Z2 Atom Bomb: Still good or past prime?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by supabonbon, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    w/80mm travel online for $180.
    I've been looking for a good dependable coil fork with short travel,
    and this seems like a good deal.
    However, I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
    have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short travel
    fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it.
    Is the Z2 still worth getting? Opinions please.

    /s

    Tags:

  2. jw

    jw Guest

    Me too! 210# East Coaster. Mine is a 1999 Z2 that i just up-rated the
    springs (I wasn't 210 when I got the fork ;^)
    It works great. Now if I could just find time to ride it more...
    I'm in NYC; you?

    "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    > w/80mm travel online for $180.
    > I've been looking for a good dependable coil fork with short travel,
    > and this seems like a good deal.
    > However, I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
    > have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short travel
    > fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it.
    > Is the Z2 still worth getting? Opinions please.
    >
    > /s

  3. David

    David Guest

    "jw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Me too! 210# East Coaster. Mine is a 1999 Z2 that i just up-rated the
    > springs (I wasn't 210 when I got the fork ;^)
    > It works great.

    My '99 Z1 (mostly used as 105mm instead of 130mm) recently broke at the
    crown. I'm way lighter than you. Hope your Z2 continues to hold up.

    > Now if I could just find time to ride it more...
    > I'm in NYC; you?
    >
    > "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    > > w/80mm travel online for $180.

    By 2000 they had the Cryofit crown (or whatever they called it, without
    the pinch bolts), right? I think it's stonger than the old style. If buying used
    no way I'd consider the bolted crown. NOS, it shouldn't matter for a while
    anyway.

    Still great forks IMO. I may change my mind after my replacement MX Comp
    is broken in, but until then, it doesn't feel as smooth as the old Z1 & Z2s.

  4. Desert Rat

    Desert Rat Guest

    "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    > w/80mm travel online for $180.
    > I've been looking for a good dependable coil fork with short travel,
    > and this seems like a good deal.
    > However, I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
    > have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short travel
    > fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it.
    > Is the Z2 still worth getting? Opinions please.
    >
    > /s

    I've been riding this fork since 2001 and it is a great fork. The only
    thing I've done was to upgrade the springs about 6 months ago to the heavy
    springs (which you'll want to do). No maintenance and works like a champ.
    One downside is that I you can't remove the canti posts if you plan to run
    disc brakes. The funny part is that I paid $200 for it on sale in 2001,
    apparently there isn't much depreciation on these.

    When I was looking for an alternative for my SS I looked for these, but
    settled on a 2004 Marathon S for $300 and love it.

    -Derek

  5. supabonbon wrote:
    > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    > w/80mm travel online for $180.

    Do you mean the 2000 Z2 Atom 80? It's what I have on the Fisher.

    > I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
    > have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short

    travel
    > fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it. Is the Z2 still worth

    getting?
    > Opinions please.

    I haven't ridden any of the new stuff either, so my opinion on their
    comparative worth is useless.

    However, I really fail to see how a stiff, simple, bomproof 80mm fork
    like the Z2 could ever go out of style. No fancy geegaws like lockout
    or adjustable travel, but who gives a fuck? Compression damping is
    adjusted via oil weight, rebound and preload are independently
    adjustable via knobs. Completely disassemblable and servicable (I can
    send you a shop manual now that Marz has gone chickenshit and taken
    them offline). You'll want the heavy spring kit: I run a heavy in one
    leg and a medium in another.

    I consider it nearly the perfect fork. For $180 it's a rockin deal.
    CC

  6. "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > supabonbon wrote:
    > > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    > > w/80mm travel online for $180.

    snip

    > I consider it nearly the perfect fork. For $180 it's a rockin deal.
    > CC

    I agree that it's a rockin' fork but I think you should also consider the
    2004 Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm coil/oil forks going for $179.00 at JensonUSA
    right now. My two MX Comps (2003 and 2004) have proven to be worthy
    successors to my '98 Z2 Alloy and '99 Z2 Atom Bomb. (I bought the latter on
    closeout from Nashbar for $160.00 based on a tip from JG in this forum a few
    years back.) One advantage that you may find with the MX Comp is that you
    may not need the heavier springs. I'm about 245 lbs and I find the stock
    springs that came with the MX Comps to be just fine even though extra-firm
    springs were better for me in all my earlier Marzocchi Z1 and Z2 forks.

  7. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    "Keith T. Lukaszek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > supabonbon wrote:
    > > > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    > > > w/80mm travel online for $180.

    > snip
    >

    > > I consider it nearly the perfect fork. For $180 it's a rockin deal.
    > > CC
    > >

    > I agree that it's a rockin' fork but I think you should also consider the
    > 2004 Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm coil/oil forks going for $179.00 at JensonUSA
    > right now. My two MX Comps (2003 and 2004) have proven to be worthy
    > successors to my '98 Z2 Alloy and '99 Z2 Atom Bomb. (I bought the latter on
    > closeout from Nashbar for $160.00 based on a tip from JG in this forum a few
    > years back.) One advantage that you may find with the MX Comp is that you
    > may not need the heavier springs. I'm about 245 lbs and I find the stock
    > springs that came with the MX Comps to be just fine even though extra-firm
    > springs were better for me in all my earlier Marzocchi Z1 and Z2 forks.

    I see... the plot thickens.
    Anyone else have any pros or cons with the MX Comp? (And, yes, I know
    how to find www.mtbr.com.) I remember a couple years ago Marzocchi
    started gearing their forks towards heavier riders, which may explain
    the firmer stock spring on the newer model. That's a plus.
    Another plus is that presumably warranty/replacement stuff would be
    simpler with a newer model.
    Also: I should add that adjustment isn't something I enjoy fiddling
    with. I just want to get it dialed and leave it that way.

    /s

  8. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 30 Sep 2004 09:28:25 -0700, [email protected] (supabonbon)
    wrote:

    >I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
    >w/80mm travel online for $180.
    >I've been looking for a good dependable coil fork with short travel,
    >and this seems like a good deal.
    >However, I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
    >have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short travel
    >fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it.
    >Is the Z2 still worth getting? Opinions please.
    >
    >/s

    I've been ridin mine since 2001 witn no problems. I added the stiffest
    spring set, and service at least yearly and haven't had a bit of
    problem. I'd say go for it.