Zipp 404 tubular or clincher?

JTE83 said:
Well, Floyd Landis did this year's TDF on a PowerTap SL (Zipp?) wheel. And hub weight isn't that bad. The reason I want a Powertap is it's 1 sec recording capability. I currently use 2 Polar Power Output kits and they're just adequate with their 5 sec recording capability. If I can't use Zipp 404 tubulars anywhere (race, training, or regular street use) then I just won't get them anymore and I'll just stick to my current sets of wheels (Ksyrium SL, Eurus, R535). I'm not interested in Zipp 404 clinchers. I like training at higher speeds cuz the wind cools you down better.

If I bike high speed in town I take the whole car lane and I bike past the range of opening doors. If I bike within door range I take it easy ~ 18 mph. Yes, I've been doored twice.

I was unhappy with my last race - my polar power output kit went unaligned and didn't record my power during the race. I'm not a serious racer though - I mainly bike to lose / maintain my weight and for fitness and transportation. But I do like nice gear though. Zipp 404's would really make my Cervelo Soloist Team "Team CSC Authentic."
Been out of circulation for too long here.
I think you just go ahead with your plan of having the 404's. The main thing is that you're happy with what you have. Your ride is much better just feeling that you are satisfied with your equipment.
Today i ordered 3 Tufo S3 tubulars 21mm 215 gms. I still havent got the 404's though. Well that's me. I first bought tires for the car before i finally bought the car.:D Same with my Polar. I have the power sensor but still have to buy the S725.

My only regret in getting Zipp 404 tubulars is flat tires. I don't have any experience changing / fixing a tubular flat tire. Yesterday on my night workout after work I got my first flat tire (clinchers) on my Kestrel Talon - really cut my workout time short especially when you don't have much time to workout during the weekdays after work.

JTE83 said:
My only regret in getting Zipp 404 tubulars is flat tires. I don't have any experience changing / fixing a tubular flat tire. Yesterday on my night workout after work I got my first flat tire (clinchers) on my Kestrel Talon - really cut my workout time short especially when you don't have much time to workout during the weekdays after work.
Thats why i ordered 3 S3´s with one as spare. I also ordered the Tufo Tube Sealant. At least if i decide not to bring along the spare (am not keen on bringing along a spare, why else would i have the tubular 404´s, if not to make my set-up lighter), i can always use the sealant and i can still reach home riding.

pinoybiker said:
Thats why i ordered 3 S3´s with one as spare. I also ordered the Tufo Tube Sealant. At least if i decide not to bring along the spare (am not keen on bringing along a spare, why else would i have the tubular 404´s, if not to make my set-up lighter), i can always use the sealant and i can still reach home riding.
To revive that 18 month old thread....

I have the ability to purchase a set of 404's with a PT 2.4 hub with Continental Competition Tubular already glued on for $1900US (front and back). These are from a LBS and will be new with full warranty. A customer ordered them and actually wanted clinchers so, I have been offered these at this price. I hope to find out tonight or tomorrow if she still wants to give them up and wait for the clinchers to come in.

I however have not been that excited about tubulars and if this deal falls through will probably go with clinchers and pay much more for them. I have been trying to research this for a week and keep going back an forth. I am still trying to figure out my decesion point on when I would go clincher vs tubular but this seem like a good enough price to go tubular.

It looks like you had the same type of decision to make.

How do you like the tubulars after 18 months of riding?

Is there a difference in the mileage from a tubular vs. a clincher? (JohnO did not answer that originally)

JohnO said:
Not to sound obtuse or anything, but... why would you put a training hub on race wheels? If you're training, the efficiency of the wheels won't matter. And if you're racing, the last thing you want is a heavy, electronics laden hub. Extra weight, and more things to go wrong, to get data you can't possibly process during a race.

Well, you are obtuse ;) or apparently haven't read Allen & Coggan's book. To paraphrase: "the most valuable power data you can obtain is from a race".

The point isn't getting data DURING a race, but getting the data to analyze AFTER a race. I hardly ever look at my Powertap in a race, other than when I'm in situations where I need to put out the power but don't want to totally blow up. Power data is invaluable in helping you figure out where things went wrong.

Gee - I used to dream about Zipp 404's with a powertap? Wouldn't consider that now. I'm happy with my ergomo pro and Zipp 404 clinchers.

Funny thing with the clinchers - they give a cracking sound the first time you inflate them with a tire! Like the carbon is cracking from the rims or something!

JTE83 said:
I used to dream about Zipp 404's with a powertap?
So did I. Not any more! My 404's complete with PT SL are being built this week. I went with tubulars. Mainly to save a little weight on the rims but also because I figure I'll be less tempted to train on them than I would if they were clinchers. I truly want these to be race dedicated wheels. And maybe not even every race - I'd hate to involve my expensive race wheels in a crit crash. :eek:

Been out of touch for quite sometime.
Bought the tubular 404's last Oct '05. Have not been using it much though. Then i bought last July '06 Fulcrum Racing 1.

Actually made a wrong decision here as i could have the PT SL instead of having another set of wheels.

JTE33, how is your Ergomo PM? Does it require the unit to be returned to an authorised service center for periodic servicing?

pinoybiker said:
JTE33, how is your Ergomo PM? Does it require the unit to be returned to an authorised service center for periodic servicing?

My ergomo pro equipped bike is my CF Soloist which is in Chicago. I'm in a temp job in Houston, TX now so I won't be riding it it for 4 to 10 months more. Only rode it for 200 miles and it worked ok. But I think the BBs last for 10,000 miles, then they need servicing.

Right now I'm just getting by with my Polar Power equipped Kestrel Talon.

Oh, I'm Fillipino too!

JTE83 said:
My ergomo pro equipped bike is my CF Soloist which is in Chicago. I'm in a temp job in Houston, TX now so I won't be riding it it for 4 to 10 months more. Only rode it for 200 miles and it worked ok. But I think the BBs last for 10,000 miles, then they need servicing.

Right now I'm just getting by with my Polar Power equipped Kestrel Talon.

Oh, I'm Fillipino too!

Yup i remembered when i posted a thread about Polar PM,you were there too.
These servicing thing is what's giving me the allergy. No service centers around here. I think my S725i will now be 2 years old and needs battery/servicing too.
10000 miles would take me to U.S and back here on a bike (if at all possible :D ) so i think its reasonable.
Mabuhay kabayan.

Servicing a Polar HRM is easy. Just get the right battery, open the case, put it in, and close it. I saw nothing special about the seals. Did this to my S720i after 2 years of use when it went weak during IR transmissions.

But my wearlink strap was **** and Polar did not replace it under warranty.

JTE83 said:
Servicing a Polar HRM is easy. Just get the right battery, open the case, put it in, and close it. I saw nothing special about the seals. Did this to my S720i after 2 years of use when it went weak during IR transmissions.

But my wearlink strap was **** and Polar did not replace it under warranty.

I was planning to replace it myself but i simply could not locate the right battery. I expect the battery to die out anytime as it is already 2 years since i bought it.

Mabuhay!!!