Zipp 440/404 differances?? (i.e. weight, etc.)

jcbarnett

Aug 3, 2006
Would some of you more knowledgeable folks please tell me the main differances between the Zipp 440 and 404 wheelsets?? As I understand it, the 440s had foam cores whereas the 404s do not and are therefore 40 grams heavier per wheel. Since I am NOT a pro/high Cat level rider by ANY stretch of the imagination, would I be better off with the 440s for an occassional TT (PR type) or Biathlon?? I have seen that the 404s can be quite costly, even used on Ebay and the 440s are a little more reasonable. Thanks for the info!!

That 40 grams isn't going to do a thing compared to any aero difference unless you are on a steep hill (5%) AND not descending the back of the hill. Aero is way more important than weight, otherwise people would ride something like a Bontrager *** climb lite. Hed is a heavier than Zipp for but also more aero (talking deep sections here), and tri spokes just look cool if that's your thing. So, if you haven't paid for anything yet go with a Hed Jet or tri spoke (I love mine). Back when Lance was in the TDF he had a Zipp disk on the back (branded Bontrager/Trek) but his deeps were always Hed for the aero.