Zabel removed as World's "Ambassador"

Klodifan

Aug 26, 2006
I give credit to Zabel for coming forward with his admission last month. I also think he should be applauded instead of chastised by the cycling leadership, or should I say lack of leadership. It takes courage to lead and to say things that are unpopular and not what you think everyone wants to hear like a hallow admonishment over doping cyclists. To come down on just the riders when the entire institution is mired in doping will never trully fix the problem. It is systemic. And what message does this really send? It tells other dopers to keep their mouths shut. It doesn't encourage open discourse. And I think the hypocrites that are in charge sincerely want it that way... a dark, secretive world of shadows. The show that is being presented to us now, is merely a ruse.

Klodifan said:
I give credit to Zabel for coming forward with his admission last month. I also think he should be applauded instead of chastised by the cycling leadership, or should I say lack of leadership. It takes courage to lead and to say things that are unpopular and not what you think everyone wants to hear like a hallow admonishment over doping cyclists. To come down on just the riders when the entire institution is mired in doping will never trully fix the problem. It is systemic. And what message does this really send? It tells other dopers to keep their mouths shut. It doesn't encourage open discourse. And I think the hypocrites that are in charge sincerely want it that way... a dark, secretive world of shadows. The show that is being presented to us now, is merely a ruse.
Coming forward?

1) he admitted to one week of EPO dosing, no steroids, no testosterone gel.

2) he was NOT sacked

3) he is still racing, no suspension for his crimes

He is a hypocrite and a drug cheat.

Doctor.House said:
Coming forward?

1) he admitted to one week of EPO dosing, no steroids, no testosterone gel.

2) he was NOT sacked

3) he is still racing, no suspension for his crimes

He is a hypocrite and a drug cheat.
So, with this kind of mentality reform will never come. How can you say he is a hypocrite and drug cheat when you also say the entire peloton is doped? Surely he must rank higher then the true hypocrites who are staying silent and hoping this scandal passes by. This is what I mean by having true leadership. A good leader would acknowledge Zabel's attempts, issue a one time amnesty for the peloton, then lifetime bans if ever convicted of cheating again. Not half hearted postering for the public, ie., Basso. Furthermore, stiff penalties and suspension for DS and entire teams if one is found cheating. That way if someone else's livelihood is dependant on another's the culture of doping will change. The culture will be where all want to make their livelihoods cleanly instead of risking not only your reputation but the entire team and organization. And the cycling leadership needs to fight back with the media with coherant and cogent arguments to win back public support and make this an issue for entire sport, not just cyling, b/c OP wasn't just about cycling. Take some pressure off just cycling. Only strong leaders can achieve this.

Klodifan said:
So, with this kind of mentality reform will never come. How can you say he is a hypocrite and drug cheat when you also say the entire peloton is doped? Surely he must rank higher then the true hypocrites who are staying silent and hoping this scandal passes by. This is what I mean by having true leadership. A good leader would acknowledge Zabel's attempts, issue a one time amnesty for the peloton, then lifetime bans if ever convicted of cheating again. Not half hearted postering for the public, ie., Basso. Furthermore, stiff penalties and suspension for DS and entire teams if one is found cheating. That way if someone else's livelihood is dependant on another's the culture of doping will change. The culture will be where all want to make their livelihoods cleanly instead of risking not only your reputation but the entire team and organization. And the cycling leadership needs to fight back with the media with coherant and cogent arguments to win back public support and make this an issue for entire sport, not just cyling, b/c OP wasn't just about cycling. Take some pressure off just cycling. Only strong leaders can achieve this.
The doping culture is not changing. Not with Zabel & Riss still employed.

Made-for-TV advertising-based sports do NOT require an Erik Zabel and his pathetic, piece-meal, so-called EPO confession to cry on cue.

The greatest frauds are the corporations who underwrite the doping and create the institutional system of doping, lying, masking and freakishness.

T-Mobile
CSC
USPO
Discovery Channel
Cofidis
Predictor Lotto
Liquigas
Quick Step

etc....