Z2 Atom Bomb: Still good or past prime?

supabonbon

Guest
I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
w/80mm travel online for $180.
I've been looking for a good dependable coil fork with short travel,
and this seems like a good deal.
However, I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short travel
fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it.
Is the Z2 still worth getting? Opinions please.

/s

Me too! 210# East Coaster. Mine is a 1999 Z2 that i just up-rated the
springs (I wasn't 210 when I got the fork ;^)
It works great. Now if I could just find time to ride it more...
I'm in NYC; you?

news:[email protected]...

"jw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KWW6d.22550$M45.10518@trndny09...
> Me too! 210# East Coaster. Mine is a 1999 Z2 that i just up-rated the
> springs (I wasn't 210 when I got the fork ;^)
> It works great.

My '99 Z1 (mostly used as 105mm instead of 130mm) recently broke at the
crown. I'm way lighter than you. Hope your Z2 continues to hold up.

> Now if I could just find time to ride it more...
> I'm in NYC; you?
>
> "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
> > w/80mm travel online for $180.

By 2000 they had the Cryofit crown (or whatever they called it, without
the pinch bolts), right? I think it's stonger than the old style. If buying used
no way I'd consider the bolted crown. NOS, it shouldn't matter for a while
anyway.

Still great forks IMO. I may change my mind after my replacement MX Comp
is broken in, but until then, it doesn't feel as smooth as the old Z1 & Z2s.

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
> w/80mm travel online for $180.
> I've been looking for a good dependable coil fork with short travel,
> and this seems like a good deal.
> However, I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
> have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short travel
> fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it.
> Is the Z2 still worth getting? Opinions please.
>
> /s

I've been riding this fork since 2001 and it is a great fork. The only
thing I've done was to upgrade the springs about 6 months ago to the heavy
springs (which you'll want to do). No maintenance and works like a champ.
One downside is that I you can't remove the canti posts if you plan to run
disc brakes. The funny part is that I paid $200 for it on sale in 2001,
apparently there isn't much depreciation on these.

When I was looking for an alternative for my SS I looked for these, but
settled on a 2004 Marathon S for $300 and love it.

-Derek

supabonbon wrote:
> I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
> w/80mm travel online for $180.

Do you mean the 2000 Z2 Atom 80? It's what I have on the Fisher.

> I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
> have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short

travel
> fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it. Is the Z2 still worth

getting?
> Opinions please.

I haven't ridden any of the new stuff either, so my opinion on their
comparative worth is useless.

However, I really fail to see how a stiff, simple, bomproof 80mm fork
like the Z2 could ever go out of style. No fancy geegaws like lockout
or adjustable travel, but who gives a ****? Compression damping is
adjusted via oil weight, rebound and preload are independently
adjustable via knobs. Completely disassemblable and servicable (I can
send you a shop manual now that Marz has gone chickenshit and taken
them offline). You'll want the heavy spring kit: I run a heavy in one
leg and a medium in another.

I consider it nearly the perfect fork. For $180 it's a rockin deal.
CC

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> supabonbon wrote:
> > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
> > w/80mm travel online for $180.

snip

> I consider it nearly the perfect fork. For $180 it's a rockin deal.
> CC

I agree that it's a rockin' fork but I think you should also consider the
2004 Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm coil/oil forks going for $179.00 at JensonUSA
right now. My two MX Comps (2003 and 2004) have proven to be worthy
successors to my '98 Z2 Alloy and '99 Z2 Atom Bomb. (I bought the latter on
closeout from Nashbar for $160.00 based on a tip from JG in this forum a few
years back.) One advantage that you may find with the MX Comp is that you
may not need the heavier springs. I'm about 245 lbs and I find the stock
springs that came with the MX Comps to be just fine even though extra-firm
springs were better for me in all my earlier Marzocchi Z1 and Z2 forks.

"Keith T. Lukaszek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > supabonbon wrote:
> > > I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
> > > w/80mm travel online for $180.

> snip
>

> > I consider it nearly the perfect fork. For $180 it's a rockin deal.
> > CC
> >

> I agree that it's a rockin' fork but I think you should also consider the
> 2004 Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm coil/oil forks going for $179.00 at JensonUSA
> right now. My two MX Comps (2003 and 2004) have proven to be worthy
> successors to my '98 Z2 Alloy and '99 Z2 Atom Bomb. (I bought the latter on
> closeout from Nashbar for $160.00 based on a tip from JG in this forum a few
> years back.) One advantage that you may find with the MX Comp is that you
> may not need the heavier springs. I'm about 245 lbs and I find the stock
> springs that came with the MX Comps to be just fine even though extra-firm
> springs were better for me in all my earlier Marzocchi Z1 and Z2 forks.

I see... the plot thickens.
Anyone else have any pros or cons with the MX Comp? (And, yes, I know
how to find www.mtbr.com.) I remember a couple years ago Marzocchi
started gearing their forks towards heavier riders, which may explain
the firmer stock spring on the newer model. That's a plus.
Another plus is that presumably warranty/replacement stuff would be
simpler with a newer model.
Also: I should add that adjustment isn't something I enjoy fiddling
with. I just want to get it dialed and leave it that way.

/s

On 30 Sep 2004 09:28:25 -0700, [email protected] (supabonbon)
wrote:

>I (a 210lb east coaster) found an NOS 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb
>w/80mm travel online for $180.
>I've been looking for a good dependable coil fork with short travel,
>and this seems like a good deal.
>However, I'm behind the times of half a decade's suspension tech. I
>have yet to ride any SPV stuff, for example, though for a short travel
>fork I'm not sure how much I'd need it.
>Is the Z2 still worth getting? Opinions please.
>
>/s

I've been ridin mine since 2001 witn no problems. I added the stiffest
spring set, and service at least yearly and haven't had a bit of
problem. I'd say go for it.