Zabel is washed up

"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>> He was washed up years ago. Wears points jersey.
>>

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/tour02/?id=diaries/mike_diary/mike025
>
> "Zabel has come to realize he is slowing down."
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. You don't need to be fast to be consistent...

If you want to put this in prospective - I was just watching the 1999 Tour
on tape and listened to Phil saying - "Zabel has lost his speed and just
can't seem to win anything." Now how many green jerseys did he win after
that?

On Jul 13, 5:46 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >> He was washed up years ago. Wears points jersey.

> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/tour02/?id=diaries/mike_diary/mi...

> > "Zabel has come to realize he is slowing down."

> > Dan

> > P.S. You don't need to be fast to be consistent...

> If you want to put this in prospective - I was just watching the 1999 Tour
> on tape and listened to Phil saying - "Zabel has lost his speed and just
> can't seem to win anything." Now how many green jerseys did he win after
> that?

He's definitely washed up. You really have to suck to be able to
consistently finish top five, stage after stage. he may not have the
kick he once did, but experience and smarts still make him one of the
best in the business.
Bill C

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> He was washed up years ago. Wears points jersey.

Dumbass,

He took a job as a leadout rider. It isn't his fault
he's riding as a sprinter again.

For what it's worth, he's won the green jersey twice
without taking a stage (1998, 1999). In 1999 he got
2nd four times.

Neither is a record. Sean Kelly won three green
jerseys without taking a stage (1983, 1984, 1989).
In 1985 he took 2nd no less than 5 times.

Bob Schwartz

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> "Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >> He was washed up years ago. Wears points jersey.
> >>

> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/tour02/?id=diaries/mike_diary/mike025
> >
> > "Zabel has come to realize he is slowing down."
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > P.S. You don't need to be fast to be consistent...

> If you want to put this in prospective - I was just watching the 1999 Tour
> on tape and listened to Phil saying - "Zabel has lost his speed and just
> can't seem to win anything." Now how many green jerseys did he win after
> that?

Yeah. First off, I have to take my foot out of my mouth here, since I
asked a question about whether Boonen could become the first green
jersey winner to not take a stage, and now it turns out that hardly any
of the green jersey winners has taken a stage :).

But that said, my new explanation is that "to finish first, you must
first finish."

As the example of Cipollini demonstrates, the stage-hunters often perish
in the mountains, and go home early. They leave the apparent also-rans
of the points chase, those sprinters who can get through the mountains
without a hors delai, to pick up the leftovers.

I think it's hilarious that Zabel seems to have had more success since
he started slowing down than he did when he was fast.

I expect great things from him once he retires,

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> > "Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >>

> > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/tour02/?id=diaries/mike_diary/mike025
> > >
> > > "Zabel has come to realize he is slowing down."
> > >
> > > Dan
> > >
> > > P.S. You don't need to be fast to be consistent...

> > If you want to put this in prospective - I was just watching the 1999 Tour
> > on tape and listened to Phil saying - "Zabel has lost his speed and just
> > can't seem to win anything." Now how many green jerseys did he win after
> > that?

> Yeah. First off, I have to take my foot out of my mouth here, since I
> asked a question about whether Boonen could become the first green
> jersey winner to not take a stage, and now it turns out that hardly any
> of the green jersey winners has taken a stage :).
>
> But that said, my new explanation is that "to finish first, you must
> first finish."
>
> As the example of Cipollini demonstrates, the stage-hunters often perish
> in the mountains, and go home early. They leave the apparent also-rans
> of the points chase, those sprinters who can get through the mountains
> without a hors delai, to pick up the leftovers.
>
> I think it's hilarious that Zabel seems to have had more success since
> he started slowing down than he did when he was fast.
>
> I expect great things from him once he retires,

I think that Zabel has gotten over the mountains better than many of his sprinter
competition, frequently finishing those stages long before the bus shows up with the
rest. No, he may not be a frequent winner but he is more often than not in the first
three or four. You still need a good turn of speed to pull that off.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> In 1985 he took 2nd no less than 5 times.

So how many times was he second, then?

Dan

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> I think it's hilarious that Zabel seems to have had more success since
> he started slowing down than he did when he was fast.
>
> I expect great things from him once he retires,

Somebody has to beat him to retirement though, else how can he
finish 2nd.