Yuni and Qu-ax weights

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Josie, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. Josie

    Josie Guest

    I am looking at the 20" trials Yuni with cotterless cranks
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=585

    And the 20" trials Qu-ax with splined cranks
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=795

    I am wondering what their comparative weights are. The shipping for the
    Qu-ax is 33$ and the shipping for the Yuni is 19$. That's a huge
    difference. If that is just weight and not size the Yuni weighs 47% less
    than the Qu-ax.

    The other thing I am wondering about is the 125mm cranks. They look way
    too short. I have rode the Qu-ax but I have never seen a Yuni. Anyone
    who has rode the Yuni care to comment? How much better is the Yuni's
    tire and rim?

    Josie

    --
    Josie - 3.14159...
    Josie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9306

  2. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    Im supprised in such a big differnece, the yuni frame is like a brick.

    Unless you only plan on doing super super light trials, get the Qu-ax.
    You'll be much better off, even with the weight.

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    "I'm too sexy for the world of the living." - TheObieOne3226

  3. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    6.5kg and 5.7kg according to unicycle.uk.com

    The splined hub and cranks are really heavy compared to the cotterless
    ones. Frame weight is so little on most unis compared to hub+cranks that
    it makes not very much difference.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  4. smdO2

    smdO2 Guest

    'According to Roland at municycle.com ' (http://tinyurl.com/65s95) the
    2005 Splined 20" Quax weight is 6.4Kg

    Id say go with the quax,
    I agree with joe that the splined are heavier than the cotterless, but
    the splined/hub cranks will last a lot longer than the cotterless (if
    you using it for trials/big drops).

    unicycle.com still dont have a pic for the quax on their site?!?
    Make shure you getting the 2005 frame as the older Quax frame was
    heavier and banged your knees apparently.

    Ive had the '2004 20\" splined quax with se frame'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4od2s) for about 7 months now with no problems
    The only other trials uni I have riden and can compare it to is the 2004
    KH, and they feel much the same in weight.

    I now have the 24" Quax muni and love them both!!

    Shaun

    Edit: if that is your uni wheel in your avatar, you shouldnt be too
    concerened about weight :D

    --
    smdO2 - Only One But Fun
    smdO2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7369

  5. ColDawG

    ColDawG Guest

  6. smdO2

    smdO2 Guest

    ColDawG wrote:
    > *how much does the qu-ax 24'' muni weigh?? *

    I havnt weighed mine, but when I was deciding to get a muni, Roland said
    it weighs 7.9Kgs (for the '05 24" splined)

    --
    smdO2 - Only One But Fun
    smdO2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7369

  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

  8. Jim wrote:
    > *Accorcing to the 'unicycle.com website' (http://tinyurl.com/64v5p) it
    > weighs 8kg
    >
    > jim *

    That's gotta be wrong. My muni doesn't weigh 17 lbs and everything on it
    is like the heaviest available.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - SWAT

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
    'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
    'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

    "Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him" - KJ-52

    "try not to annoy the great Obie, for he is better than us." - Murde
    Mental

    *disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
    are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
    feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
    everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

  9. Catboy wrote:
    > *Im supprised in such a big differnece, the yuni frame is like a
    > brick.
    > *

    No, actually, the Yuni frame is rather light. it's less than the KH 04
    and 03 frames. I have no idea where you got the impression of it being
    heavy.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Nick's main man.

    "The genesis of genocide is like a Pagan religion; carefully hidden,
    woven into the holidays of a Christian."-Immortal Technique

    * I need a profile hub, any condition, as long as the splines work! (PM
    me) *