Zabel quits T-Mobel

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by tispectrum, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. tispectrum

    tispectrum Guest

    Germany's Zabel quits T-Mobile after 13 years

    PARIS, July 31 (Reuters) - Germany's Erik Zabel, the most
    successful active rider, announced on Sunday he was leaving team T-Mobile
    after 13 years with the German outfit.

    "It's a real pity that we couldn't reach an agreement," Zabel,
    35, said on T-Mobile's website.

    "Both parties had their own ideas, which we couldn't agree to.
    But that is nothing exceptional in professional sport. I will walk away with
    many great memories and as a friend."

    Zabel, a winner of 191 races in his career, was not retained for
    the last Tour de France when the T-mobile team was built around 1997
    champion Jan Ullrich in a bid for overall victory rather than stage success.

    Ullrich finished third overall while Kazakh Alexander
    Vinokourov, who is also leaving the team at the end of the season to join
    Spain's Liberty Seguros, won two stages.

    Italy's Giuseppe Guerini won a third stage and T-Mobile finished
    top of the team standings.

    Zabel had apparently been offered a four-year contract, two of
    them as a rider and the remaining two as a media officer.

    The German rider, who won a record six green jerseys as the best
    sprinter in the Tour de France, will announce his new team at a later date.

    Zabel had been approached by Italy's Domina Vacanze but the
    Italian group signed Alessandro Petaccchi a week ago, closing the door on
    the German.

  2. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    That would really be humiliating. The best thing he could do is
    quitting. I would be sad to see hem adding an anonymous year at let's
    say Geroldsteiner to his rich career.

    Kenny

  3. Kenny wrote:
    > That would really be humiliating. The best thing he could do is
    > quitting. I would be sad to see hem adding an anonymous year at let's
    > say Geroldsteiner to his rich career.

    Maybe his career will rebound dramatically after he escapes the
    pink and black hole of talent at Telekom. It's happened before.
    He should take a pay cut and go to CSC ...

    BTW, T-Mobel, like it says in the subject, is a German furniture
    superstore (sort of Das IKEA). You guys should see the ad where
    Catherine Zeta-Jones demonstrates the sofabed.