Zeppelin vs. The Stones

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by ryan_velo., Feb 23, 2006.

1. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Yep, I have the Floyd Pompeii vid, it's pretty :cool:. I couldn't pick between Zeppelin and the Stones, so I didn't vote.

I saw the Stones once in Syracuse, NY a few years ago on the Bridges to Babylon tour. I'd say it was vintage Stones, they all pulled together well that night and the sound and props/visuals were quite decent.

Never got the chance to catch Zeppelin live, but I did see JPJ with his band in Boston-Dec. 2001, when he opened for King Crimson. Imagine that...a Zep opening for ANY other band. It's downright disrespectful!

Other shows I've been to: Allman's, Yes in '77, '91, and a couple years ago, Santana 9 or 10 times, Def Leppard, Ray Charles, B.B. King, Neil Young, Pretenders, Buddy Guy, Spyro Gyra, Dylan twice, Elvin Bishop, Jefferson Starship (got Paul Kantner's autograph and a copy of that show from him that was burned "live" - right from the mixing board that night), Gov't Mule (about 2 months before Allen Woody died), etc., etc., etc.

Also partied some with Leon Wilkeson (Skynyrd's bassist) in Nashville, the weekend of June 4th, 1977 - at an all-weekend gig there on Percy Priest Reservoir. During a long break, I actually got to play a few notes on his Gibson Thunderbird through the PA stack...and holy shit, I almost got blown off the stage from the air pressure! :) That one rated a "w00t!" for sure, but was just 4 1/2 months before the Skynyrd plane crash.

Leon died July 27, 2001. R.I.P., man!!

2. lyotard

lyotard New Member

wurm, was neil young partying with you 'n mr. wilkenson? it was more likely jack daniels that night i'd bet...

early listening to the stones and led zep were crucial to my formative years.

as for stones, the "high tides and green grass" album stands out, there were more, but

as for zep, only led zep 1 held sway for me. still i cannot bring myself to vote...

reminds me of eddie vedder, upon accepting the grammy for pearl jam, commenting "i don't think this means anything, it is just art, and art can't be judged like a contest really"

saw allman bros at cow palace 70's
    buddy guy for the "sweet tea" tour, he autographed my cd copy of
    "chicago boss guitars"
    no starship but hot tuna w/kantner, creach & slick, san francisco
    svt w/ jack cassady, san jose
    no skynard but rossington collins
    the who, original, san francisco
    jethro tull, oakland, war child tour

other notables
    james "blood" ulmer with jamaladeen tacuma, santa cruz '89
    van morrison, san francisco and berkeley
    gil scott heron, san francisco
    gospel hummingbirds, s. f.
    the process, san jose
    jerry garcia, palo alto
    frank zappa, "you are what you is" tour, santa cruz
    mose allison, berkely and burlingame
    dan hicks, san francisco
    barry melton, s.f.
    david bromberg, santa cruz & s. f.
    tower of power, s.f.
    new riders of the purple sage, palo alto
    dinosaurs w/ robert hunter, palo alto
    spirit w/randy california, palo alto
    canned heat, palo alto
    weir/wasserman, s.f.
    cheap trick, palo alto
    king crimson, berkeley
    vital parts w/jorma kaukonen & the stench bro.s, berkeley
    john lee hooker, palo alto
    camper van beethoven, palo alto & s.f.
    spot 1019, san jose
    john mclaughlin, oakland
    slash's snake pit, san jose
    rat salad, sunnyvale
    jorge santana & friends, cupertino
    mojo nixon & skid roper, san francisco
    non fiction, s.f.
    quasi-art, berkeley
    buck naked and the barebottom boys, s.f.
    isle of skye, santa cruz
    twelve fingers wally, palo alto

hardcore:
    agent orange
    slovenly
    blast, san jose
    surf punks
    su 2000
    suicidal tendencies
    whipping boy
    black flag, palo alto
    mentors, san francisco

reggae:
    leroy sibbles
    don carlos & gold
    carlton livignston, palo alto
    mabrak, stanford

i suspect there are more, but things are sorta hazy to the best of my recollection, iff'n ya know what i mean...

3. El Loto

El Loto New Member

Is Keef not dead yet? No wait I did see him in Glasgow. Anybody going to see the Stones at Hampden this Summer?

4. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

s,
    as for me i believe there is room for conjecture here, regarding capitalism and music.

for instance, when the stones started out, they played what they damn well could and it was in vogue so it sold. they moved with the times early on and played to the trends with such as her satanic majesty's, not the best effort as it pandered to the market, then again, when they returned to playing what they were capable of such as love you live, their limitations, and perhaps their appeal in a critical listening sense, were obvious.

so by way of playing to the market their sound was actually bettered. witness
    some girls, a big production effort, as far away from the stripped down basics of the get offa my cloud type pop efforts and you can hear what i mean.

when a band plays art for art sake, even then it is not always non commercial, as even this has it's niche market, as an example just look at the crash and burn of the fusion and prog rock, when the bands pandered to the excesses expected by the public...and almost invariably put out stuff that doesn't hold up so well.

philosophicaly, i seem to have developed a taste for what is behind the music, the divine inspiration, if you will. problem is, the lot of the music that gets overplayed can be counted on to risk examples falling into this category, how many times have we heard stairway to heaven, for example? great song, if you ever do recover from oversaturation...

i could go on, but what do you think?

5. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

you refer to keef hartley, perhaps?

i finally got around to listening. cd i got is "not foolish not wise" and it hits like a ton o' bricks.

power, creativity, majestic, and a rockin' good time as well.

keef mentions marin county in song, not too far north from here in california.

6. ryan_velo.

ryan_velo. New Member

Zeppelin did what ever the fuck they wanted to, they followed no trends, they set them. They were the cutting edge b/c they were so fucking good. I'm a huge zeppelin fan, I have every album.

7. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

Got yer rocks mixed up......Hendrix died choking on his vomit and Jim died of either 1) drug induced heart attack, 2) heart attack 3) sniffing heroin, thinking it was cocaine and having a heart attack. No vomiting, just a bit of bleeding from the nose. Janis died from heroin that was too too strong. Brian's death was "probably" murder. Depends on how you feel about deathbed confessions, i.e., the groundskeeper.

Keep on rockin'

8. Wurm

Wurm New Member

No, Neil Young was not partying with us that night, because he wasn't there. Did I say he was? No.

You can take what I said with however many grains of salt you wish, but what I related is fact. Jack Daniels has nothing to do with that.

You could at least make the effort to spell the man's name correctly. (Wilkeson, not Wilkenson)

9. lyotard

lyotard New Member

the neil young reference was an attempt at an "inside" joke, as the lyrics from the Skynard classic "sweet home alabama" mention neil young, but not fondly...and jack daniels is the cliche 70's rocker bevie, straight outta the bottle.
    sorry if it seemed i meant to imply you were not indeed there.

as for the mis-spelling, my bad, i did look it up later and read up on his life and times.

cheers for now then.

10. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Well, I guess I should have picked up on it - the "S.H.A." response to Neil's "Southern Man". :eek: Sorry for being so jumpy.

11. lyotard

lyotard New Member

a friend of mine painted this humorous scenario,
    neil walks in backstage at the skynard show, gibson in hand, and tells them boys "hi guys, i'm ready to play..."

lotsa water under the bridge since those songs, it would probably be cool.

i remember hearing the song "wino" offa "first and last. hits like a ton o' bricks, it does.

12. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Yeah, "Wino" was a good un. :) Other faves of mine were "The Ballad Of Curtis Lowe", "Working For MCA", "Needle And The Spoon", and "Poison Whiskey". They had so many great rawkers.