Zipp Vuka v.s. Easton EC70 Clip On Aero Bar

nickcach

Jan 14, 2008
I just completed my first duathlon last weekend. Its extremely addicting as im sure some of you know. I placed 33rd out of 128. The bike portion was 12 miles and I averaged 19.19 mph. Needless to say I was passed by many tri bikes with carbon disk wheels and aero bars. I'm looking to put some aero bars on my 2006 Specialized Tarmac Pro.

I've been doing some research and have boiled down to two different clip on aero bars.

Easton EC70 Carbon Clip On
or
Zipp Vuka Carbon Clip On

Does anyone have either bar or have a recomendation on which bar to purchase?

Also, how do I figure out what size I need to purchase S, M, L?

Thank you

Also, I have a carbon handle bar. Is it ok to mount clip on aero bars to it?

nickcach said:
I just completed my first duathlon last weekend. Its extremely addicting as im sure some of you know. I placed 33rd out of 128. The bike portion was 12 miles and I averaged 19.19 mph. Needless to say I was passed by many tri bikes with carbon disk wheels and aero bars. I'm looking to put some aero bars on my 2006 Specialized Tarmac Pro.

I've been doing some research and have boiled down to two different clip on aero bars.

or
Zipp Vuka Carbon Clip On

Thank you

nickcach said:
Also, I have a carbon handle bar. Is it ok to mount clip on aero bars to it?

I guess that would depend on the bars. If they're Reynolds CF bars, then, the answer is definitely. It should be ok in most every case.

I have an 05 specialized tarmac w/ carbon bars, and for TT's i use the profile designs T2+ ($75.00) cllip on bars. They work fine, just be sure not to tighten the bolts too much (or you will crack the bars). The downside of using the aero bars is that it will peel and crack the clear coat on the carbon bars. just messes up the look a bit, but i think it is still worth the bars.

nickcach said:

or
Zipp Vuka Carbon Clip On

Thank you

Don't have any advice except make sure the handlebars are tri bar compatible(particularly if your hbars are carbon) and if your fit is proper w/o tri bars, something has to change to be able to fit the bike with tribars. They are not generally a plug and play option, unless they are the short stubbie type where the tribar ends are not much farther than the front of the levers(required in some races, with closed ends-drafting races).