Zipp..are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kennybear, Jan 20, 2007.

1. kennybear

kennybear New Member

My LBS informed me that 2007 Zipp wheels are increasing in price 17% ...Here in Canada they go for $2250 for clincher 303's...are they worth it?

Tags:

2. Jim R

Jim R New Member

They would probably gain me 30 seconds at most for a 40k TT, so yes that would be worth $2250 for me:). I suppose I could train a little harder to achieve that also but that would be a lot of work.

3. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

according to this "test", Zipp 808s only save you 12w at 50kph over the cheapest Mavic wheelset, the Aksium Race

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-4934445.html

I haven't worked out the effect of intertia, but according to the Kreuzotter calculator, 12w at ~50kph gives you about 0.4kph extra speed, or 0.25mph

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

At speeds of around 50kph, an extra 0.4kph will save you 23 seconds over 40km.

The Shimano R560s are rated at only 6 watts less efficient than the 808s!!!!

4. Phill P

Phill P New Member

I think Jim R hit it on the head. For him $2250 is good value to save him 30 seconds on a TT.
    I don't race and don't have a spare $2250, so for me its way not worth it.

Worth is different for different people. $2250 is a new bike for some people, for me it means a nice holiday, for others it means saving time on race day.

5. Iron Man

Iron Man New Member

The other thing you must consider is that there are equivilent wheel sets out there that are much cheeper without the "Zipp" name attached. I assume you want to be fast, and are not obsessed with having brand names all over your bike! So why not look at bontragers new aeolus set, or some HED's or a set or Mavics. all are good wheels and i think they are a bit cheaper that 2250! I use HED 3C's in all my time trials, because when i bought these was they made me FEEL fast even though i was going slow!(40Km/h). Look at the bearings first and the durability then aerodynamics, as the aero part is a small factor unless you are going into a 100% Head wind.

6. genedoc

genedoc New Member

What's the deal with having to buy brand new $2200 wheels? What's wrong with buying a used set of Zipps off e-bay for $750? That's where I got mine and they are perfect. I race, but not for a living and 30 seconds is not worth $2200 to me, but it is worth $750. Lots of these wheel come up for auction from guys that think you have to buy everything brand new then after a couple of TTs decide to move on to another sport.

7. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

No warranty, no dealer to help you out, not getting what you paid for, trawling through hundreds of adds to get the right wheels, ,... etc.

Doesn't put me off but I'm sure others are concerned..

8. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

A local rider won a World Master title last summer on borrowed Nimble wheels (after his were stolen just before the event in Salzburg). He hadn't seen them before, but said he was very impressed with the wheels .

I've never seen them either, but like the test data and info on the website. The price looks good as well compared to some other choices. www.nimble.net

9. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

17% increase? Highway robbery....

10. Bikelyst

Bikelyst New Member

You wanna go way over the top on wheels...get a set with ceramic bearings. Those things are immaculate.:rolleyes: