Zipp 2001 / 3001 Info......Anyone!!!

verticalmaniac

Feb 27, 2006
[font=&quot]I recently purchased a Zipp 3001 on eBay for a restoration project to be used in triathlons. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Upon receiving the bike I made a list of all the upgrades I wanted to make and then went on the Internet looking for information on the frame. Not much there. My current dilemma is in the replacement of the brake and derailleur cables. I need to find a replacement that has a continuous liner that can run through the frame. I was hoping that there might still be a few Zipp 2001 / 3001 enthusiasts out there that could help me out. [/font]

[font=&quot]OK...Obviously there are not allot of these bikes still on the road. How about a quick post from anyone who still owns one of these unique bikes and also a photo (of the bike not you). Thanks.[/font]

My everyday ride is the competitor... Trek Y-Foil, but...

Cabling shoudn't be an issue. If you have to, you can always check with tandem sources, some tandems use very long brake cables.

My Foil uses a cable housing that runs from lever to rear caliper, and I had no problem using a stock Campy housing. Didn't even have to trim it much.

Now, feeding the cable housing through the frame and getting it to come out where you want it is another matter entirely...

[font=&quot]I thought I would post a photo of my newly purchased Zipp 3001 prior to the restoration / upgrade process.[/font]

Greetings Fellow Zipp 3001 enthusiast! I've had one of these beauties since about 1996 when I was flush with cash and wanted the best bike on the planet. I still race time trial and triathlon on it and did Ironman California and Hawaii in 2000. It nearly got me arrested in Saudi when I had it imported; the guys at customs didn't like the look of a package that stated "Speed Weaponry" and appeared to contain an anti-tank missile launcher when they x-rayed it!!

Over the years I've built up quite a bit of knowledge about the frame and its excentricites. The cable routing has always been a problem and I found that as time has gone by the liners within the frame have gradually worked their way out. I've tried to replace them with Gore Ride On Cables (I'm sure they are available in the US) -The cable liner is a pretty close fit and tends to kink when you slide it into the frame. The bottom line? I've started packing the cable route with plenty of grease and just sliding shimano cables in without worrying too much about the liner.

What else? Loads of stuff, like how to replace the headset (Zipp kindly bonded the original American Classic headset in place, making replacement a worrying business) and what to do with the rear mech. cable exit port on the right chainstay.....the hole is gradually getting wider and may split sometime. I'm working on that!

If you need any hints do let me know and I'll try to help. In the meantime happy riding and watch the crosswinds, especially with a disc on the back!!

Cheers

Sam

verticalmaniac said:
[font=&quot]I thought I would post a photo of my newly purchased Zipp 3001 prior to the restoration / upgrade process.[/font]

Zipp and then HED wheels?

Isn't that, like, a paradox? lol

According to the Zipp website (http://www.zipp.com/Zipp/tabid/64/Default.aspx), in 1998 the 2001 and 3001 frames were declared illegal by UCI effective as of 1/1/2000. This would explain why Zipp stopped making the bikes. Now, does UCI ruling extend to all triathlons? Does anybody here understand how that works? I've heard of 2001/3001 users buying these bikes for triathlons on other forums. But I wonder if they get to race them simply because the rules are getting old and the judges just don't know any better?

I have one for sale in Chicago. It is number 67. I am asking $2200 OBO. Bike is in excellent condition. I have owned it for over 7 years. If you are interested please contact me at [email protected] ask for Eric. If you need more photos feel free to ask.

IMG_20111010_122215.jpg

Having a slight problem posting images. Hope this one works.

Attachments

• IMG_20111010_122215.jpg
    IMG_20111010_122215.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Quote: Originally Posted by Sped Bi .
Having a slight problem posting images. Hope this one works.

This forum doesn't use regular photo codes. You can just copy and paste (ctrl c, ctrl v), or, if the image is large, like yours is, you sometimes have to post the url in the "insert image" thingy

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz325/MaxEvian/IMG_20111010_122215.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20111010_122215.jpg
    IMG_20111010_122215.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Are Zipp bikes allowed at Ironman races (IM Madison)? How do Zipp bikes perform on hills? Is that Zipp in Chicago still for sale?

I'd be surprised if these bikes weren't allowed at triathlons. As you probably know, thriathlons don't have the same strict rules concerning time-trial bikes that they have at sanctioned bike race time-trials

I'm going to say with 99% confidence that the Zipp 2001 and 3001 are legal for triathalons. They are not legal for races run under UCI rules, and Ironman races are not run under UCI rules.

I can say with absolute certainty, the Zipp frame is allowed to be used in any triathlon.

I have one I just put on eBay. It's not cheap, though, because it includes Modolo Kronos brakes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221020637791

^ this sold for $2795! And the one in post #18 sold for $2576!! I guess they're still somewhat sought-after