ZIPP 404 or Mavic Carbone SSC????????

Originally posted by Halflin
IBut also the thought of getting a flat on a tubular tire and $50+ gone down the drain scares the **** out of me.

Hey, you're not a cyclist until you have repaired a tubular. It can be done, it just takes a little more work. If anyone thinks repairing tubulars is too hard, just send them to me. I'll give them a good home and a good ride.

In any case, if you're riding cat3-cat4 crits, you'd have to be very rich to go out on rims like 404's, because they won't last long. Some unknowledgable amateur will do something stupid in front of you, and - crunch! Goodbye wheels. In that level of competition, good wheels won't make near the difference that good conditioning makes.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Yeah, I would have thought clinchers are a lot safer because there's less possibility of rolling one off the rim.

You are absolutely correct. A clincher may roll off the rim if it goes flat. We've all seen front blow outs lead to crashes in criteriums, etc. But that's just about the only time (with some rare exceptions).

Tubulars... can roll off the rim even when NOT flat. Heat up that glue enough, five into a big corner and whammo, you can watch that hoola hoop go flying. But don't take my word for it -- do a few web searches and you'll find all kinds of info on that. And that's why some riders put in insulation strips on their rims to help.

I can't tell whether Marlon struggles with English or just plain everything. It worries me when I see posts like his that others may take as credible...

Originally posted by Aztec
I can't tell whether Marlon struggles with English or just plain everything. It worries me when I see posts like his that others may take as credible...
They're far enough outside of the conventional wisdom, that hopefully anyone in doubt will hear better advice before they get a few feet out the door. No serious offense intended, Marlon, but the vast consensus among most riders with experience is that you're off the mark on this issue.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne

-Cheaper

'Cheaper' doesn't necessarily equate to 'Better'.

-Easier to repair punctures

I'll remember that next time I get a tubular back up and running in about 60 seconds with sealant, while you'd still be fiddling around with tire levers and tubes.

-No messing around with glue

Tubular tape = no glue and no waiting.

-Wider choice of wheels/rims

There may be a wider choice of Fords than Benz, but not everyone wants a Ford.

-Easier to find replacements

True, but if you keep a spare or two on hand in either case (a wise idea), it doesn't matter.

-Don't have to carry a spare tyre

I ride tubulars and I don't carry a spare.

-Can lean into corners without worrying about rolling a tyre off the rim (even if a tubular is glued properly, hot weather or heat buildup in the rim from braking can weaken the glue)

A tubular tire is better suited for taking corners than a clincher. Take a good look at a tubular tire next time you have an opportunity and you can easily see why.

If clinchers were such the clear choice as you'd like to believe, then no one (especially the pros) would be using tubulars.

Teddy B... I'm curious about the tub glue tape. How does it work? I might someday toss tubs on future racer wheels, but hated the gooey mess of the '80s.

Originally posted by Aztec
Teddy B... I'm curious about the tub glue tape. How does it work? I might someday toss tubs on future racer wheels, but hated the gooey mess of the '80s.

No more gooey mess, no more waiting. You get the tape on, center the tire, inflate, ride it a few minutes and go. I use the 'Extreme' version. I run the Tufo S3 215g tubies (21mm) at 160-170psi, and I'm not feeling any 'increased rolling resistance'. I'm not going back to clinchers.

Also, the tape only weighs ~10g.

Here is the Tufo product page link:

http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/accessories.php

(The sealant works well too)

Here are some other experiences for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=2163

PEZ Cycling's Short Writeup:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=993
(check out the great photo of the Reynolds Stratus wheels with blue tubulars)