Zipp 530 tire changing

everesev

Jul 11, 2007
I have a set of Zipp 530's and ever since I have had them I and several mechanics cannot easily change a tire. I cannot use them far from home because if I have a flat, tire irons just cannot get the tire off. It is even more difficult to get them on. I have broken many set of tire irons and special Park tools for changing tires do not work. I am NOT a newbie rider as I have raced and trained for 15 years and know how to change a tire. I am thinking somehow these wheels have a diameter that is over sized. I have stretched tires and still I cannot (without exteme effort) change a tire on these...especially the rear tire.

ANy help out there?

sogood said:
Ever thought about talking to Zipp about the problem?
I am in the process, and their initial response was to use a thinner (0.5mm) rim tape. This wheel is absolutely impossible to change a tire so I think otherwise. I have to check the wheel diameter and see if it falls into the right range. Thus far, Zipp has not replied to me any further.

everesev said:
I am in the process, and their initial response was to use a thinner (0.5mm) rim tape. This wheel is absolutely impossible to change a tire so I think otherwise. I have to check the wheel diameter and see if it falls into the right range. Thus far, Zipp has not replied to me any further.
Interesting point about the rim tape. Have to remember that one.

Try to ring them up. Often much faster than waiting for email responses.