Zefal HPX under top tube?

A Muzi wrote:

> If you bought the HPX #3, exchange for the HPX #4.
> If you bought it in the longest (#4) size, get Zefal's neat
> nylon pump clip and mount that at the front of your top tube
> so the pump fits securely.

I had a problem with the plastic clips I tried: The HPX's spring would
gradually push the clip along the tube. Not a problem when using a cable
tie around head tube instead (though this is no good for the longest of
top tubes where even a size 4 won't reach). So secure that the pump has
stayed on even when I've been thrown off and into hospital.

~PB

res09c5t wrote:

> I've toyed
> with one of those Velcro straps to help secure it but am not sure if that
> would really do the job.

The strap is belt/suspenders in combination with the pump peg. I always
use one since the time...
--D-y

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas. Several have asked
for more info and I've looked at it a little more. So, here goes:

Bike: Airborne Zeppelin (bare titanium finish), 61 or 62 cm. Bike has
brake cable fittings on the lower left side of the top tube. Frame doesn't
have a pump peg. I can't find an alternate location (like along a seat
stay ) that seems to work.

Pump: Zefal HPX ASV #4 (the longest one) and it is long enough.

Problem: The brake cable fittings prevent putting the pump directly under
the top tube- it needs to be pushed a little to the right. Also, the pump
head end has the two ridges (at about 90 degrees) that are the contact
points with the frame, one with each tube. They don't mesh up well at
either the head tube or the seat tube, particularly with the need to have it
a little off because of the brake fittings. These two issues (angle and
poor fit) seem to be the heart of the problem. The handle end of the pump
has a hole for a peg. Without a strap or additional pump peg, it just tends
to slide out of place. This could be a combination of the rubber on the pump
and the slick titanium. I've got a pump peg coming that could help a lot.
When I googled for information on the pump, one of the vendors talked about
how the pump head fits against the bb and it looks like the ridges would
work well there but I don't want to give up the bottle cage. They gave the
impression the pump is designed to go along the seat tube and not the top
tube, which is why I asked the original question.

Thoughts/questions:
1) I've got a strap on the head end and that seems to hold it pretty well.
With the addition of a peg, it could be really good.
2) Can I modify (drill, grind, etc/) a dimple in the head end which would
make it work with a peg.? Obviously, I wouldn't want to go too deep....
3) Any reactions or suggestions given this information? I agree with
several responders who have said "find a way" to use this pump. They are an
excellent pump and I'm frustrated with my mini-pump.

Thanks!
Lyle

"res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:

>2) Can I modify (drill, grind, etc/) a dimple in the head end which would
>make it work with a peg.? Obviously, I wouldn't want to go too deep....

Ah!

Perhaps Mark Hickey can speak to this with more authority, but *I*
wouldn't play with *my* Ti frame that way. If you care about it
enough, you could take/send the frame to a Ti frame builder who could,
undoubtedly, braze/weld/? a pump peg on the inner portion of the head
tube, just below the top tube, for you.

I have them on my Ti frames and they work *perfectly* for my CF
Blackburn pump. Despite some pretty profound bumps, the pump never
leaves me....

Good luck!
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

I think I wasn't clear. I wasn't planning on modifying the frame, I was
talking about the pump. I never fail to be amazed at how unclear I can be
even when I think I am being careful. Another senior moment....

"Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>2) Can I modify (drill, grind, etc/) a dimple in the head end which would
>>make it work with a peg.? Obviously, I wouldn't want to go too deep....

> Ah!
>
> Perhaps Mark Hickey can speak to this with more authority, but *I*
> wouldn't play with *my* Ti frame that way. If you care about it
> enough, you could take/send the frame to a Ti frame builder who could,
> undoubtedly, braze/weld/? a pump peg on the inner portion of the head
> tube, just below the top tube, for you.
>
> I have them on my Ti frames and they work *perfectly* for my CF
> Blackburn pump. Despite some pretty profound bumps, the pump never
> leaves me....
>
> Good luck!
> --
> Live simply so that others may simply live

I think I wasn't clear, I was talking about modifying the pump and not the
bike. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks!
Lyle

"Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>2) Can I modify (drill, grind, etc/) a dimple in the head end which would
>>make it work with a peg.? Obviously, I wouldn't want to go too deep....

> Ah!
>
> Perhaps Mark Hickey can speak to this with more authority, but *I*
> wouldn't play with *my* Ti frame that way. If you care about it
> enough, you could take/send the frame to a Ti frame builder who could,
> undoubtedly, braze/weld/? a pump peg on the inner portion of the head
> tube, just below the top tube, for you.
>
> I have them on my Ti frames and they work *perfectly* for my CF
> Blackburn pump. Despite some pretty profound bumps, the pump never
> leaves me....
>
> Good luck!
> --
> Live simply so that others may simply live

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:42:53 GMT, "res09c5t"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>3) Any reactions or suggestions given this information? I agree with
>several responders who have said "find a way" to use this pump.
>excellent pump and I'm frustrated with my mini-pump.

I'm not sure about that particular pump, but you can make a full-size
pump work by putting it along the left seatstay. It might take a
different size version to the same pump to fit. The only downside to
this is that water sprayed up from the road will tend to shorten the
life of the pump -- it might only last a year or so if you ride on wet
roads a lot.

JT.

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:02:28 -0500, Luke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest
>Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Or try to mount it between the end of the rear quickrelease and the
>> left seatstay/seattube junction. Or the left dropout and the left
>> seatstay/seattube junctino.

>Are you not concerned that the pump may become dislodged and interfere
>with the rear wheel? This is what discourages me from mounting the pump
>in that location.

I've been doing it for years on a couple different bikes with no
problem -- you can just try it and see if the pump can easily be
knocked free but hitting the pump. If you can't know it off easily
w/o compressing it, then there will be no problems.

Actually I almost had a problem with one bike -- the upper part of
the pump got awfully close to the tire. And it's possible that for
some people if they have the lower head of the pump resting on the end
of the quickrelease, their foot might hit it.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

"res09c5t" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think I wasn't clear, I was talking about modifying the pump and not the
>bike. Sorry for the confusion.
>Thanks!
>Lyle

In the immortal words of Gilda Radner, "Oh. That's very different.
Never mind."

--

res09c5t wrote:

> Problem: The brake cable fittings prevent putting the pump directly under
> the top tube- it needs to be pushed a little to the right. Also, the pump
> head end has the two ridges (at about 90 degrees) that are the contact
> points with the frame, one with each tube. They don't mesh up well at
> either the head tube or the seat tube, particularly with the need to have it
> a little off because of the brake fittings. These two issues (angle and
> poor fit) seem to be the heart of the problem. The handle end of the pump
> has a hole for a peg. Without a strap or additional pump peg, it just tends
> to slide out of place. This could be a combination of the rubber on the pump
> and the slick titanium. I've got a pump peg coming that could help a lot.

I think that's going to be the key.

I've got the same pump mounted under the top tube of a Cannondale, but
that bike has its brake cable on top, not underneath. My old Raleigh
has the cable at 7:00 under the top tube, and I'm using an old Zefal HP
pump there with no problems.

If your pump peg sits low enough, the handle end will probably clear
the cable. At the head end, you may be able to apply some sort of
thick shim to the underside of the top tube for similar clearance.

With that old Zefal HP, the plastic "half moon" pieces that sit against
the tubes at the head end eventually wore out - twice. (Hey, it's over
20 years old!) I got replacements once, but then came a time when I
couldn't find replacements quickly, so I (tediously) made some out of
scrap plastic. I made them wider and deeper so they grabbed the frame
tube more positively. I suppose you could do something similar - if
you like working with scrap plastic and Dremel tools.

- Frank Krygowski

wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest
>Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Or try to mount it between the end of the rear quickrelease and the
>> left seatstay/seattube junction. Or the left dropout and the left
>> seatstay/seattube junctino.

>Are you not concerned that the pump may become dislodged and interfere
>with the rear wheel? This is what discourages me from mounting the pump
>in that location.

Concerned, yeah, but it hasn't happened yet. Hit a really rough
stretch of road at high speed last week, thought I was going to shake
off a dental crown or two before I could slow down, but the pump
stayed put.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Pete Biggs wrote:
> I had a problem with the plastic clips I tried: The HPX's spring would
> gradually push the clip along the tube. Not a problem when using a cable
> tie around head tube instead (though this is no good for the longest of
> top tubes where even a size 4 won't reach). So secure that the pump has
> stayed on even when I've been thrown off and into hospital.

I agree about most plastic clips.
Zefal's nylon model has a clever worm gear fastener that
looks nice, stays put, doesn't scratch.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:08:57 -0600, Patrick Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:02:28 -0500, Luke <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>>In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest
>>Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Or try to mount it between the end of the rear quickrelease and the
>>> left seatstay/seattube junction. Or the left dropout and the left
>>> seatstay/seattube junctino.

>>Are you not concerned that the pump may become dislodged and interfere
>>with the rear wheel? This is what discourages me from mounting the pump
>>in that location.

>Concerned, yeah, but it hasn't happened yet. Hit a really rough
>stretch of road at high speed last week, thought I was going to shake
>off a dental crown or two before I could slow down, but the pump
>stayed put.

Ikea sells fasteners consisting of mating strips of velcro melted
together, which allow you to easily make a loop to tie something together.
Those would be ideal for holding on pumps, as a belt-and-suspenders kind
of thing. Not so hot if you need it to whack a dog, though.

Jasper

I keep my HPX pumps in the rear triangle for both road and MTB. On the
road bike, I have clearance to run it along the seat tube, from the bb
shell/left chainstay/seat tube junction up to the seat stays/seat tube
junction -- but this is on a Ritchey Road Logic, which has a lot more
clearance than more trendy/"modern" designs.

On the MTBs (old Bridgestone MB-3 and old steel Stumpjumper), the big
tires interfere with this setup, so I jam it in parallel to the left
seat stay instead.

No straps. I dropped a pump descending Porcupine Rim in Moab one time,
after jumping off a 2-foot ledge accidentally nailing a rock. I just
rode back and got it. No harm, no foul.

The pump stayed on through 24 Hours of Moab too.

-Mike