Zeppelin vs. The Stones

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by ryan_velo., Feb 23, 2006.

1. ryan_velo.

ryan_velo. New Member

I love both bands, but I think I like zep.

Tags:

2. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

i have to got for Zeppelin...i am an old headbanger..

3. 6002

6002 New Member

Mick for me,

Seen him live 3 times now, and he still keeps getting better. :)

But Zepplin is good as well.

4. lwedge

lwedge New Member

I voted for the Stones just to rile MP.:D

Both are about the same to me as far as listen-ability. Interesting, your two choices are like Apples and Oranges... Paganini and Mozart. Their music styles are so different, it's hard to compare head to head.

http://live.cyclingnews.com/?id=latest

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I'm not a fan of either band - the Stones were always charlatans and Led Zeppelin tried to cotton on to the R&B revival started by the likes Clapton, Bruce&Baker, The Who etc.

If I was forced to make a choice - it would be LZ : simply because their individual musical ability was superb (Page is at least as good a guitarist as Clapton, Peter Green of FleetwoodMac fame etc)
    John Paul Jones was an extraordinary musical talent who played on many other groups earlier recordings because some actual band members couldn't play their instruments.

Mick Jagger - the London School of Economics ain't exactly home of the delta blues.
    And as for Keith Richard.......

Don't get me started.

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Did you buy Live 8 yet - to get to see the Floyd play at Hyde Park ?

7. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I've survived 17 Rolling Stones concerts myself...... It's hard to compare the 2 bands.
    Interesting news just recently ...... It was concerning the concert at the Altamont Speedway in which the Rolling Stones hired the Hells Angels to provide security. At that concert a black man was stabbed to death by a member of the Hells Angels. There was a outrage at the time. Racism allegations were being tossed around. But later footage showed that the black man charged the stage and was pointing a handgun at the Rolling Stones when the Hells Angels jumped off the stage and stabbed him. This concert was considered the "end of the 60's." Most everyone later pointed the finger at Mick Jagger for being the catalyst for the violence. His ego allowed the band to wait to go on stage until the crowd became violent.
    And here was Mick always trying to be the bad boy of rock and roll .... He had just finished the song "Sympathy for the Devil" when the killing started. But when the devil showed up to play, Mick turned and ran.....
    But the part I remember was how Mick Jagger became scared and started talking telling all kinds of untruths about how it went down. Later , at the trial it was shown that everything Mick Jagger said was a lie.
    Great rock and roll musicians are great to listen to..... They serve a place in society. But to look upon them as men who are so "aware" of what is around them is wrong. Rarely are they men of sound character.

8. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

Must I? I must.....Jim Morrison and the Doors, sorry.

:D

9. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

grrrrrr...:mad:

i chose zeppelin because they influenced the bands i listend to in my formative years, such as Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Medageth etc...

i am not a huge fan of rock n roll bands like the stones in general but i do occasionally listen to them, for me personally zeppelin were a more important band and pushed musical boundaries further that the usual 3 chord belter from keith richards which has already been done by a lot of rockers in the 50s like little richard, jerry lee lewis etc...just my opinion...not nessicarily right or wrong.

10. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

I saw the stones once; Sticky Finger Tour around 70 or so.

Most memorable concert was the mid eighties Blue Oyster Cult. The music causes brain toast and the laser show was extremely wel done.!!!!!

Long live R&R...whatever it morphs into.

I like Fairport Convention a lot. Stuff surrounding Sandy Denny is heartbreaking.

English Invasion bands such as DC5, Beau Brummels, Troggs, Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Small Faces, and later, Black Sabbath, Mott the Hoople, T Rex, along with the greats: Moody Blues, Cream and Clapton, and Fleetwood Mac. the realization by the English audience that Hendrix was the guitar master that he was, Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, Yardbirds, ......goes on and on.

All these bands and too many more to mention made the music of the fifties, sixties, seventies and further on, part of the amalgam of music that made those days produce some of the finest bands that rock has ever heard.

Let's not forget "Friday on my Mind", Flash & the Pan, Men At Work, for the Aussies.
    "My brother's back at home with his Beatles and his Stones.....never got it off on that revolution stuff, what a drag..." Ian Hunter..

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Was fortunate enough to see Pink Floyd at Earls Court in 1981 - if memory serves me.

Memorable shows ? Springsteen at Slane in 1985 was superb.
    Simple Minds/U2 Phoenix Park 1983 was memorable.
    U2 Landsdowne Road during the late 1980's.

As I got older I started developing an interest in blues - Paul Jones and the Bluesband in the Olympia in Dublin were good.
    Peter Green (of FlletwoodMac) was excellent with his band.

David Bowie at the Point last November was superb.
    McCartney at the RDS (first and only time I got to see a Beatle play) was great.
    Tina Turner in concert 10 years ago was good too.

Dylan in Slane in 1984 was the poorest concert I was at.
    Van Morrison at the Point in 1984 was amazing.

Other memorable shows : Big Country (Scotland), Neil Diamond (I kid you not),
    Chris Rea, Ray Davies (solo), Billy Joel, Human league, Ultravox (Midge Ure).

12. ryan_velo.

ryan_velo. New Member

I couldn’t agree w/ you more. The Doors are my favorite band, but Dylan is my absolute favorite. I have every album. Morrison was a bloody feking genius; he never ceases to amaze me. I have all the Zeppelin albums. I am a huge fan of Page. BTW I never got to pick up that dvd, I looked for it at the mall and they didn’t have it. But I intend to. I was wondering if you’ve ever seen Pink Floyd, Live At Pompeii? It’s great:)

13. Bentriderlon

Bentriderlon New Member

Interestingly, Zep is the natural heir of The Yardbirds. There were a long list of Brit rockers who made their way through the Yardbirds. The list includes Eric Clapton who was forced out because he was thought to be "too blusey." The Yardbirds wanted more of a pop sound and Clapton was gone before the release of "For Your Love."

Jeff Beck was also lead with the Yardbirds at one time, and he was replaced by Jimmy Page....

Cheers

Charles

14. Bentriderlon

Bentriderlon New Member

Van Morrison is the coolest dude on the planet!

Charles

15. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Jimmy Page is a genius.... Try to play some of the cords to Black Dog or Stair Way to Heaven (ouch). The only guitarist that used cords like that at the time was John McLaughlin. The two guitarist that most impressed Eric where, Jimmy Page and Stevie Ray Von.

Peter Green - I rarely hear Albatross these days but the tune will come in to my head now and again. Few people know that Peter Green wrote the lyrics and music to Black Magic Woman (I know Carlo$ $antana doe$ very well).

Lw

16. lwedge

lwedge New Member

'Into the Mystic', still one of my favorite songs.

17. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

So many records and CD's later, he is still a magic man........Ivan Morrison is the man...saw him very early in his career, very early, with Savoy Brown and the "new up north" Allman Brothers..."down to the whipping post alright"...

:eek:

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Those people who know all rate Page : Bentriderlon refers to Jeff Beck, Beck is highly rated too.
    Steve Ray Von, of course.

Here's another from Stateside : Ry Cooder : fabulous guitarist I think.
    Of course Carlos Santana and Jimi Hendrix (RIP) too.

Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd is pretty good too.

19. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I went to a Dylan concert last summer. He followed Willie Nelson that night. He lost half the crowd, me included. Earlier someone mentioned Neil Diamond. There is something about that man that women love......... But "Moondance" by VanMorrison is one of the best There is so many great ones..... Want a real frustrating project?????? Try and list your top 25 favorite tunes..... Keep this list over a year, and then at the end of the year you will still be second guessing yourself as old ones come back to your memory......

20. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

Yeah,the Doors were the one and only band of the period.Great song writers (( I defy anyone to listen to "The End",and not be chilled,)good enough musicians,and morrison was a total looney.Nothing since morrison choked on his own vomit compares.What are page and jagger going to choke on...their bank statements?Wankers who should have died long ago.
    If you don't kill yourself making the music,then it's crap,because R&R is pure capitalism and that's how it works.

Steve,geriatric punk who should have died long ago,but who remains alive out of a deep vein of personal spite,which sustains him.
    :eek: :D :D :D