Zefal HPX under top tube?

res09c5t

Guest
Hi,
I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
would really do the job.

If I need to return it, any suggestions on an alternate pump? I've got a
big frame so need a pump that comes pretty long (somewhere around 23" if I
remember correctly).

Thanks!
Lyle

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job.
>
> If I need to return it, any suggestions on an alternate pump? I've got a
> big frame so need a pump that comes pretty long (somewhere around 23" if I
> remember correctly).

I've had an HPX under the TT of one bike, without straps, for 10 years.
It only fell out twice, after hitting really big bumps/holes. So it
certainly can be done.

res09c5t <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job.

You can use a pump peg on the top tube near the head tube joint.
Getting a suitable one might be difficult though, but I'd try asking a
shop that sold the pump.

I have a peg that I used with HPX but don't need anymore, so if you give
your address I'll mail it to you. Remove 'invalid' from my address and
replace 'if' with 'fi' to reply by e-mail.

-as

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job.
>
> If I need to return it, any suggestions on an alternate pump? I've got a
> big frame so need a pump that comes pretty long (somewhere around 23" if I
> remember correctly).
>
> Thanks!
> Lyle

there are four sizes, 1 to 4. IIRC 4 is the largest.

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

"res09c5t" wrote ...
> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something
> or are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've
> toyed with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if
> that would really do the job.
>
> If I need to return it, any suggestions on an alternate pump? I've got a
> big frame so need a pump that comes pretty long (somewhere around 23" if I
> remember correctly).
>
> Thanks!
> Lyle

3 of my bikes have pump pegs under the top tube, on the back side of the
head tube. There's a hole in the top of the Zefal HpX (and most frame pumps)
that fits perfectly into the peg. For the 4th bike, Zefal makes a plastic
pump peg that straps onto the top tube with a hose clamp like arrangement (a
prosthetic pump peg, if you will). I use the Velcro straps, too, for the
"belt and suspenders" look, but you need a pump peg.

Instead of returning the pump, get the plastic pump peg, it works quite well
and there aren't many frame pumps as good as the HpX.
--
mark

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube.

Add my name to the "Works for me" list.

> Am I missing something or
> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job.

Maybe you should give us more detail on your perceived problem.

Is your frame unconventional in any way? (I can imagine some frames
may have problems - for example, those with non-horizontal top tubes.)
Do you have a pump peg? Where does it want to come loose?

Be sure you have the right length of pump to match your frame. Be sure
you have some sort of pump peg, of course. And the velcro straps seem
helpful in some cases.

The Zefal HP is thought by many to be the best frame pump available.
If it were me, I'd find a way to make it work.

- Frank Krygowski

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:37:51 -0800, frkrygow wrote:

> res09c5t wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my
>> top tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the
>> top tube but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give
>> up. It doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube.

> Add my name to the "Works for me" list.
>
>> Am I missing something or
>> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've
>> toyed with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure
>> if that would really do the job.

> Maybe you should give us more detail on your perceived problem.
>
> Is your frame unconventional in any way? (I can imagine some frames may
> have problems - for example, those with non-horizontal top tubes.) Do you
> have a pump peg? Where does it want to come loose?
>
> Be sure you have the right length of pump to match your frame. Be sure
> you have some sort of pump peg, of course. And the velcro straps seem
> helpful in some cases.
>
> The Zefal HP is thought by many to be the best frame pump available. If it
> were me, I'd find a way to make it work.

They do work for most people, and you can use straps if you're afraid it's
not secure enough.

The frames that have trouble with this kind of pump are carbon and
aluminum ones with greatly oversized tubes, and rounded corners or
gussets, so there's nowhere for the pump to wedge into. Sloping top tubes
aren't a problem by themselves.

Personally I don't use a frame pump because I keep my bike on a stand
which supports it by the top tube, plus I like to lift/carry by
the top tube. So I use a mini-pump stowed on clips mounted on the
bottle cage bolts. It works fine but takes a few hundred strokes. I
don't care much if I'm riding on my own, and on group rides there's always
someone with a "real" pump ready to lend a hand. Fortunately I don't get
many flats. If I did, I'd have a different solution.

Some larger pumps will clip into mini-pump clips, which are actually
quite secure if you can find them the right size. I rode with an old
Silca on my MTB for many years, mounted in Zefal clips on the seatpost,
with one end of the pump resting on the BB shell. It never came out.

The top tube is best, though, because it's much cleaner up there.

Matt O.

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>res09c5t wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my
>> top tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the
>> top tube but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to
>> give up. It doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I
>> missing something or are there any suggestions for mounting it under
>> the top tube? I've toyed with one of those Velcro straps to help
>> secure it but am not sure if that would really do the job.

>Wrap a cable tie around the frame's head tube -- head of tie acts as a
>peg. Or use a clip-on peg if your top tube is too long for pump to reach
>that. Strap usually not required.
>
>~PB

Good call.

Alternatively, here's the $3.00 Zefal pump peg:
http://snipurl.com/l6sl
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my
> top tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the
> top tube but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to
> give up. It doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I
> missing something or are there any suggestions for mounting it under
> the top tube? I've toyed with one of those Velcro straps to help
> secure it but am not sure if that would really do the job.

Wrap a cable tie around the frame's head tube -- head of tie acts as a
peg. Or use a clip-on peg if your top tube is too long for pump to reach
that. Strap usually not required.

~PB

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:58:20 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>

>>Wrap a cable tie around the frame's head tube -- head of tie acts as a
>>peg. Or use a clip-on peg if your top tube is too long for pump to reach
>>that. Strap usually not required.
>>
>>~PB
>>

>Good call.
>
>Alternatively, here's the $3.00 Zefal pump peg:
>http://snipurl.com/l6sl

Or try to mount it between the end of the rear quickrelease and the
left seatstay/seattube junction. Or the left dropout and the left
seatstay/seattube junctino.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

res09c5t aka Lyle ? wrote:
> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job....

This item can be used to secure the frame pump and many other things to
the bicycle on either a temporary or permanent basis:
<http://www.uline.com/images/product/Medium/HD_3122_M.JPG>.

On 31 Dec 2005 13:47:41 -0800, "Someone" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>This item can be used to secure the frame pump and many other things to
>the bicycle on either a temporary or permanent basis:
><http://www.uline.com/images/product/Medium/HD_3122_M.JPG>.

Do you actually attach a pump to your own bike with tape?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

> > I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my
top tube. SNIPPED Am I missing something or are there any suggestions for
mounting it under the top tube? <<

Here is a great and inexpensive solution for securely carrying the Zefal on
the top tube...under or over it!:

http://tinyurl.com/aapca

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2005 13:47:41 -0800, "Someone" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >This item can be used to secure the frame pump and many other things to
> >the bicycle on either a temporary or permanent basis:
> ><http://www.uline.com/images/product/Medium/HD_3122_M.JPG>.

> Do you actually attach a pump to your own bike with tape?

I did use electrical tape as a temporary measure to hold the pump on my
ATB when one of the brackets cracked.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:49:12 -0500, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:37:51 -0800, frkrygow wrote:
>
>> The Zefal HP is thought by many to be the best frame pump available. If it
>> were me, I'd find a way to make it work.

Add me to the list that thinks so.

>Personally I don't use a frame pump because I keep my bike on a stand
>which supports it by the top tube, plus I like to lift/carry by
>the top tube.

I had this problem, as well, and ended up stowing mine between the
left chainstay/seatstay junction and the seat tube/seatstays junction.
Jam the end of the pump with the dimple between the three bike tubes,
and the notches on the other end secures the pump against the left
dropout.

Pat
Email address works as is.

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job.
>
> If I need to return it, any suggestions on an alternate pump? I've got a
> big frame so need a pump that comes pretty long (somewhere around 23" if I
> remember correctly).

Do you have a size 4??? They come in sizes, 1 thru 4.

> Thanks!
> Lyle

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:29:55 GMT, "res09c5t"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
>tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
>but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
>doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
>are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
>with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
>would really do the job.
>
>If I need to return it, any suggestions on an alternate pump? I've got a
>big frame so need a pump that comes pretty long (somewhere around 23" if I
>remember correctly).

You can get a Two Fish strap and mount the pump ok on toptube.

You can get a proper diameter clamp Zefal pump peg and mount it on
upper portion of seat tube. You put the head of the pump where the
seat stay and chain stay come together. The hole in the pump goes
into the pump peg. A velcro strap on the handle part secures the
pump.

You can get a Topeak frame pump and mount it in the same way as using
the Zefal pump peg but you don't need the peg. The pump comes with a
Velcro strap that holds the pump to the seat stay. I believe the
older design Blackburn frame pumps can be mounted this way too.

What's nice about a seat stay mount is that you don't need to be
looking at the pump all the time.

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:25:16 GMT, "mark" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Instead of returning the pump, get the plastic pump peg, it works quite well
>and there aren't many frame pumps as good as the HpX.
>--

A large zip tie can be put around the head tube. The head on the tie
faces the rear of bicycle. You clip off most or all of the pulling
piece of the tie and what's left is the pump peg.

In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest
Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Or try to mount it between the end of the rear quickrelease and the
> left seatstay/seattube junction. Or the left dropout and the left
> seatstay/seattube junctino.
>
> JT

Are you not concerned that the pump may become dislodged and interfere
with the rear wheel? This is what discourages me from mounting the pump
in that location.

Luke

res09c5t wrote:

> Hi,
> I just picked up a Zefal HPX pump, assuming I would mount it under my top
> tube. It appears to be configured for use between the BB and the top tube
> but I have a water bottle cage there that I would hate to give up. It
> doesn't seem to be very snug under the top tube. Am I missing something or
> are there any suggestions for mounting it under the top tube? I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job.
>
> If I need to return it, any suggestions on an alternate pump? I've got a
> big frame so need a pump that comes pretty long (somewhere around 23" if I
> remember correctly).

If you bought the HPX #3, exchange for the HPX #4.
If you bought it in the longest (#4) size, get Zefal's neat
nylon pump clip and mount that at the front of your top tube
so the pump fits securely.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org