Zipp 303's with PT SL as everyday wheel ??

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Thom_y, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Currently have a pair of Ksyrium ES wheels on my bike, but have been seriously considering getting into Power measurement with a PT SL (possibly wireless one). I don't know if one could replace the Mavic hub with a PT SL on the Ksyrium ES.

Alternatively, I am wondering about going with a Zipp 303 wheelset with a PT SL as an everyday wheel. I don't race, this is strictly for recreational/fitness use. I weigh 152 lbs.. Last year I rode about 2500 miles. My only concern is the roads I primarily ride on in Eastern Canada and Maine, are not alway pristine tarmac. They can be beat up in sections, but usually get paved or patched before they look like the lunar surface. Usually, you can avoid most big cracks or pothole as there is minimal traffic, although you may rarely find yourself hitting one of these cracks or potholes directly. I just don't know whether the Zipp's could handle that for an everyday wheel. Thank you.

Tags:

2. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Maybe this is a clue for my anwser ? ... although this was the result of someone racing on the 303s:

[​IMG]

3. rule62

rule62 New Member

I've got an SL on a Zipp 303 wheel that I have been using for training, group and rally riding for the past two seasons without any issue. I throw it on the truing stand when I make a tire change to see that it is still dialed in, but that's about it. I'm 160 and have somewhere north of 8,000 miles on the wheel at this point. No issues of any kind and definitely no complaints either.

I try not to run over railroad ties in the road, but the places that I ride are far from pristine. In my experience they do a really good job of soaking up road vibration. I ride in the mecca of chip and seal and bad asphalt patch pave that is our North Texas rural country roads system and actually got this wheel for that very reason. The 303's are actually very sturdy, while at the same time being very forgiving given their stiffness. The other reason that I got them is that it's lake country roller hilly where I ride, and I especially love them on the climb. There is nothing wrong at all with using 303 clincher's for training if you can afford it.

YMMV of course. Hope this helps. ;)

4. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

Me too-ride 5 to 6x a week on a 303 clincher and PT and will race on it too.

5. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

If your budget allows it. I have a 404 with PT SL on it and I use it as my everday wheel. Everyday wheel, meaning, on group rides, race, training rides, but definitely not for commuting!

6. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Thanks ... good to hear that. I am just curious do you know how much the 303's weigh with your PT ?

7. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

I do not-I am sorry and its in a box ready to ship to Saris for hub repair (no transmission icon on receiver). Compared to my 32h dt240 hub/dt rr1.1 rim its quite noticable, but it is aero and thats helps offset the weight penalty they say. Of course the data you get far outweighs the weight penalty as well.

8. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

OH NO ... not another broken hub. How often can one expect this ???

Is the SRM any less prone to breakdown than a PT hub ?

9. crit rat

crit rat New Member

I would only run a zipp 303 or 404 as an everyday wheel if it was a clincher which have a reputation for being tougher than the tubular versions which have a reputation for being very aero but not particularly strong.

10. DesFlurane

DesFlurane New Member

Like most things, people tend not to post when everything is okay.
    Saris service is apparently top notch, unfortunately 24 hours after my email detailling my woes, they have only sent an autoreply:(

11. peterpen

peterpen New Member

Not everybody lives on the internet - pick up the phone.

12. rule62

rule62 New Member

Exactly, my experience is that they are set up to work best with you over the phone. They are extremely friendly and low key too, which I really like since I am calling about something that I don't know how to exactly explain in the first place.

13. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

I asked around and I got the feeling that SRMS's are less prone to problems, but at $3500 or so you could have a PT harness on multiple bikes, two PT SL hubs on different rims and stilll have cash left over. I am scouring e-bay these days looking for a 2nd PT SL wheel just for this reason. Seems dumb, but SRM is just too expensive and I cannot use an Ergomo on my Six13 with SI carbon crank.

14. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Seems like smart thinking. I am just curious do many people tend to have a second PT hub/wheel readily available. I know I just hate riding without a computer on board for at least speed ... it feels almost like forgetting to wear gloves or your glasses on a ride ... naked.

15. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

I doubt it!! I am using my PT as a HR monitor right now and I also have Cadence. if I can rig up a stronger (neodymium-sp?) magnet to put on the wheel I can have wheel speed without the PT hub as well. The reason for the stronger magnet is the pick-up needs ot be extremely close to the stock magnet for it to read and I dont feel like moving my pick-up.

16. Rocket^

Rocket^ New Member

Actually you can if you are willing to give up the SI crank for the Ergomo Carbon Crank. I changed mine out on a System Six due to the fact I didn't want to get a different (new) power meter. You have to purchase a bottom bracket sleeve from Cannondale in order to make the change.