Zipp Shimano or Campy dilema

repro

Oct 13, 2007
Gentlemen,
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I have not taken a new wheelset apart yet and I think I could use some input here. When I go on Ebay, ZIPP wheelset are set up as Shimano, or Campy. I would think that even if I buy a Shimano setup, It should not be too hard to change it to Campy cassette, or am I wrong? Am I going have to dismantle the whole wheel? Also, if I don't want either of them, Campy or Shimano, but I want to go with SRAM group, I wonder, what hub fits the SRAM? And final question: do I even have to swap the cassete from Shimano to Campy or SRAM if I wanna go to Campy or SRAM and why-the gears won't change properly? Thanks for your answers.

repro said:
I don't mean to sound stupid, but I have not taken a new wheelset apart yet and I think I could use some input here. When I go on Ebay, ZIPP wheelset are set up as Shimano, or Campy. I would think that even if I buy a Shimano setup, It should not be too hard to change it to Campy cassette, or am I wrong? Am I going have to dismantle the whole wheel? Also, if I don't want either of them, Campy or Shimano, but I want to go with SRAM group, I wonder, what hub fits the SRAM? And final question: do I even have to swap the cassete from Shimano to Campy or SRAM if I wanna go to Campy or SRAM and why-the gears won't change properly? Thanks for your answers.
I cannot tell you what the specific process is for changing the freehub body on ZIPP wheels, but the process generally involves removing the axle and accessing a hollow locking nut from the non-driveside OR the driveside with a 10mm (or, larger?) Allen Wrench ... replace the freehub ... replace the axle.

SRAM's cog spacing mimics Shimano's ... SRAM cassettes are designed to fit on Shimano freehubs (i.e., same spline pattern).

Campagnolo 10-speed cog spacing is similar to Shimano's 9-speed cog spacing BUT Campagnolo cassettes have a different spline pattern than Shimano cassettes.

FWIW. Honestly, IMO, you are PROBABLY better off if you/(others -- that is. everyone who isn't a sponsored rider) stick with either Campagnolo or Shimano drivetrains rather than adding yourself to the legion of unpaid guinea pigs for SRAM (i.e., a year-or-so of feedback has finally resulted in an improved mechanism at an even more severe price premium than their older slug'd version) ... but, hey, some people think they liked the look of the emperor's new clothes, too; so, if you are compelled to buying SRAM shifters & derailleurs, be forewarned that there will undoubtedly be another, NEWER variant a few years hence which may completely supersede the existing drivetrains (i.e., lacking backward compatibility -- that's not a concern for some people [e.g., sponsored riders]).

If you can wait, I reckon that Shimano will introduce an updated shifter at the 2008 TdF ...

Campagnolo shifters/components are ALWAYS a good choice and you won't have to wait.

Thank you for your time and help. I am not after SRAM too much. I just don't like the Shimano bulky hoods, they are too big for me and I like to grab on something smaller like Campy hoods when out of the saddle. Maybe I will just go for the Campy after all. Buying the elements separately ma kes not much of a sense since they are more expensive when bought that way.