Zipp Wheelsets

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by U5002, Oct 14, 2003.

1. U5002

U5002 New Member

I was reading some product reviews for Zipp 303 & 404's and the majority of the rewiews were not favorable in terms of durability and staying in true. The rewiews were favorable in terms of ride quality. I'd be interested in hearing what folks who have owned a set of these wheels have experienced with these wheelsets and other high end aero wheels.

Tags:

2. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I posed the same question a week or two ago in this thread.

Most, if not all, of the common complaints regarding rim failures stem from the 2002 and earlier 303 and 404 clinchers. Zipp overhauled the design in 2003 as a response to the complaints, and I had read that the new rims were much sturdier (though about 50g heavier). I wasn't able to find many user reviews for the '03 303s and 404s, hence this thread.

You'll find a few good responses there. A few quotes:

Hope this helps!

3. blip

blip New Member

I have had a pair of 303 tubulars for 4 months. They have about 1000 race kilometres on them. I do not use them for training on...no surprises there as they are a long way from cheap! To race on they are quite extraordinary, so fast it is a joke.
    I am unsure of the reliability issues of those in the past but my ones are great. I think that if you are a lighter guy ( I am 74kgs ) and use them only for racing they will fly you to the line.

4. eaglecycling

eaglecycling New Member

Look at the Reynolds composites line. No known warranty or failure issues/

5. filtersweep

filtersweep New Member

Sure, because no one actually uses them ;)

Zipp is partially a victim of their own success- their wheels are the "standard" for carbon wheels- they are everywhere. I'm curious what actual percentage of the wheels are problematic, vs. the sheer number. I wonder if it is a QC issue or a real problem.