Zabriskie to do a Merck Hour attempt

[email protected] wrote:
> gym.gravity wrote:
>> he's been away on a secret training camp in south africa.
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec15news

> it'd be nice to see him do it on a team cervelo

The UCI rules on the hour. The Cervelo doesn't have round tubes:

The Hour Record is the greatest distance achieved in one hour on a
traditional bicycle, as defined in artcles 1.3.006 to 1.3.010 and
1.3.019 of the rules, and as further defined in the following
pecifications:
• Triangular frame composed of straight, circular section tubes with a
minimum diameter of 2.5 cm.
• Traditional style handlebars with an overall width of 50 cm maximum
and 34 cm minimum.
• Two wheels of equal diameter, measuring 65 to 70 cm, including tyres.
• Tyre section of a minimum of 16 mm and a maximum of 25 mm.
• Spoked wheels with a minimum of 16 and a maximum of 32 spokes; the
spokes may be round, flat or oval provided that none of their
cross-sections exceeds 2 mm.
• Shallow, unelongated, non-profiled rims; shallow rims are understood
to be rims whose cross-section fits inside a 2.2 cm square.
• Other measurements in accordance with those defined in articles
1.3.012 to 1.3.017 (see figure “Measurements”) and 1.3.022, 1.3.024 and
1.3.025.
(1) The spokes may be round, flat or oval as long as the width of a
cross-section at any point is no broader than 2 mm in any direction.
(2) Shallow rims are understood to be rims whose cross-section fits
inside a 2.2 cm square.

Riders must wear a helmet certified according to international safety
standards, intended solely for the purposes of protecting the head,
without a visor, and without any devices or shapes added to or moulded
into the helmet with the intention of or having the effect of reducing
air resistance.
Articles 1.3.026 and 1.3.033 will be strictly applied.

Dan Connelly wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > gym.gravity wrote:
> >> he's been away on a secret training camp in south africa.
> >>
> >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec15news

> > it'd be nice to see him do it on a team cervelo
> >

> The UCI rules on the hour. The Cervelo doesn't have round tubes:

yah, I know...I just that there was quite a bit of interest and
development in the early 90s with boardman, obree, indurain rominger
doing the hour and all the others who expressed interest in the
challenge. cervelo have an edge with their standard team issue frames
and by virtue of the fact that he could concievably set a new record
using it I just think it is a shame that if he did the uci would not
recognize dz's accomplishment.

> Dan Connelly wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > it'd be nice to see him do it on a team cervelo
> > >

> > The UCI rules on the hour. The Cervelo doesn't have round tubes:
> >

> yah, I know...I just that there was quite a bit of interest and
> development in the early 90s with boardman, obree, indurain rominger
> doing the hour and all the others who expressed interest in the
> challenge. cervelo have an edge with their standard team issue frames
> and by virtue of the fact that he could concievably set a new record
> using it I just think it is a shame that if he did the uci would not
> recognize dz's accomplishment.

There's two records: the Athlete's Hour and the Best Hour Performance.

The latter essentially allows any bike and position legal for the track.

Mind you, the UCI has diligently banned stuff like the Superman, Obree's
Mantis, and in one famous incident preemptively banned a position after
seeing Graeme try it out in practice before a major track event.

Interested in the HPV 'drome record,

In article <45831975.3050903@y_a_h_o_o.c_o_m>,
Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o.c_o_m> wrote:

> € Spoked wheels with a minimum of 16 and a maximum of 32 spokes; the
> spokes may be round, flat or oval provided that none of their
> cross-sections exceeds 2 mm.
> € Shallow, unelongated, non-profiled rims; shallow rims are understood
> to be rims whose cross-section fits inside a 2.2 cm square.

I wonder if they'd consider Fiamme Red Label track rims to be "profiled" rims.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Why doesn't the UCI simply provide the bike? They could keep a stash of
no-name steel bikes in various sizes with identical wheels and
components, and the prospective record breaker can choose one and go for
it. BYOS&P (bring your own saddle and pedals).

Wayne

In article <45831975.3050903@y_a_h_o_o.c_o_m>,
Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o.c_o_m> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > gym.gravity wrote:
> >> he's been away on a secret training camp in south africa.
> >>
> >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec15news

> > it'd be nice to see him do it on a team cervelo
> >

> The UCI rules on the hour. The Cervelo doesn't have round tubes:
>
> The Hour Record is the greatest distance achieved in one hour on a
> traditional bicycle, as defined in artcles 1.3.006 to 1.3.010 and
> 1.3.019 of the rules, and as further defined in the following
> pecifications:
> € Triangular frame composed of straight, circular section tubes with a
> minimum diameter of 2.5 cm.
> € Traditional style handlebars with an overall width of 50 cm maximum
> and 34 cm minimum.
> € Two wheels of equal diameter, measuring 65 to 70 cm, including tyres.
> € Tyre section of a minimum of 16 mm and a maximum of 25 mm.
> € Spoked wheels with a minimum of 16 and a maximum of 32 spokes; the
> spokes may be round, flat or oval provided that none of their
> cross-sections exceeds 2 mm.
> € Shallow, unelongated, non-profiled rims; shallow rims are understood
> to be rims whose cross-section fits inside a 2.2 cm square.
> € Other measurements in accordance with those defined in articles
> 1.3.012 to 1.3.017 (see figure ³Measurements²) and 1.3.022, 1.3.024 and
> 1.3.025.
> (1) The spokes may be round, flat or oval as long as the width of a
> cross-section at any point is no broader than 2 mm in any direction.
> (2) Shallow rims are understood to be rims whose cross-section fits
> inside a 2.2 cm square.
>
> Riders must wear a helmet certified according to international safety
> standards, intended solely for the purposes of protecting the head,
> without a visor, and without any devices or shapes added to or moulded
> into the helmet with the intention of or having the effect of reducing
> air resistance.
> Articles 1.3.026 and 1.3.033 will be strictly applied.

Can anyone explain why spoke count has a maximum? and
why is the maximum spoke count set at 32?

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:

> Can anyone explain why spoke count has a maximum? and
> why is the maximum spoke count set at 32?

Well, consider 5,000 spokes per side ..... can you also say "disc wheel" ?

Bill

In article <[email protected]>,
"William R. Mattil" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone explain why spoke count has a maximum? and
> > why is the maximum spoke count set at 32?
> >

> Well, consider 5,000 spokes per side ..... can you also say "disc wheel" ?

Would that be 5000 radila spokes or in a cross pattern. What would the cross be?

--

Howard Kveck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "William R. Mattil" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Michael Press wrote:
>>> Can anyone explain why spoke count has a maximum? and
>>> why is the maximum spoke count set at 32?
>>>

>> Well, consider 5,000 spokes per side ..... can you also say "disc wheel" ?

> Would that be 5000 radila spokes or in a cross pattern. What would the cross be?

5000 spokes * (4 gm/spoke) = 20 Kg

That's basically a flywheel...

Dave

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <45831975.3050903@y_a_h_o_o.c_o_m>,
> Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o.c_o_m> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > it'd be nice to see him do it on a team cervelo
> > >

> > The UCI rules on the hour. The Cervelo doesn't have round tubes:
> >
> > The Hour Record is the greatest distance achieved in one hour on a
> > traditional bicycle, as defined in artcles 1.3.006 to 1.3.010 and
> > 1.3.019 of the rules, and as further defined in the following
> > pecifications:
> > € Triangular frame composed of straight, circular section tubes with a
> > minimum diameter of 2.5 cm.
> > € Traditional style handlebars with an overall width of 50 cm maximum
> > and 34 cm minimum.
> > € Two wheels of equal diameter, measuring 65 to 70 cm, including tyres.
> > € Tyre section of a minimum of 16 mm and a maximum of 25 mm.
> > € Spoked wheels with a minimum of 16 and a maximum of 32 spokes; the
> > spokes may be round, flat or oval provided that none of their
> > cross-sections exceeds 2 mm.
> > € Shallow, unelongated, non-profiled rims; shallow rims are understood
> > to be rims whose cross-section fits inside a 2.2 cm square.
> > € Other measurements in accordance with those defined in articles
> > 1.3.012 to 1.3.017 (see figure ³Measurements²) and 1.3.022, 1.3.024 and
> > 1.3.025.
> > (1) The spokes may be round, flat or oval as long as the width of a
> > cross-section at any point is no broader than 2 mm in any direction.
> > (2) Shallow rims are understood to be rims whose cross-section fits
> > inside a 2.2 cm square.
> >
> > Riders must wear a helmet certified according to international safety
> > standards, intended solely for the purposes of protecting the head,
> > without a visor, and without any devices or shapes added to or moulded
> > into the helmet with the intention of or having the effect of reducing
> > air resistance.
> > Articles 1.3.026 and 1.3.033 will be strictly applied.

> Can anyone explain why spoke count has a maximum? and
> why is the maximum spoke count set at 32?

Preemptive strike.

No idea why it's 32 instead of 36, but I suspect that it's in case
someone figures out how to make a flat-bladed 48-spoke wheel behave as
an inferior imitation of a disc wheel. The rules are about normalizing
the bikes in as many ways as they can think of.

In article <[email protected]>, Nobody <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Howard Kveck wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> >> Well, consider 5,000 spokes per side ..... can you also say "disc wheel" ?

> > Would that be 5000 radila spokes or in a cross pattern. What would the
> > cross be?
> >

> 5000 spokes * (4 gm/spoke) = 20 Kg
>
> That's basically a flywheel...
>
> Dave

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2005/jul05/jul19news6

"In his attempt, Sosenka was using a 3.2 kg wheel and 190 mm cranks,
with his bike weighing a total of 9.8 kg."

Ondrej Sosenka: making a travesty of UCI regulations since 2006. He has
what it takes to LIVEDRUNK.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Nobody <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Howard Kveck wrote:

> > > Would that be 5000 radila spokes or in a cross pattern. What would the
> > > cross be?
> > >

> > 5000 spokes * (4 gm/spoke) = 20 Kg
> >
> > That's basically a flywheel...
> >
> > Dave

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2005/jul05/jul19news6
>
> "In his attempt, Sosenka was using a 3.2 kg wheel and 190 mm cranks,
> with his bike weighing a total of 9.8 kg."
>
> Ondrej Sosenka: making a travesty of UCI regulations since 2006. He has
> what it takes to LIVEDRUNK.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
> "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

Where the hell do you get 190mm cranks? I'd be up for a set for sure.