Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by chris, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept water the
    coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Yes. The JSB-500/700 featured on Steve Scharf's BikeCoffee web site. It is
    a SS vacuum bottle in 'bottle cage' format. I have purchased every one that
    I can get for prices ranging $20 to $5 - they make great gifts for cyclists.

    "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept water
    the
    | coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:42:13 GMT, "chris"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept water the
    >coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

    Zefal Magnum 32oz bottle with half of it's contents pre-frozen. You
    must freeze the stuff in the bottle, as a solid block, rather than
    stuffing ice cubes into it. Wrap in aluminum foil to make last
    longer.

    Wow, my ideas sound good, I should try them.

    Your Isotherm could benefit from having half it's contents
    pre-frozen as a single solid bottle-shaped block also.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:42:13 GMT, "chris"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept
    >> water the coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

    > Zefal Magnum 32oz bottle with half of it's contents pre-frozen. You
    > must freeze the stuff in the bottle, as a solid block, rather than
    > stuffing ice cubes into it. Wrap in aluminum foil to make last
    > longer.
    >
    > Wow, my ideas sound good, I should try them.
    >
    > Your Isotherm could benefit from having half it's contents
    > pre-frozen as a single solid bottle-shaped block also.

    Yup, this is good advice. I take mine, fill them 1/2 way or so, and then
    lean them up against the wall of the freezer like at 45 deg. or so. When
    I'm ready to go, I take them out, fill them with pre-chilled water from the
    fridge, and they last a good long time. Not as long as my camelbak, but I
    don't like wearing one on my road bike.

    Zefal Magnum's rock.

    Regards,
    H.

  5. HardwareLust wrote:
    > Rick Onanian wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:42:13 GMT, "chris"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I tried the polar bottles and others and so far the Isotherm kept
    >>>water the coldest. Is there another one that is bettter?

    >>Zefal Magnum 32oz bottle with half of it's contents pre-frozen. You
    >>must freeze the stuff in the bottle, as a solid block, rather than
    >>stuffing ice cubes into it. Wrap in aluminum foil to make last
    >>longer.
    >>
    >>Wow, my ideas sound good, I should try them.
    >>
    >>Your Isotherm could benefit from having half it's contents
    >>pre-frozen as a single solid bottle-shaped block also.

    > Yup, this is good advice. I take mine, fill them 1/2 way or so, and then
    > lean them up against the wall of the freezer like at 45 deg. or so. When
    > I'm ready to go, I take them out, fill them with pre-chilled water from the
    > fridge, and they last a good long time. Not as long as my camelbak, but I
    > don't like wearing one on my road bike.
    >
    > Zefal Magnum's rock.
    >
    > Regards,
    > H.

    May I ask -- why so cold? Is this a personal preference, or is this a
    body heat issue? Reason I'm de-lurking to ask -- if my water is cold, I
    don't drink enough of it. I will actually become nauseated if I do
    drink enough of it. So I don't chill my water; ambient temp is fine for me.

    --
    the black rose
    GO LANCE GO!!!

  6. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:11:30 GMT, the black rose
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >May I ask -- why so cold? Is this a personal preference, or is this a
    >body heat issue? Reason I'm de-lurking to ask -- if my water is cold, I
    >don't drink enough of it. I will actually become nauseated if I do
    >drink enough of it. So I don't chill my water; ambient temp is fine for me.

    That's twice you've de-lurked, and you've been nice about it; why
    bother re-lurking? :)

    Anyway, it may be a personal preference thing. Cold water sinks some
    of the excess heat from my body; it feels good and refreshing; and I
    love the feel of it going down my throat and into my stomach.
    Mostly, though, the heat thing. Plus, around here in warm weather,
    ambient temperature is often warmer than urine.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    the black rose wrote:

    > May I ask -- why so cold? Is this a personal preference, or is this a
    > body heat issue? Reason I'm de-lurking to ask -- if my water is
    > cold, I don't drink enough of it. I will actually become nauseated
    > if I do
    > drink enough of it. So I don't chill my water; ambient temp is fine
    > for me.

    I suppose it's personal preference. I'll drink a lot more water if it's
    cold water, especially in the summer. Of course, riding in the fall/winter,
    I won't do all of this, just the prechilled water from the fridge. The ice
    is only for use in the Spring/Summer when it gets warm outside. The colder
    the water is it is at the start of a ride, the longer it will last. Without
    the ice and stuff, a regular bottle will be almost air temp by the time the
    first bottle is dry, and today it would be close to 80 degrees. Yuck! I
    don't have any scientific proof or anything, but it seems to me that cool or
    cold water works better than warm water.

    To me, nothing is worse than drinking tepid water on a ride!

    IMHO, of course.

    Regards,
    H.

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> writes:

    > To me, nothing is worse than drinking tepid water on a ride!

    I think the worst thing about warmed-up water isn't so much
    the temperature, as much as the way it takes on the plastic-y
    taste of the bottle.

    cheers,
    Tom