Zabel in doubt: I will not take a final decision "before August."

cyclingheroes

Sep 9, 2005

11.01.2008/ Erik Zabel and Alessandro Petacchi had a difficult year. Petacchi was tested positive for Salbutamol, but the Italian sprinter was cleared because he had a medical exemption. Erik Zabel confessed to have taken epo in 1996, his confession was part of a wave of confessions by former Telekom riders. It was expected that Zabel would retire after the 2008 season, but at yesterdays team presentation it seemed that Zabel is in doubt. Erik Zabel and Alessandro Petacchi spoke with the media during yesterdays team Milram presentation.

http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id1085.html

cyclingheroes said:

11.01.2008/ Erik Zabel and Alessandro Petacchi had a difficult year. Petacchi was tested positive for Salbutamol, but the Italian sprinter was cleared because he had a medical exemption. Erik Zabel confessed to have taken epo in 1996, his confession was part of a wave of confessions by former Telekom riders. It was expected that Zabel would retire after the 2008 season, but at yesterdays team presentation it seemed that Zabel is in doubt. Erik Zabel and Alessandro Petacchi spoke with the media during yesterdays team Milram presentation.

http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id1085.html
In doubt about whether he will ride past 2008.

You have been putting up a lot of good material lately, CH.

Bro Deal said:
In doubt about whether he will ride past 2008.

You have been putting up a lot of good material lately, CH.
Thanks, tomorrow morning I write the race report of the Vuelta Al tachira...

I think he will retire but it was funny to see that he was very determint at the press conference and when I spoke with him after the press conference he wasn't sure at all....

He said it depends on if he could still be a help for the team and get some good results. Erik loves his bike. He is riding always... the season stops... Erik goes on the track. Sometimes I see him training (I live about 10 k's from where he lives) in really shitty weather during the winter time. Always out on his bike.

Nice one.

Zabel does seem to love the bike - I always got that impression from any interviews he has given.
His love of training/racing is apparent.

Seems to me that he will be one guy who may not retire easily or happily (happily - by that I mean, he would be happy to retire).

What are Zabel's plans for after retirement?

At one time he was set for a job with T-Mobile's team, but that will be a little bit hard now.

Bro Deal said:

At one time he was set for a job with T-Mobile's team, but that will be a little bit hard now.
he does not need the money.

Perhaps he might just run a junior team or something.

His son will be a teenager about now too.

Bro Deal said:

Well he said he will take a break for about a year and than he said... hmmm I don't know I might work for a team right away... I love cycling...

I hope he continues to race. A real professional who gives it 110% and someone who clearly loves the sport and what he is doing.

I read an article about how Zabel maintains an apartment just to store his bikes, trophies and jerseys. The bikes are lined up in the front room as if they are in a museum. The trophies and jerseys are piled up in the back room as if they were trash. Clearly the guy has his priorities in order. He is an unashamed bike nerd.

Frigo's Luggage said:
I read an article about how Zabel maintains an apartment just to store his bikes, trophies and jerseys. The bikes are lined up in the front room as if they are in a museum. The trophies and jerseys are piled up in the back room as if they were trash. Clearly the guy has his priorities in order. He is an unashamed bike nerd.
Correct, the guy who wrote the article didn't made this up. Its true and yes he is a bike nerd.

Although a bike nerd who (I read in an article) makes fun of people who obsess about the weight of their bikes (especially if you're not riding in the mountains). I like that.

kennf said:
Although a bike nerd who (I read in an article) makes fun of people who obsess about the weight of their bikes (especially if you're not riding in the mountains). I like that.
He is one of the last 'old school' bike nerds.