Zefal Husky pump doesn't pump

Timothy J. Lee

Guest
I have an old Zefal Husky floor pump (single action, metal barrel).
Unfortunately, it doesn't pump. Pushing the handle down after pulling
it up meets with no resistance, and no air goes into the tire being
pumped. Any reasonably simple way to fix it? If not, what would be
a good floor pump to replace it (must be both presta and shrader
valve capable)?

Timothy J. Lee

Timothy J. Lee wrote:

> I have an old Zefal Husky floor pump (single action, metal barrel).
> Unfortunately, it doesn't pump. Pushing the handle down after pulling
> it up meets with no resistance, and no air goes into the tire being
> pumped. Any reasonably simple way to fix it? If not, what would be
> a good floor pump to replace it (must be both presta and shrader
> valve capable)?

It probably just needs a new plunger. This was a very popular pump, so the
parts should be available through your LBS. If not, there's probably a generic
part that will work perfectly.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole writes:

>> I have an old Zefal Husky floor pump (single action, metal barrel).
>> Unfortunately, it doesn't pump. Pushing the handle down after
>> pulling it up meets with no resistance, and no air goes into the
>> tire being pumped. Any reasonably simple way to fix it? If not,
>> what would be a good floor pump to replace it (must be both Presta
>> and Schrader valve capable)?

> It probably just needs a new plunger. This was a very popular pump,
> so the parts should be available through your LBS. If not, there's
> probably a generic part that will work perfectly.

This part is often referred to as the piston cup (at the end of the
piston rod), formerly made of leather. If this is a leather one and
it isn't split, a dash of oil and a little finger massage will
probably make it work again. The ones I have, have withstood many
years of heavy use.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]