower cups with some from a standard
> headset and keep the upper section, as the wear appears to be is in the lower.
>
> I've got Future Cycles having a look for me, but thought I'd appeal to the massed minds of
> urc too.
>
> Tim

It sounds like you may well be Ok just changing the bottom half of the headset, if that really is
the only worn part (although new bearings and grease for the top section would be a good idea too,
while you're at
it). Should that not prove to be good enough, I have a brand new unused YST headset of the
design you are describing, which I would happily swap for a reasonable quality 1 inch
threadless headset.

As a radical alternative to your problem, any headset should be usable in conjunction with one of
these: http://www.use1.com/ringgostar/ringgostar.htm As long as you have enough clearance to use it
(which I would think you would have, if you junk the YST headset).

JimP

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:14:56 +0000, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tim Hall wrote:
>> My Flevo Oke Ja uses a YST 541 headset, which is knackered.

>It sounds like you may well be Ok just changing the bottom half of the headset, if that really is
>the only worn part (although new bearings and grease for the top section would be a good idea too,
>while you're at
>it). Should that not prove to be good enough, I have a brand new unused YST headset of the design
> you are describing, which I would happily swap for a reasonable quality 1 inch threadless
> headset.

Sounds good. If Future can't come up with anything I'll be back to you. Give me a couple of days.
What constitutes "reasonable quality"? (hint, not Chris King ;-))

Tim
--

Tim Hall wrote:

>>Should that not prove to be good enough, I have a brand new unused YST headset of the design you
>>are describing, which I would happily swap for a reasonable quality 1 inch threadless headset.
>
>
> Sounds good. If Future can't come up with anything I'll be back to you. Give me a couple of days.
> What constitutes "reasonable quality"? (hint, not Chris King ;-))

The YST headset was list price £17:00, so my idea of a reasonable quality headset to replace it
would be something else also list price about £17 - if you can get it discounted somewhere, then
that would save you money and I wouldn't mind. Can I be fairer than that?

How did it go with Future Cycles?

JimP

Jim Price wrote:

> Tim Hall wrote:
>
> >>Should that not prove to be good enough, I have a brand new unused YST headset of the design you
> >>are describing, which I would happily swap for a reasonable quality 1 inch threadless headset.
> >
> >
> > Sounds good. If Future can't come up with anything I'll be back to you. Give me a couple of
> > days. What constitutes "reasonable quality"? (hint, not Chris King ;-))
>
> The YST headset was list price £17:00, so my idea of a reasonable quality headset to replace it
> would be something else also list price about £17 - if you can get it discounted somewhere, then
> that would save you money and I wouldn't mind. Can I be fairer than that?
>
> How did it go with Future Cycles?
>
> JimP

this design is also made by Diatech, and is used in Airnimals /Marten

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:31:07 +0000, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tim Hall wrote:
>
>>>Should that not prove to be good enough, I have a brand new unused YST headset of the design you
>>>are describing, which I would happily swap for a reasonable quality 1 inch threadless headset.
>>
>>
>> Sounds good. If Future can't come up with anything I'll be back to you. Give me a couple of days.
>> What constitutes "reasonable quality"? (hint, not Chris King ;-))
>
>The YST headset was list price £17:00, so my idea of a reasonable quality headset to replace it
>would be something else also list price about £17 - if you can get it discounted somewhere, then
>that would save you money and I wouldn't mind. Can I be fairer than that?
>
>How did it go with Future Cycles?

<Replied by email>

Tim
--

Status
Not open for further replies.