Zipp contour bar taping

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
I was given this bar and wondered if the norm is to wrap tape over the flat top section or stop at the hoods like a track bar or somewhere in between. When not in the drops or on the hoods I really don't need tape for cushion or grip. I've seen them tapeless with the cables held in place with tape underneath. Maybe the guy was just showing off his flat top aero carbon big dollar bars.

Mish said:
I was given this bar and wondered if the norm is to wrap tape over the flat top section or stop at the hoods like a track bar or somewhere in between. When not in the drops or on the hoods I really don't need tape for cushion or grip. I've seen them tapeless with the cables held in place with tape underneath. Maybe the guy was just showing off his flat top aero carbon big dollar bars.
I tape them. The naked CF clear coat gets very slippery when wet. Not that I have the Zipp bars, but i've got the Ritchey WCS Carbon Evolution which have a similar top piece.

parawolf said:
I tape them. The naked CF clear coat gets very slippery when wet. Not that I have the Zipp bars, but i've got the Ritchey WCS Carbon Evolution which have a similar top piece.
Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

Mish said:
Excellent. Thanks for the reply.
+1 I know its nice to show off the carbon, but even with sweat it gets really slippery and uncomfortable.

jcjordan said:
+1 I know its nice to show off the carbon, but even with sweat it gets really slippery and uncomfortable.
Yep..As I thought, he was showing off the big money bars.