zefal2 reversible pump, instructions?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ron Hardin, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I got a zefal2 reversible pump that I can't figure out.

    It has a valve attachment coming off the side of the end, and a pic
    showing how to change it apparently from schraeder to pesta (though
    the pic seems to have it coming out the end not the side), but fine...

    But there's no way to lock the valve attachment to the tire's valve
    except by holding it under constant pressure, which strikes me as
    unlikely to be the intended thing (since it pushes the valve into
    the rim, so you'd have to hold the valve stem, the pump end, and
    the pump handle to pump, total 3 hands.

    Am I missing a piece (but if so, I don't see how it would attach to
    the pump), or a hand?

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  2. andy gee

    andy gee Guest

    Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in news:43A96AEE.4F94
    @mindspring.com:

    > I got a zefal2 reversible pump that I can't figure out.
    >
    > It has a valve attachment coming off the side of the end, and a pic
    > showing how to change it apparently from schraeder to pesta (though
    > the pic seems to have it coming out the end not the side), but fine...
    >
    > But there's no way to lock the valve attachment to the tire's valve
    > except by holding it under constant pressure, which strikes me as
    > unlikely to be the intended thing (since it pushes the valve into
    > the rim, so you'd have to hold the valve stem, the pump end, and
    > the pump handle to pump, total 3 hands.
    >
    > Am I missing a piece (but if so, I don't see how it would attach to
    > the pump), or a hand?

    I have this pump, it's fabulous! I can get 110 lbs out of that little
    tiny thing.

    To switch, you unscrew the part that attaches to the valve, then tap it
    until the thing inside falls out, then put it back in the other way, and
    rescrew.

    To clamp it to the valve, put it on the valve with the lever CLOSED and
    then OPEN it after it's on all the way.

    I had the bike shop guy walk me through it a few times when I bought it.
    If it doesn't work for one of the settings, get a valve adapter and see
    if it works.

    A guy with a pump and a patch kit in New York during the strike could
    get more trim than the Nelson's Fleet.

    Good luck!

    --ag

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    andy gee wrote:
    > I have this pump, it's fabulous! I can get 110 lbs out of that little
    > tiny thing.
    >
    > To switch, you unscrew the part that attaches to the valve, then tap it
    > until the thing inside falls out, then put it back in the other way, and
    > rescrew.
    >
    > To clamp it to the valve, put it on the valve with the lever CLOSED and
    > then OPEN it after it's on all the way.
    >
    > I had the bike shop guy walk me through it a few times when I bought it.
    > If it doesn't work for one of the settings, get a valve adapter and see
    > if it works.
    >
    > A guy with a pump and a patch kit in New York during the strike could
    > get more trim than the Nelson's Fleet.
    >
    > Good luck!

    No lever that I can see on it. That's the trouble. Just the hole that you
    press onto the valve stem.

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  4. andy gee

    andy gee Guest

    Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > No lever that I can see on it. That's the trouble. Just the hole
    > that you press onto the valve stem.

    The pump in question is with my bike on Long Island right now, so I can't
    take a look at it. But I'm sure there is a latch that opens and closes to
    secure the nozzle. Can you call the LBS and ask them?

    --ag

  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    andy gee wrote:

    > Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > No lever that I can see on it. That's the trouble. Just the hole
    > > that you press onto the valve stem.
    > >

    > The pump in question is with my bike on Long Island right now, so I can't
    > take a look at it. But I'm sure there is a latch that opens and closes to
    > secure the nozzle. Can you call the LBS and ask them?
    >
    > --ag

    The Nashbar online chat consultant said, hmm, it doesn't seem like the best design.

    So apparently I'm not just missing a part.

    Maybe Nashbar bought a truckload of defective ones. They're only $5.99

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  6. andy gee

    andy gee Guest

    Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The Nashbar online chat consultant said, hmm, it doesn't seem like the
    > best design.
    >
    > So apparently I'm not just missing a part.
    >
    > Maybe Nashbar bought a truckload of defective ones. They're only
    > $5.99

    I took a look at the zefal website (www.zefal.com) and I see what you mean.
    Most of the minis have the locking clip and one has a little bitty screw-in
    hose. But some of them look like they have neither. No manuals for your
    unit on the page, of course. Does anything screw or tighten or anything,
    on the valve or on the barrel?

    --ag