ZIPP 303 rim-PT2.4 hub problem/failure

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Toofarhome, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Toofarhome

Toofarhome New Member

Has anyone had any problems? I had mine built in late January. When out for a gentle spin Thursday I felt the rear wheel go out of true. On closer inspection I found the rim had failed/cracked at a spoke hole on the non-drive side.

Anybody else with this combo had any issues or is it just one of those carbon things?

Tags:

2. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I just got brand new Zipp 404s from ebay and haven't given them a ride yet. I'm worried that cracks in the pavement on my bike path would do such spoke / rim crack failures. Did you ride over a lot of cracks? Did you hit any potholes?

It might cost you $450 to buy a rim.

3. Toofarhome

Toofarhome New Member

Nope, all been on good quality road with probably no more than 350 miles distance done on them. Not good.

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Are you heavy? I'm 145 lbs so I should be easy on my wheels. Wilmar13 cracked his Zipp 303s.

There was a thread in another section on Zipp durability. Check it out. Might be in the Cafe or Equipement section.

5. Toofarhome

Toofarhome New Member

Not particularly - around 160lbs and had 32 spokes on the back which should have been fine I'd hoped. Anyway I've had a response from ZIPP since I posted it earlier so hopefully should be able to sort a replacement shortly.

Apart from this one problem the wheels have been fantastic.

6. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

Who made that wheel? The wheelbuilder is more important than the hub or rime for the durability of your wheel.

7. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Just curious, as I was considering the 303/SL 2.4 combo:

were they brand new or used ??

were they clincher or tubulars ??

8. Dimboy

Dimboy New Member

It appears Zipps have lots of common problems but people still buy them.

9. Toofarhome

Toofarhome New Member

Condor Cycles in London built it up. Both were brand new with the Rim being a Clincher

10. sglasgow

sglasgow New Member

I have the same a Zip 303 clincher with the PT2.4 hub sourced from Zipp. Yes indeed it had to be completely re-trued. I absolutely hate it, the rim is so large its next to impossible to change flats. In a race it would be end of game as opposed to a proper rim where you can quickly change with bare hands. Definitely, would not do it again plus of course the HR function doesn't work.

11. cPritch67

cPritch67 New Member

I have ridden the PT SL 24 hole with a 303 clincher rim for about 15 months, and have had no issues whatsoever. They are my one and only wheelset and I have an estimated 2,700 miles on them. I live in So Cal, with most roads being good. I weigh 165 lbs.
    The wheels are tough to install tires on, but other than that, have worked great. I have just ordered the latest 303's on the new 2.4 PT. Hoping for the same solid results.