Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Andrew Priest, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. G'day

    I picked up Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance from the
    library this week for a look see and was wondering what (a) folks
    think of either book and (b) assuming worth getting, which one would
    be best given I have a dreaded flatbar Smile and a MTB or should I get
    both?

    From what I have seen they look well illustrated and easy to follow.

    Thoughts?

    Regards
    Andrew
    -----
    Churchlands, Western Australia
    Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
    http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

    Tags:

  2. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hey Andrew,
    I'm a big fan of my Zinn Roadie book. It's covers (almost) everything
    I ever need to do with clear and simple instructions, and is generally
    illustrated well. Which book is best for your flat bar might depend on
    the components and which book covers them best. Is it a road bike with
    flat bars on it, or is it more a MTB with skinny wheels?

  3. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    My bike repair library has both Zinns and the Park Tools blue book. I use all three as references when doing stuff on bikes. I also have a Haynes manual but it is nowhere as good as the others.

    If I could get a cheap copy, I would have the Barnett manual (in its 4 volumes).

    SteveA

  4. On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 03:48:57 -0700, Simon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hey Andrew,
    >I'm a big fan of my Zinn Roadie book. It's covers (almost) everything
    >I ever need to do with clear and simple instructions, and is generally
    >illustrated well. Which book is best for your flat bar might depend on
    >the components and which book covers them best. Is it a road bike with
    >flat bars on it, or is it more a MTB with skinny wheels?

    Hi

    Thanks for your comments. It is a Giant CRX 1 which has Shimano 105
    running gear but I guess more MTB in terms of shifters etc. My
    thinking is for the level of maintenance I will do to go with the
    Mountain bike book.

    Regards
    Andrew
    -----
    Churchlands, Western Australia
    Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
    http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

  5. On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:27:33 +1000, SteveA
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My bike repair library has both Zinns and the Park Tools blue book. I
    >use all three as references when doing stuff on bikes. I also have a
    >Haynes manual but it is nowhere as good as the others.

    Sadly my library is not so good on this. I can get the Zinns book but
    have to request it.

    I will be in Singapore in a week or so, so will see what I can pick
    up. Singapore is generally really good on book prices.

    Andrew
    -----
    Churchlands, Western Australia
    Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
    http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

  6. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Andrew Priest wrote:

    > Sadly my library is not so good on this. I can get the Zinns book but
    > have to request it.
    >
    > I will be in Singapore in a week or so, so will see what I can pick
    > up. Singapore is generally really good on book prices.

    Kinokuniya bookstore on Orchard Road.

    Theo

  7. On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:27:13 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Andrew Priest wrote:
    >
    >> Sadly my library is not so good on this. I can get the Zinns book but
    >> have to request it.
    >>
    >> I will be in Singapore in a week or so, so will see what I can pick
    >> up. Singapore is generally really good on book prices.

    >Kinokuniya bookstore on Orchard Road.

    Thanks Theo. Will look out for it.

    Andrew
    -----