Z1FR and QR20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Westie

I don't know much about this system. Is the QR20 worth considering if I do some road, mostly trails
and 'aggressive' XC stuff. Maybe a touch of freeriding on occasion? I'd need new hubs, wouldn't I?
Is it more marketing hype? If I was hypothetically looking at a Z1FR fork would it be worth getting
the standard dropouts or the QR20?
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:28:57 +1300, Westie wrote:

> I don't know much about this system. Is the QR20 worth considering if I do some road, mostly
> trails and 'aggressive' XC stuff. Maybe a touch of freeriding on occasion? I'd need new hubs,
> wouldn't I? Is it more marketing hype? If I was hypothetically looking at a Z1FR fork would it be
> worth getting the standard dropouts or the QR20?

Pros: Stiffer fork, better tracking, safer. Cons: Heavier, more annoying to remove the wheel,
normally need new hub.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I don't know much about this system. Is the QR20 worth considering if I do some road, mostly
> trails and 'aggressive' XC stuff. Maybe a touch of freeriding on occasion?

Seems like overkill, but no one knows your riding style as well as you. It is, at the very least, a
very stout setup.

> I'd need new hubs, wouldn't I?

Yes, but everyone from A.C. to White Industries is making 20mm through-Axle hubs.

> Is it more marketing hype?

Possibly, but you don't have to worry about a QR comming loose because of disc input. The Marzocchi
set up is the "Anti-Quick Realease."

> If I was hypothetically looking at a Z1FR fork would it be worth getting the standard dropouts or
> the QR20?

If your not going to go all the way ... why go at all.

R

> trails and 'aggressive' XC stuff. Maybe a touch of freeriding on occasion? I'd need new hubs,
> wouldn't I? Is it more marketing hype? If I was hypothetically looking at a Z1FR fork would it be
> worth getting the standard dropouts or the QR20?

Part of the argument for QR20 is the issue with disk brakes and front wheel separation. If it's
real, then this system would reduce it's likelihood.

(Search rec.bicycles.tech on "disk brakes" and James Annan" for more opinion than you can shake a
stick at.)

Yes, a new hub. Just the front, methinks. If the info you read scares you, go QR20. If it doesn't,
standard DO. For my part, both bikes have disk brakes on the front with standard DOs and QRs
(Shimano hubs and QRs, which supposedly are high quality for the task of disk-brake-equipped forks.)

Good luck.
--
Jonesy

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:28:57 +1300, Westie wrote:
>
> > I don't know much about this system. Is the QR20 worth considering if I
do
> > some road, mostly trails and 'aggressive' XC stuff. Maybe a touch of freeriding on occasion? I'd
> > need new hubs, wouldn't I? Is it more marketing hype? If I was hypothetically looking at a Z1FR
fork
> > would it be worth getting the standard dropouts or the QR20?
>
> Pros: Stiffer fork, better tracking, safer. Cons: Heavier, more annoying to remove the wheel,
> normally need new hub.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
>
You forgot to mention a "Fork-Up is needed to transport on a normal bike rack. I only use qr-20
forks now. Greater stiffness. Better tracking. Just like you said.

TJ

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I don't know much about this system. Is the QR20 worth considering if I
do
> > some road, mostly trails and 'aggressive' XC stuff. Maybe a touch of freeriding on occasion? I'd
> > need new hubs, wouldn't I? Is it more marketing hype? If I was hypothetically looking at a Z1FR
fork
> > would it be worth getting the standard dropouts or the QR20?
>
> Part of the argument for QR20 is the issue with disk brakes and front wheel separation. If it's
> real, then this system would reduce it's likelihood.
>
> (Search rec.bicycles.tech on "disk brakes" and James Annan" for more opinion than you can shake a
> stick at.)
>
> Yes, a new hub. Just the front, methinks. If the info you read scares you, go QR20. If it
> doesn't, standard DO. For my part, both bikes have disk brakes on the front with standard DOs
> and QRs (Shimano hubs and QRs, which supposedly are high quality for the task of disk-brake-
> equipped forks.)
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm fairly well versed in the disc brake/QR mayhem debate. I've got
new Crossmax wheelset on the ride in question so I'm going to discard the idea of the QR20 for the
time being. I simply don't want to 'fork' out (haha) for a new hub. That solves the issue of the QR.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

> "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I don't know much about this system. Is the QR20 worth considering if I
> do
> > > some road, mostly trails and 'aggressive' XC stuff. Maybe a touch of freeriding on occasion?
> > > I'd need new hubs, wouldn't I? Is it more marketing hype? If I was hypothetically looking at a
> > > Z1FR
> fork
> > > would it be worth getting the standard dropouts or the QR20?
> >
> > Part of the argument for QR20 is the issue with disk brakes and front wheel separation. If it's
> > real, then this system would reduce it's likelihood.
> >
> > (Search rec.bicycles.tech on "disk brakes" and James Annan" for more opinion than you can shake
> > a stick at.)
> >
> > Yes, a new hub. Just the front, methinks. If the info you read scares you, go QR20. If it
> > doesn't, standard DO. For my part, both bikes have disk brakes on the front with standard DOs
> > and QRs (Shimano hubs and QRs, which supposedly are high quality for the task of disk-brake-
> > equipped forks.)
> >
> > Good luck.
>
> Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm fairly well versed in the disc brake/QR mayhem debate. I've
> got new Crossmax wheelset on the ride in question so I'm going to discard the idea of the QR20
> for the time being. I simply don't want to 'fork' out (haha) for a new hub. That solves the issue
> of the QR.

Agggg! Crossmax? For light freeride? I wouldn't.
--
Jonesy

> > Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm fairly well versed in the disc brake/QR mayhem debate. I've
> > got new Crossmax wheelset on the ride in question so I'm going to discard the idea of the QR20
> > for the time being. I simply don't want to 'fork' out (haha) for a new hub. That solves the
> > issue of the QR.
>
>
>
> Agggg! Crossmax? For light freeride? I wouldn't.
> --
> Jonesy
>

A QR20 Crossmax would be a conversation starter though. Complete strangers would come up to you and
say things like "WTF are you doing, barney?"
--

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> A QR20 Crossmax would be a conversation starter though. Complete strangers would come up to you
> and say things like "WTF are you doing, barney?"

Thanks Chris :p Like I said, I didn't know much about that QR20system. Now that you've put it that
way, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the 'freeriding' word at all. My bad.
--
Westie Looks like Barney Rubble, but tries to avoid being one ;-) (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo'
when replying.)

Status
Not open for further replies.