Zocor - Is there a generic in the works

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:06:47 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Dr Chaos wrote:
>
>> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Imho, you are looking at the wrong part of the body with CIMT.

>> If the biochemical process is similar everywhere and there is
>> mechanistic correlation between states likely to cause carotid disease
>> as coronary disease, it should be a good proxy for increased risk
>> probability.

> Ime, the CIMT information contributes very little additively to the CAD
> risk assessment ascertainable from a good history, physical exam, EKG,
> and
> basic blood work including serum glucose and a lipid profile.

I would like you to clarify your experience with carotid intima media
thickness.

As you know, I oppose your responses here in an adjacent post.

--
~~~
Patrick Blanchard, M.D., A.B.F.P.

"Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:01:36 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:
> >
> >> <snip>however, you have not addressed your reference point for
> >> 'significant
> >> coronary atherosclerotic disease'.
> >>

> > Disease is clinically significant when there are signs and symptoms
> > associated
> > with it. Otherwise, it may still be important but not clinically
> > significant.

> The decades-long, slow progression of atherosclerosis, clinically silent,
> without signs or symptoms is a very very significant and serious clinical
> problem.

You have my opinion.

> Cleve Clin J Med. 2003 May;70(5):431-4, 437-8, 440. Aggressive treatment of
> atherosclerosis: the time is now.
>
> Fonarow GC.
>
> Ahmanson-UCLA Cardiomyopathy Center, Cardiology Fellowship Training
> Program, UCLA Preventative Cardiology Program, Division of Cardiology, UCLA
> Division of Cardiology 90095, USA. [email protected]
>
> In patients with known cardiovascular disease and those at high risk for
> it, physicians must begin to treat atherosclerosis earlier, with
> combination therapy of statins, aspirin, angiotensin-converting enzyme
> inhibitors, and beta-blockers.

Agree.

> **** TJ, Nam BH, D'Agostino RB, Wolf PA, Lloyd-Jones DM, MacRae CA, Wilson
> PW, Polak JF, O'Donnell CJ.
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12874190&dopt=Abstract
>
> Carotid intima-media thickness is associated with premature parental
> coronary heart disease: the Framingham Heart Study.
> Circulation. 2003 Aug 5;108(5):572-6. Epub 2003 Jul 21. PMID: 12874190
> [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Note the word "associated"

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Perhaps I was not clear on this issue, let me explain...
> >>
> >> CIMT has proven clinical utility.
> >>

> > Not for assessing coronary plaque stability.

> I disagree with your blanket statement.

Then we should agree to disagree.

> You know we are discussing
> statistically significant issues.

We are discussion our opinions.

> J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003 Sep 17;42(6):1026-32. Related Articles, Links
> Clinical implications of carotid artery remodeling in acute coronary
> syndrome: ultrasonographic assessment of positive remodeling.
>
> Kato M, Dote K, Habara S, Takemoto H, Goto K, Nakaoka K.
>
> Department of Cardiology, Hiroshima City Asa Hospital, Hiroshima, Japan.
> [email protected]
>
> OBJECTIVES: We investigated the relationship between ultrasonographic
> features of the carotid artery and the angiographic features of coronary
> plaques in acute coronary syndrome (ACS). BACKGROUND: The carotid intima-
> media thickness (IMT) may be a marker of advanced coronary artery disease.
> METHODS: Consecutive ACS patients (N = 125) underwent B-mode
> ultrasonography within one week of the acute coronary event. Using a 7.5-
> MHz linear array transducer, the common carotid IMT, interadventitial
> diameter, and luminal diameter were examined. Carotid plaques were also
> assessed. Then patients were divided into two groups based on the number of
> complex plaques identified by coronary angiography. RESULTS: The carotid
> IMT of 75 patients with multiple complex coronary plaques was significantly
> larger than that of 50 patients with solitary plaques (p < 0.0003). The
> prevalence of soft and hard carotid plaques was higher in the group with
> multiple coronary plaques than in those with single plaques (28% vs. 12%, p
> < 0.04 and 13% vs. 0%, p < 0.008, respectively). Additionally, the carotid
> interadventitial diameter was larger in the patients with multiple plaques
> than in those with single plaques (7.93 +/-0.97 mm vs. 7.48 +/-0.88 mm, p <
> 0.01), and a significant correlation was observed between the carotid IMT
> and interadventitial diameter (R = 0.54, p < 0.0001). CONCLUSIONS: In ACS,
> multiple complex coronary plaques are associated with positive carotid
> remodeling, suggesting that plaque vulnerability may be a systemic
> phenomenon.

Note the word "associated"

> >> hsCRP has proven clinical utility, although not as well validated as
> >> CIMT.
> >>

> > Not for assessing coronary plaque stability.
> >

> >> MPO has possible clinical utility, although not as well validated as
> >> hsCRP.
> >>

> > From the recent NEJM article from Cleveland Clinic, it now has proven
> > utility
> > in assessing stability of coronary plaque(s) that are causing chest pain
> > in the
> > acute ER setting.

Yes?

> >> CIMT has not been proven capable of assesing stability of coronary
> >> plaque.
> >>

> > Glad you agree.

> not the way you are debating it.

It is your opinion.

> >> Coronary angiography is not capable of assesing the stability of
> >> coronary
> >> plaque either.

> > Correct.
> >
> >> IVUS of the coronary arteries, using a radial catheter probe
> >> at lesser axial and lateral resolution than CIMT (lower frequency) is
> >> capable of assessing coronary plaque morphology and as you know is
> >> evolving
> >> into a good tool to guide angioplasty and stent placement.

> > And IVUS information of plaque lipid content does assess coronary plaque
> > stability.

> when you state this, you are actually supporting CIMT as a method for
> assesing coronary plaque stability

You are confusing carotid with coronary.

> because, as you know, atherosclerosis is
> a global process.

Focal disease are by definition not global.

> However, neither CIMT nor Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS)
> has been proven to asses coronary plaque stability.

Coronary IVUS by proximity has greater validity for assessing coronary plaque stability.

> >> CIMT can asses
> >> carotid plaque morphology if performed with high resolution external
> >> 10Mhz
> >> linear array probes or better, although you will find conflicting
> >> reports
> >> in the literature as to the reliability of predicting hard clinical
> >> events
> >> with interpretation of carotid plaque morphology.
> >>

> > Imho, you are looking at the wrong part of the body with CIMT.

> You cannot interpret CIMT as you have been trained to interpret coronary
> angiography.

This discussion is not about my interpretation of CIMT but the validity of CIMT as a surrogate marker for
coronary disease.

> They look at the atherosclerotic process in completely
> different criteria.

Not sure what you are trying to write.

--

"Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:06:47 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Dr Chaos wrote:

> >> If the biochemical process is similar everywhere and there is
> >> mechanistic correlation between states likely to cause carotid disease
> >> as coronary disease, it should be a good proxy for increased risk
> >> probability.

> > Ime, the CIMT information contributes very little additively to the CAD
> > risk assessment ascertainable from a good history, physical exam, EKG,
> > and
> > basic blood work including serum glucose and a lipid profile.
> >
> >> Not actual disease of course.

> > Of course.
> >
> > --
> > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> > Board-Certified Cardiologist
> > http://www.heartmdphd.com/
> >

> you are wrong on both counts. here are 2 of hundreds of articles you will
> find at www.pubmed.gov on carotid intima and global atherosclerosis, and
> its use to identify atherosclerotic burden in people wanting to avoid heart
> attack and stroke, among other vascular problems. Yes, it is complex, and
> cannot be simplified to 5 words in one sentence.
>
> Sramek A, Bosch JG, Reiber JH, Van Oostayen JA, Rosendaal FR.
>
> Ultrasound assessment of atherosclerotic vessel wall changes:
> reproducibility of intima-media thickness measurements in carotid and
> femoral arteries.
> Invest Radiol. 2000 Dec;35(12):699-706.
>
> CONCLUSIONS: Ultrasonography is a reliable and accurate technique to
> determine intima-media thickness in superficial arteries. In studies in
> which the intima-media thickness determination is used as a marker for
> generalized and coronary atherosclerosis, the common carotid artery should
> always be included, whereas the benefit of inclusion of other arteries
> depends on age and the expected extent of atherosclerosis in the
> individuals studied.

Why should the common carotid artery be included if truly the atherosclerosis
is that generalized?

> Atherosclerosis. 2003 Sep;170(1):181-5.
> Impaired insulin sensitivity is an independent predictor of common
> carotid intima-media thickness in a population sample of elderly men.
>
> Wohlin M, Sundstrom J, Arnlov J, Andren B, Zethelius B, Lind L.
>
> Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University,
> Uppsala, Sweden. [email protected]
>
> Most previous studies of associations between insulin sensitivity and
> common carotid artery (CCA) atherosclerosis have been conducted in small
> samples, have not used direct measurement of insulin sensitivity, and have
> yielded inconclusive results.

Hmmm.

> We investigated associations of CCA intima-
> media thickness (IMT) and diameter (CCA-D) measured by B-mode ultrasound
> and insulin sensitivity measured by the euglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp
> test together with risk factors of the insulin resistance syndrome in a
> community-based sample of 493 elderly men. The clamp glucose disposal rate
> was an independent predictor of CCA-IMT in multivariate models adjusting
> for blood pressure, smoking, serum cholesterol, and body mass index (1%
> decrease in CCA-IMT for a 1 unit increase in glucose disposal rate,
> P=0.009). Glucose disposal rate was significantly related to CCA-D in
> univariate (r=-0.11, P=0.02) but not in multivariate models. In conclusion,
> this study is the first to establish impaired insulin sensitivity, measured
> by the euglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp test, as an independent predictor
> of CCA-IMT in a population-based sample of elderly men.

Sounds like CCA-IMT information may be redundant with the diagnosis of MetS.

--

"Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:06:47 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Dr Chaos wrote:

> >> If the biochemical process is similar everywhere and there is
> >> mechanistic correlation between states likely to cause carotid disease
> >> as coronary disease, it should be a good proxy for increased risk
> >> probability.

> > Ime, the CIMT information contributes very little additively to the CAD
> > risk assessment ascertainable from a good history, physical exam, EKG,
> > and
> > basic blood work including serum glucose and a lipid profile.

> I would like you to clarify your experience with carotid intima media
> thickness.

How would you like me to clarify my experience for you?

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:21:23 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:06:47 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> disease
>> >
>> > Ime, the CIMT information contributes very little additively to the

>> CAD
>> > risk assessment ascertainable from a good history, physical exam, EKG,
>> > and
>> > basic blood work including serum glucose and a lipid profile.

>> I would like you to clarify your experience with carotid intima media
>> thickness.

> How would you like me to clarify my experience for you?

I am not going to play cat and mouse.

--
~~~
Patrick Blanchard, M.D., A.B.F.P.
Board Certified in Family Practice

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dr Chaos wrote:
>
>> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Imho, you are looking at the wrong part of the body with CIMT.

>> If the biochemical process is similar everywhere and there is
>> mechanistic correlation between states likely to cause carotid disease
>> as coronary disease, it should be a good proxy for increased risk
>> probability.

> Ime, the CIMT information contributes very little additively to the CAD
> risk assessment ascertainable from a good history, physical exam, EKG, and
> basic blood work including serum glucose and a lipid profile.

I would be surprised if that were true. I'm not a researcher
in this area of course, but I would see the carotid system as an
actual experiment regarding the patient's biochemistry (some of whose
factors are measurable) mixed with the specific genetic response.

I'd imagine it would be provide more specific information.

Naturally this is a scientific hypothesis which ought to be tested
empirically, but my "prior" says that it could be better.

Dr Chaos wrote:

> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Dr Chaos wrote:

> >> If the biochemical process is similar everywhere and there is
> >> mechanistic correlation between states likely to cause carotid disease
> >> as coronary disease, it should be a good proxy for increased risk
> >> probability.

> > Ime, the CIMT information contributes very little additively to the CAD
> > risk assessment ascertainable from a good history, physical exam, EKG, and
> > basic blood work including serum glucose and a lipid profile.

> I would be surprised if that were true.

It remains my experience. There are various stigmata detectable by an astute
physician on physical exam that tells that physician that there is
atherosclerosis. These include characteristic changes of retinal arteries,
cholesterol nodules in the skin (especially around the eyes), bruits, right/left
arm pressure differences, ABIs less than 0.7, the murmur of a sclerotic aortic
valve, loss of hair growth on the lower legs... to name a few. Other clues
include EKG evidence of old heart attacks, calcified coronaries or aorta seen on
chest X-ray, or calcified mammary arteries on mammogram. Fasting serum glucose
greater than 100 +/- LDL greater than 160 and/or HDL less than 40 raises
suspicion even if there were no stigmata. A positive family history is also
helpful. If you have any of the above, it remains my experience, that CIMT
information is not going to change management. Moreover, if you have none of
the above, it would be very unclear what one would do with high CIMT numbers
without actual clear visualization of a "plaque."

> I'm not a researcher
> in this area of course, but I would see the carotid system as an
> actual experiment regarding the patient's biochemistry (some of whose
> factors are measurable) mixed with the specific genetic response.

That experiment can be found elsewhere as described above.

> I'd imagine it would be provide more specific information.

Only if there is actual visualization of "plaque."

> Naturally this is a scientific hypothesis which ought to be tested
> empirically, but my "prior" says that it could be better.

See above.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:48:10 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Dr Chaos wrote:
>
>> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:

>> disease

Dr. Blanchard replys:

you are exactly right, Dr. Chaos, please read on...

>> > Dr. Chung replys
>> > Ime, the CIMT information contributes very little additively to the

>> CAD
>> > risk assessment ascertainable from a good history, physical exam, EKG,

>> and
>> > basic blood work including serum glucose and a lipid profile.

>> Dr. Chaos ... I would be surprised if that were true.

Dr. Blanchard replys:

Dr. Chaos, your suspicion is very true, as I address below Dr. Chung's
reply to you...

> Dr. Chung replys to Dr. Chaos:
> It remains my experience. There are various stigmata detectable by an
> astute
> physician on physical exam that tells that physician that there is
> atherosclerosis.

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

Even the most experienced physician cannot identify atherosclerosis until
the late stages of this silent killer, which continues to this day to be
the number 1 killer and crippler in the united states; more than all
cancers and accidents combined!

> These include characteristic changes of retinal arteries,

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

Atherosclerosis, early and late, cannot be seen in the retinal arteries:

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2000;20:1644.
Are Retinal Arteriolar Abnormalities Related to Atherosclerosis? The
Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study Ronald Klein; A. Richey Sharrett;
Barbara E. K. Klein; Lloyd E. Chambless; Lawton S. Cooper; Larry D.
Hubbard; Greg Evans

an exerpt from the illustrative reference...

Arteriolar narrowing and nicking appear to be related to hypertension and
inflammatory factors. Nicking may also be related to endothelial
dysfunction. Results suggest that these arteriolar changes are
pathologically distinct from atherosclerosis. Including their measurement
in population studies may permit evaluation of the independent contribution
of arteriolar disease to various ischemic diseases of the heart, brain, and
other organs.

> cholesterol nodules in the skin (especially around the eyes),

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

ummm, you might be diagnosis asthma instead.

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1993;91:99-125; discussion 125-9. Periocular
xanthogranulomas associated with severe adult-onset asthma.
Jakobiec FA, Mills MD, Hidayat AA, Dallow RL, Townsend DJ, Brinker EA,
Charles NC.
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston.

> bruits,

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

A late manifestation of atherosclerosis. If you are screening your patients
for the vascular surgeon, then you missed the early atherosclerosis boat
anyway.

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Obuchowski NA, Modic MT, Magdinec M, Masaryk TJ.
Assessment of the efficacy of noninvasive screening for patients with
asymptomatic neck bruits.
Stroke. 1997 Jul;28(7):1330-9.

> right/left arm pressure differences, ABIs less than 0.7,

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

you are looking for vascular obstruction caused by atherosclerosis (like
carotid bruits), and like I replied above, is a late finding in the disease
process.

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Vasc Med. 2003 May;8(2):95-100. Early-onset peripheral arterial occlusive
disease: clinical features and determinants of disease severity and
location.
Barretto S, Ballman KV, Rooke TW, Kullo IJ.
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic,
Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA.

an exerpt from the illustrative reference...

Early-onset peripheral lower extremity arterial occlusive disease (PAD) is
an uncommon, poorly characterized manifestation of atherosclerotic vascular
disease.

> murmur of a sclerotic aortic valve,

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

Sclerosis of the aortic valve is a terminal stage of atherosclerosis, and a
majority of these patients have already had a stroke or heart attack.

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Am J Cardiol. 2002 May 1;89(9):1030-4. Aortic valve sclerosis, mitral
annular calcium, and aortic root sclerosis as markers of atherosclerosis in
men.
Tolstrup K, Roldan CA, Qualls CR, Crawford MH.
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of New Mexico, Albuquerque,
New Mexico 87108, USA.

an exerpt from the illustrative reference...

We concluded that the prevalence of AVS, MAC, or ARS by transesophageal
echocardiography in men is common, and their presence is highly associated
with aortic atheromatous disease and coronary, carotid, or peripheral
artery disease.

> loss of hair growth on the lower legs

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

Atherosclerosis does not cause arteriosclerosis.

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Relation of leg hair loss to arteriosclerosis.
JAMA. 1970 Jul 6;213(1):130. No abstract available.

> ... to name a few.

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

can you share more of them with me?

> Other clues
> include EKG evidence of old heart attacks, calcified coronaries or aorta
> seen on chest X-ray, or calcified mammary arteries on mammogram.

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

Calcification is a terminal stage of atherosclerosis

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1995 Sep;15(9):1512-31. A definition of
advanced types of atherosclerotic lesions and a histological classification
of atherosclerosis. A report from the Committee on Vascular Lesions of the
Council on Arteriosclerosis, American Heart Association.
Stary HC, Chandler AB, Dinsmore RE, Fuster V, Glagov S, Insull W Jr,
Rosenfeld ME, Schwartz CJ, Wagner WD, Wissler RW.
Office of Scientific Affairs, American Heart Association, Dallas, TX 75231-
4596, USA.

an exerpt from the illustrative reference...

Beginning around the fourth decade of life, lesions that usually have a
lipid core may also contain thick layers of fibrous connective tissue (type
V lesion) and/or fissure, hematoma, and thrombus (type VI lesion). Some
type V lesions are largely calcified (type Vb), and some consist mainly of
fibrous connective tissue and little or no accumulated lipid or calcium
(type Vc).

> Fasting serum glucose greater than 100 +/-

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

you are trying to diagnosis pre-diabetes, not atherosclerosis with serum
glucose.

> LDL greater than 160 and/or HDL less than 40 raises suspicion even if
> there were no stigmata.

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

Some experts believe LDL must be over 100 to be atherogenic

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

J Clin Invest. 2000 Dec;106(12):1501-10. Defining the atherogenicity of
large and small lipoproteins containing apolipoprotein B100.
Veniant MM, Sullivan MA, Kim SK, Ambroziak P, Chu A, Wilson MD, Hellerstein
MK, Rudel LL, Walzem RL, Young SG.
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, Cardiovascular Research
Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA.
[email protected]

> A positive family history is also helpful.

yes, it is helpful, but not diagnostic of atherosclerosis.

> If you have any of the above, it remains my experience, that CIMT
> information is not going to change management.

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

CIMT takes out the guesswork in atherosclerosis management, even in the
most advanced cases. How do you individualize your atherosclerosis
management? With the criteria you have given me? How do you know when you
have reached maximum medical therapy?

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

there are many, many references about the changing criteria for the risk
factor management; lipid, hypertension...

> Moreover, if you have none of
> the above, it would be very unclear what one would do with high CIMT
> numbers without actual clear visualization of a "plaque."

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

CIMT has been shown to increase with progressive atherosclerosis and
decrease with proper treatment of atherosclerosis.

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Stroke. 2003 Oct;34(10):2374-9. Epub 2003 Aug 28.
Risk factors for progression of atherosclerosis measured at multiple sites
in the arterial tree: the Rotterdam Study.
van der Meer IM, Iglesias del Sol A, Hak AE, Bots ML, Hofman A, Witteman
JC.
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus University Medical
Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

and for regression of atherosclerosis with proper treatment...

Arch Intern Med. 2003 Aug 11-25;163(15):1837-41. Regression of carotid and
femoral artery intima-media thickness in familial hypercholesterolemia:
treatment with simvastatin.
Nolting PR, de Groot E, Zwinderman AH, Buirma RJ, Trip MD, Kastelein JJ.
Departments of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, the
Netherlands. [email protected]

an exerpt from the illustrative reference...

CONCLUSIONS: High-dose simvastatin therapy reduces arterial wall IMT in
more than two thirds of the patients, with its largest effect on the
femoral artery. Furthermore, patients with FH who were treated with both
statin and antihypertensive medication experienced a significantly greater
benefit in terms of IMT reduction.

>> Dr. Chaos ... I'm not a researcher
>> in this area of course, but I would see the carotid system as an
>> actual experiment regarding the patient's biochemistry (some of whose
>> factors are measurable) mixed with the specific genetic response.
>>

> Dr. Chung replys:
> That experiment can be found elsewhere as described above.

Dr. Chaos, CIMT is well validated as a measure of atherosclerosis, which as
you have anticipated correctly, is a global process.

>> Dr. Chaos
>> I'd imagine it would be provide more specific information.
>>

> Dr. Chung replys:
> Only if there is actual visualization of "plaque."

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

oh my goodness.. you should really get out of the office more often Dr.
Chung.

>> Dr. Chaos
>> Naturally this is a scientific hypothesis which ought to be tested
>> empirically, but my "prior" says that it could be better.
>>

> Dr. Chung replys:
> See above.

Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:

360,000 patients studied over 9 years proves that CIMT is extremely useful
for understanding atherosclerosis. Don't forget either, that CIMT is
endorsed by the American Heart Association.

Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):

Int J Epidemiol. 2001 Oct;30 Suppl 1:S17-22. Coronary heart disease trends
in four United States communities. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities
(ARIC) study 1987-1996.
Rosamond WD, Folsom AR, Chambless LE, **** CH; ARIC Investigators.
Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities.
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North
Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA. [email protected]

an exerpt from the illustrative reference...

METHOD: The ARIC study used retrospective community surveillance to monitor
admissions to acute care hospitals and deaths due to CHD (both in-and out-
of-hospital) among all residents 35-74 years of age. The surveillance areas
included over 360 000 men and women in four communities: Forsyth County,
North Carolina; the city of Jackson, Mississippi; eight northern suburbs of
Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Washington County, Maryland.

I welcome any comments and questions regarding the clinical validity or
usefullness of Carotid Intima Media Thickness, or CIMT.
~~~
Patrick Blanchard, M.D., A.B.F.P.
Board Certified in Family Practice

*continuation of CRP::MPO::Vulnerable plaques::CIMT thread*

"Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:48:10 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Dr Chaos wrote:

> >> disease

> Dr. Blanchard replys:
>
> you are exactly right, Dr. Chaos, please read on...

> >> CAD
> >> and
> >>
> >> Dr. Chaos ... I would be surprised if that were true.

> Dr. Blanchard replys:
>
> Dr. Chaos, your suspicion is very true, as I address below Dr. Chung's
> reply to you...
>
> > Dr. Chung replys to Dr. Chaos:
> > It remains my experience. There are various stigmata detectable by an
> > astute
> > physician on physical exam that tells that physician that there is
> > atherosclerosis.

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> Even the most experienced physician cannot identify atherosclerosis until
> the late stages of this silent killer,

A heart attack is hardly silent.

> which continues to this day to be
> the number 1 killer and crippler in the united states; more than all
> cancers and accidents combined!

Heart disease does remain a problem.

> > These include characteristic changes of retinal arteries,

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> Atherosclerosis, early and late, cannot be seen in the retinal arteries:
>
> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2000;20:1644.
> Are Retinal Arteriolar Abnormalities Related to Atherosclerosis? The
> Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study Ronald Klein; A. Richey Sharrett;
> Barbara E. K. Klein; Lloyd E. Chambless; Lawton S. Cooper; Larry D.
> Hubbard; Greg Evans
>
> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>
> Arteriolar narrowing and nicking appear to be related to hypertension and
> inflammatory factors. Nicking may also be related to endothelial
> dysfunction. Results suggest that these arteriolar changes are
> pathologically distinct from atherosclerosis. Including their measurement
> in population studies may permit evaluation of the independent contribution
> of arteriolar disease to various ischemic diseases of the heart, brain, and
> other organs.

Retinal arteriolar nicking is not the "characteristic changes" I was referring
to.

Chew on this:

http://tinyurl.com/tjm6

> > cholesterol nodules in the skin (especially around the eyes),

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> ummm, you might be diagnosis asthma instead.
>
> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1993;91:99-125; discussion 125-9. Periocular
> xanthogranulomas associated with severe adult-onset asthma.
> Jakobiec FA, Mills MD, Hidayat AA, Dallow RL, Townsend DJ, Brinker EA,
> Charles NC.
> Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston.

You are missing the xanthomas:

http://tinyurl.com/tjnc

> > bruits,

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> A late manifestation of atherosclerosis.

Maybe so *but* if you hear them, imho CIMT is *not* going to change either your
diagnosis or management.

> If you are screening your patients
> for the vascular surgeon, then you missed the early atherosclerosis boat
> anyway.

Are you asserting that when you hear a bruit that you send your patient to a
vascular surgeon to have the bruit fixed?

> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Obuchowski NA, Modic MT, Magdinec M, Masaryk TJ.
> Assessment of the efficacy of noninvasive screening for patients with
> asymptomatic neck bruits.
> Stroke. 1997 Jul;28(7):1330-9.

This reference does not provide data to support your position that folks with
asymptomatic neck bruits are beyond treatment (ie late-stage atherosclerosis).

> > right/left arm pressure differences, ABIs less than 0.7,

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> you are looking for vascular obstruction caused by atherosclerosis (like
> carotid bruits), and like I replied above, is a late finding in the disease
> process.
>
> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Vasc Med. 2003 May;8(2):95-100. Early-onset peripheral arterial occlusive
> disease: clinical features and determinants of disease severity and
> location.
> Barretto S, Ballman KV, Rooke TW, Kullo IJ.
> Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic,
> Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA.
>
> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>
> Early-onset peripheral lower extremity arterial occlusive disease (PAD) is
> an uncommon, poorly characterized manifestation of atherosclerotic vascular
> disease.

Your reference supports my point that when you have these findings on physical
exam, you've cinched the diagnosis of atherosclerosis and no longer need CIMT.

> > murmur of a sclerotic aortic valve,

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> Sclerosis of the aortic valve is a terminal stage of atherosclerosis, and a
> majority of these patients have already had a stroke or heart attack.
>
> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Am J Cardiol. 2002 May 1;89(9):1030-4. Aortic valve sclerosis, mitral
> annular calcium, and aortic root sclerosis as markers of atherosclerosis in
> men.
> Tolstrup K, Roldan CA, Qualls CR, Crawford MH.
> Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of New Mexico, Albuquerque,
> New Mexico 87108, USA.
>
> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>
> We concluded that the prevalence of AVS, MAC, or ARS by transesophageal
> echocardiography in men is common, and their presence is highly associated
> with aortic atheromatous disease and coronary, carotid, or peripheral
> artery disease.

Where in your reference is data that supports your claim that the majority of
folks with aortic valve sclerosis have already had a stroke or heart attack?

> > loss of hair growth on the lower legs

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> Atherosclerosis does not cause arteriosclerosis.

Arteriosclerosis is an older term for atherosclerosis.

> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Relation of leg hair loss to arteriosclerosis.
> JAMA. 1970 Jul 6;213(1):130. No abstract available.
>
> > ... to name a few.

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> can you share more of them with me?

Your plate is already full. Would be glad to share more once you have
adequately addressed *all* the active issues raised in our current discussions.

> > Other clues
> > include EKG evidence of old heart attacks, calcified coronaries or aorta
> > seen on chest X-ray, or calcified mammary arteries on mammogram.

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> Calcification is a terminal stage of atherosclerosis
>
> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1995 Sep;15(9):1512-31. A definition of
> advanced types of atherosclerotic lesions and a histological classification
> of atherosclerosis. A report from the Committee on Vascular Lesions of the
> Council on Arteriosclerosis, American Heart Association.
> Stary HC, Chandler AB, Dinsmore RE, Fuster V, Glagov S, Insull W Jr,
> Rosenfeld ME, Schwartz CJ, Wagner WD, Wissler RW.
> Office of Scientific Affairs, American Heart Association, Dallas, TX 75231-
> 4596, USA.
>
> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>
> Beginning around the fourth decade of life, lesions that usually have a
> lipid core may also contain thick layers of fibrous connective tissue (type
> V lesion) and/or fissure, hematoma, and thrombus (type VI lesion). Some
> type V lesions are largely calcified (type Vb), and some consist mainly of
> fibrous connective tissue and little or no accumulated lipid or calcium
> (type Vc).

Thank you confirming that these clinical findings would cinch the diagnosis of
atherosclerosis obviating the need for CIMT information.

> > Fasting serum glucose greater than 100 +/-

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> you are trying to diagnosis pre-diabetes, not atherosclerosis with serum
> glucose.

Insulin resistance is essentially risk-equivalent to known coronary
atherosclerosis. Would you not anticipate such an individual with a fasting
glucose of greater than 100 mg/dl to have an increased CIMT?

> > LDL greater than 160 and/or HDL less than 40 raises suspicion even if
> > there were no stigmata.

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> Some experts believe LDL must be over 100 to be atherogenic
>
> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> J Clin Invest. 2000 Dec;106(12):1501-10. Defining the atherogenicity of
> large and small lipoproteins containing apolipoprotein B100.
> Veniant MM, Sullivan MA, Kim SK, Ambroziak P, Chu A, Wilson MD, Hellerstein
> MK, Rudel LL, Walzem RL, Young SG.
> Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, Cardiovascular Research
> Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA.
> [email protected]

Sounds like these authors would concur on the prediction that individuals with
LDL greater than 160 and/or HDL less than 40 likely have critical CIMT thereby
obviating the need for this test.

> > A positive family history is also helpful.

> yes, it is helpful, but not diagnostic of atherosclerosis.

The same as CIMT, imho.

> > If you have any of the above, it remains my experience, that CIMT
> > information is not going to change management.

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> CIMT takes out the guesswork in atherosclerosis management, even in the
> most advanced cases. How do you individualize your atherosclerosis
> management?

By addressing each individual's risk factors for atherosclerosis.

> With the criteria you have given me?

Ditto.

> How do you know when you
> have reached maximum medical therapy?

For the risk factor of isolated LDL elevation, for example, when goal LDL of
less than 100 mg/dl is reached.

> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> there are many, many references about the changing criteria for the risk
> factor management; lipid, hypertension...

There are. None of these recommend CIMT monitoring as a replacement to risk
factor management.

> > Moreover, if you have none of
> > the above, it would be very unclear what one would do with high CIMT
> > numbers without actual clear visualization of a "plaque."

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> CIMT has been shown to increase with progressive atherosclerosis and
> decrease with proper treatment of atherosclerosis.
>
> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Stroke. 2003 Oct;34(10):2374-9. Epub 2003 Aug 28.
> Risk factors for progression of atherosclerosis measured at multiple sites
> in the arterial tree: the Rotterdam Study.
> van der Meer IM, Iglesias del Sol A, Hak AE, Bots ML, Hofman A, Witteman
> JC.
> Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus University Medical
> Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

This reference does not address isolated increased CIMT with no risk factors.

> and for regression of atherosclerosis with proper treatment...
>
> Arch Intern Med. 2003 Aug 11-25;163(15):1837-41. Regression of carotid and
> femoral artery intima-media thickness in familial hypercholesterolemia:
> treatment with simvastatin.
> Nolting PR, de Groot E, Zwinderman AH, Buirma RJ, Trip MD, Kastelein JJ.
> Departments of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, the
> Netherlands. [email protected]
>
> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>
> CONCLUSIONS: High-dose simvastatin therapy reduces arterial wall IMT in
> more than two thirds of the patients, with its largest effect on the
> femoral artery. Furthermore, patients with FH who were treated with both
> statin and antihypertensive medication experienced a significantly greater
> benefit in terms of IMT reduction.

Your reference illustrates how one would address the risk factor rather than
arterial wall IMT in the clinical management of these patients.

> >> Dr. Chaos ... I'm not a researcher
> >> in this area of course, but I would see the carotid system as an
> >> actual experiment regarding the patient's biochemistry (some of whose
> >> factors are measurable) mixed with the specific genetic response.
> >>

> > Dr. Chung replys:
> > That experiment can be found elsewhere as described above.

> Dr. Chaos, CIMT is well validated as a measure of atherosclerosis, which as
> you have anticipated correctly, is a global process.
>

> >> Dr. Chaos
> >> I'd imagine it would be provide more specific information.
> >>

> > Dr. Chung replys:
> > Only if there is actual visualization of "plaque."

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> oh my goodness.. you should really get out of the office more often Dr.
> Chung.

To watch you do a carotid ultrasound on an obese child and then proceed to tell
that child's parents that the child has atherosclerosis because the CIMT is
"critically high" and that the child should be put on a statin right away?

I'll pass.

> >> Dr. Chaos
> >> Naturally this is a scientific hypothesis which ought to be tested
> >> empirically, but my "prior" says that it could be better.
> >>

> > Dr. Chung replys:
> > See above.

> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>
> 360,000 patients studied over 9 years proves that CIMT is extremely useful
> for understanding atherosclerosis.

It is a useful research tool.

> Don't forget either, that CIMT is
> endorsed by the American Heart Association.

Not in the manner that you are using it.

> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>
> Int J Epidemiol. 2001 Oct;30 Suppl 1:S17-22. Coronary heart disease trends
> in four United States communities. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities
> (ARIC) study 1987-1996.
> Rosamond WD, Folsom AR, Chambless LE, **** CH; ARIC Investigators.
> Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities.
> Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North
> Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA. [email protected]
>
> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>
> METHOD: The ARIC study used retrospective community surveillance to monitor
> admissions to acute care hospitals and deaths due to CHD (both in-and out-
> of-hospital) among all residents 35-74 years of age. The surveillance areas
> included over 360 000 men and women in four communities: Forsyth County,
> North Carolina; the city of Jackson, Mississippi; eight northern suburbs of
> Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Washington County, Maryland.

What does this have to do with AHA's endorsement of CIMT as a useful surrogate
marker for atherosclerosis.

> I welcome any comments and questions regarding the clinical validity or
> usefullness of Carotid Intima Media Thickness, or CIMT.

Care to comment on:

http://tinyurl.com/tjkc

?

Sounds like simply knowing that a person has a high BMI means you can
anticipate a large CIMT value.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com

Although you knowlegeably address treatment and diagnosis of
atherosclerosis in the advanced stages, you are weakly addressing the
diagnosis of pre-clinical (your term) atherosclerosis. You appear to be
becoming angry with your comment...

> To watch you do a carotid ultrasound on an obese child and then proceed
> to tell
> that child's parents that the child has atherosclerosis because the CIMT
> is
> "critically high" and that the child should be put on a statin right
> away?
>
> I'll pass.

You are confusing carotid ultrasound for clinically significant carotid
artery stenosis for CIMT. I do not place children on statin therapy. I do
not "proceed to tell the child's parents that the child has "critically
high" CIMT" in an alarmist fashion either. As to your other weakly
positioned statements, I have addressed them below...

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:16:13 GMT, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:48:10 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Dr. Blanchard replys:
>>
>> you are exactly right, Dr. Chaos, please read on...

>> EKG,

>> Dr. Blanchard replys:
>>
>> Dr. Chaos, your suspicion is very true, as I address below Dr. Chung's
>> reply to you...
>>
>> > Dr. Chung replys to Dr. Chaos:
>> > It remains my experience. There are various stigmata detectable by an
>> > astute
>> > physician on physical exam that tells that physician that there is
>> > atherosclerosis.

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> Even the most experienced physician cannot identify atherosclerosis
>> until
>> the late stages of this silent killer,

> A heart attack is hardly silent.

Atherosclerosis is known as a 'silent killer' because the decades long
progression of atherosclerosis is symptom free, or silent. You are correct,
the end result, after atherosclerosis has advanced in severity, is a very
tragic and painful result.

>> which continues to this day to be
>> the number 1 killer and crippler in the united states; more than all
>> cancers and accidents combined!
>>

> Heart disease does remain a problem.

Atherosclerosis is the number one killer and crippler, not just another
problem.

>> > These include characteristic changes of retinal arteries,

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> Atherosclerosis, early and late, cannot be seen in the retinal arteries:
>>
>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2000;20:1644.
>> Are Retinal Arteriolar Abnormalities Related to Atherosclerosis? The
>> Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study Ronald Klein; A. Richey
>> Sharrett;
>> Barbara E. K. Klein; Lloyd E. Chambless; Lawton S. Cooper; Larry D.
>> Hubbard; Greg Evans
>>
>> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>>
>> Arteriolar narrowing and nicking appear to be related to hypertension
>> and
>> inflammatory factors. Nicking may also be related to endothelial
>> dysfunction. Results suggest that these arteriolar changes are
>> pathologically distinct from atherosclerosis. Including their
>> measurement
>> in population studies may permit evaluation of the independent
>> contribution
>> of arteriolar disease to various ischemic diseases of the heart, brain,
>> and
>> other organs.
>>

> Retinal arteriolar nicking is not the "characteristic changes" I was
> referring
> to.
>
> Chew on this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/tjm6

I did, and small vessel disease is not an indication of atherosclerosis.
Again, you are confusing increased CIMT with arteriolar, small vessel
changes. Arteriolar changes do not occur from the same biochemical process
as does atherosclerosis. Your article only further emphasizes your
misconceptions about the pathophysiology of atherosclerosis.

>> > cholesterol nodules in the skin (especially around the eyes),

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> ummm, you might be diagnosis asthma instead.
>>
>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1993;91:99-125; discussion 125-9. Periocular
>> xanthogranulomas associated with severe adult-onset asthma.
>> Jakobiec FA, Mills MD, Hidayat AA, Dallow RL, Townsend DJ, Brinker EA,
>> Charles NC.
>> Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston.
>>

> You are missing the xanthomas:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/tjnc

you are getting desperate
an exerpt from your illustrative reference...
The purpose of this study was to examine the molecular pathogenesis of ARH
in Japanese siblings.

>> > bruits,

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> A late manifestation of atherosclerosis.

> Maybe so *but* if you hear them, imho CIMT is *not* going to change
> either your
> diagnosis or management.

It will mine, maybe not yours, but certainly mine.

>> If you are screening your patients
>> for the vascular surgeon, then you missed the early atherosclerosis boat
>> anyway.

> Are you asserting that when you hear a bruit that you send your patient
> to a
> vascular surgeon to have the bruit fixed?

no

>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Obuchowski NA, Modic MT, Magdinec M, Masaryk TJ.
>> Assessment of the efficacy of noninvasive screening for patients with
>> asymptomatic neck bruits.
>> Stroke. 1997 Jul;28(7):1330-9.
>>

> This reference does not provide data to support your position that folks
> with
> asymptomatic neck bruits are beyond treatment (ie late-stage
> atherosclerosis).

It has never been my position that people with asymptomatic neck bruits are
beyond treatment. Atherosclerosis can be properly managed at all stages of
the disease, including advanced.

>> > right/left arm pressure differences, ABIs less than 0.7,

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> you are looking for vascular obstruction caused by atherosclerosis (like
>> carotid bruits), and like I replied above, is a late finding in the
>> disease
>> process.
>>
>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Vasc Med. 2003 May;8(2):95-100. Early-onset peripheral arterial
>> occlusive
>> disease: clinical features and determinants of disease severity and
>> location.
>> Barretto S, Ballman KV, Rooke TW, Kullo IJ.
>> Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic,
>> Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA.
>>
>> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>>
>> Early-onset peripheral lower extremity arterial occlusive disease (PAD)
>> is
>> an uncommon, poorly characterized manifestation of atherosclerotic
>> vascular
>> disease.
>>

> Your reference supports my point that when you have these findings on
> physical
> exam, you've cinched the diagnosis of atherosclerosis and no longer need
> CIMT.

It points to the issue of ABIs as a late manifestation of atherosclerosis,
and a poor one at that.

>> > murmur of a sclerotic aortic valve,

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> Sclerosis of the aortic valve is a terminal stage of atherosclerosis,
>> and a
>> majority of these patients have already had a stroke or heart attack.
>>
>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Am J Cardiol. 2002 May 1;89(9):1030-4. Aortic valve sclerosis, mitral
>> annular calcium, and aortic root sclerosis as markers of atherosclerosis
>> in
>> men.
>> Tolstrup K, Roldan CA, Qualls CR, Crawford MH.
>> Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of New Mexico,
>> Albuquerque,
>> New Mexico 87108, USA.
>>
>> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>>
>> We concluded that the prevalence of AVS, MAC, or ARS by transesophageal
>> echocardiography in men is common, and their presence is highly
>> associated
>> with aortic atheromatous disease and coronary, carotid, or peripheral
>> artery disease.
>>

> Where in your reference is data that supports your claim that the
> majority of
> folks with aortic valve sclerosis have already had a stroke or heart
> attack?

It doesn't, it supports that aortic valve sclerosis is a late manifestation
of atherosclerosis. However, a majority of people have their heart attack
and stroke by the time they reach the advanced stages of atherosclerosis.

>> > loss of hair growth on the lower legs

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> Atherosclerosis does not cause arteriosclerosis.
>>

> Arteriosclerosis is an older term for atherosclerosis.

Yes, discovered by Leonardo DaVinci. Have you read his teachings?

>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Relation of leg hair loss to arteriosclerosis.
>> JAMA. 1970 Jul 6;213(1):130. No abstract available.
>>
>> > ... to name a few.

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> can you share more of them with me?
>>

> Your plate is already full. Would be glad to share more once you have
> adequately addressed *all* the active issues raised in our current
> discussions.

I'm just warming up.

>> > Other clues
>> > include EKG evidence of old heart attacks, calcified coronaries or

>> aorta
>> > seen on chest X-ray, or calcified mammary arteries on mammogram.

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> Calcification is a terminal stage of atherosclerosis
>>
>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1995 Sep;15(9):1512-31. A definition of
>> advanced types of atherosclerotic lesions and a histological
>> classification
>> of atherosclerosis. A report from the Committee on Vascular Lesions of
>> the
>> Council on Arteriosclerosis, American Heart Association.
>> Stary HC, Chandler AB, Dinsmore RE, Fuster V, Glagov S, Insull W Jr,
>> Rosenfeld ME, Schwartz CJ, Wagner WD, Wissler RW.
>> Office of Scientific Affairs, American Heart Association, Dallas, TX
>> 75231-
>> 4596, USA.
>>
>> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>>
>> Beginning around the fourth decade of life, lesions that usually have a
>> lipid core may also contain thick layers of fibrous connective tissue
>> (type
>> V lesion) and/or fissure, hematoma, and thrombus (type VI lesion). Some
>> type V lesions are largely calcified (type Vb), and some consist mainly
>> of
>> fibrous connective tissue and little or no accumulated lipid or calcium
>> (type Vc).
>>

> Thank you confirming that these clinical findings would cinch the
> diagnosis of
> atherosclerosis obviating the need for CIMT information.

I am not confirming your statement. Calcification is a late stage of
atherosclerosis, preceeded by decades of silent disease, during which time
it is reversible.

>> > Fasting serum glucose greater than 100 +/-

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> you are trying to diagnosis pre-diabetes, not atherosclerosis with serum
>> glucose.
>>

> Insulin resistance is essentially risk-equivalent to known coronary
> atherosclerosis. Would you not anticipate such an individual with a
> fasting
> glucose of greater than 100 mg/dl to have an increased CIMT?

The issue is not 'insulin-resistance risk-equivalent to known coronary
atherosclerosis' in this thread. I would like a debate on the usefulness of
CIMT as an indicator of diabetic management, however.

>> > LDL greater than 160 and/or HDL less than 40 raises suspicion even if
>> > there were no stigmata.

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> Some experts believe LDL must be over 100 to be atherogenic
>>
>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> J Clin Invest. 2000 Dec;106(12):1501-10. Defining the atherogenicity of
>> large and small lipoproteins containing apolipoprotein B100.
>> Veniant MM, Sullivan MA, Kim SK, Ambroziak P, Chu A, Wilson MD,
>> Hellerstein
>> MK, Rudel LL, Walzem RL, Young SG.
>> Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, Cardiovascular Research
>> Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA.
>> [email protected]
>>

> Sounds like these authors would concur on the prediction that individuals
> with
> LDL greater than 160 and/or HDL less than 40 likely have critical CIMT
> thereby
> obviating the need for this test.

No, they are not concurring with you, unless you speak for them on this
forum.

>> > A positive family history is also helpful.

>> yes, it is helpful, but not diagnostic of atherosclerosis.
>>

> The same as CIMT, imho.

I see, afterall, it is your opinion.

>> > If you have any of the above, it remains my experience, that CIMT
>> > information is not going to change management.

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> CIMT takes out the guesswork in atherosclerosis management, even in the
>> most advanced cases. How do you individualize your atherosclerosis
>> management?

> By addressing each individual's risk factors for atherosclerosis.
>
>> With the criteria you have given me?

> Ditto.
>
>> How do you know when you
>> have reached maximum medical therapy?
>>

> For the risk factor of isolated LDL elevation, for example, when goal LDL
> of
> less than 100 mg/dl is reached.

And this criteria is set in stone, for every patient you see, from now
until you retire?

>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> there are many, many references about the changing criteria for the risk
>> factor management; lipid, hypertension...
>>

> There are. None of these recommend CIMT monitoring as a replacement to
> risk
> factor management.

so the guesswork for atherosclerotic burden can continue?

CIMT is an actual measure of atherosclerosis, not a risk factor.

>> > Moreover, if you have none of
>> > the above, it would be very unclear what one would do with high CIMT
>> > numbers without actual clear visualization of a "plaque."

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> CIMT has been shown to increase with progressive atherosclerosis and
>> decrease with proper treatment of atherosclerosis.
>>
>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Stroke. 2003 Oct;34(10):2374-9. Epub 2003 Aug 28.
>> Risk factors for progression of atherosclerosis measured at multiple
>> sites
>> in the arterial tree: the Rotterdam Study.
>> van der Meer IM, Iglesias del Sol A, Hak AE, Bots ML, Hofman A, Witteman
>> JC.
>> Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus University Medical
>> Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
>>

> This reference does not address isolated increased CIMT with no risk
> factors.

Do you mean to tell me that you know all the risk factors for next year?
How about in ten years? CIMT measures global atherosclerosis, not the risk
factors that cause atherosclerosis. You are revealing your ignorance with
CIMT.

>> and for regression of atherosclerosis with proper treatment...
>>
>> Arch Intern Med. 2003 Aug 11-25;163(15):1837-41. Regression of carotid
>> and
>> femoral artery intima-media thickness in familial hypercholesterolemia:
>> treatment with simvastatin.
>> Nolting PR, de Groot E, Zwinderman AH, Buirma RJ, Trip MD, Kastelein JJ.
>> Departments of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam,
>> the
>> Netherlands. [email protected]
>>
>> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>>
>> CONCLUSIONS: High-dose simvastatin therapy reduces arterial wall IMT in
>> more than two thirds of the patients, with its largest effect on the
>> femoral artery. Furthermore, patients with FH who were treated with both
>> statin and antihypertensive medication experienced a significantly
>> greater
>> benefit in terms of IMT reduction.
>>

> Your reference illustrates how one would address the risk factor rather
> than
> arterial wall IMT in the clinical management of these patients.

Proper atherosclerosis therapy is properly individualized, and CIMT can
help individualization.

>> > Dr. Chung replys:
>> > That experiment can be found elsewhere as described above.

>> Dr. Chaos, CIMT is well validated as a measure of atherosclerosis, which
>> as
>> you have anticipated correctly, is a global process.

>> > Dr. Chung replys:
>> > Only if there is actual visualization of "plaque."

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> oh my goodness.. you should really get out of the office more often Dr.
>> Chung.
>>

> To watch you do a carotid ultrasound on an obese child and then proceed
> to tell
> that child's parents that the child has atherosclerosis because the CIMT
> is
> "critically high" and that the child should be put on a statin right
> away?
>
> I'll pass.

me too.

>> > Dr. Chung replys:
>> > See above.

>> Dr. Blanchard disagrees in reply:
>>
>> 360,000 patients studied over 9 years proves that CIMT is extremely
>> useful
>> for understanding atherosclerosis.

> It is a useful research tool.

And research tools never become clinical tools?

>> Don't forget either, that CIMT is
>> endorsed by the American Heart Association.
>>

> Not in the manner that you are using it.

My protocol exceeds the accuracy endorsed by the American Heart Association
by a long shot.

>> Illustrative reference (www.pubmed.gov):
>>
>> Int J Epidemiol. 2001 Oct;30 Suppl 1:S17-22. Coronary heart disease
>> trends
>> in four United States communities. The Atherosclerosis Risk in
>> Communities
>> (ARIC) study 1987-1996.
>> Rosamond WD, Folsom AR, Chambless LE, **** CH; ARIC Investigators.
>> Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities.
>> Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North
>> Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA. [email protected]
>>
>> an exerpt from the illustrative reference...
>>
>> METHOD: The ARIC study used retrospective community surveillance to
>> monitor
>> admissions to acute care hospitals and deaths due to CHD (both in-and
>> out-
>> of-hospital) among all residents 35-74 years of age. The surveillance
>> areas
>> included over 360 000 men and women in four communities: Forsyth County,
>> North Carolina; the city of Jackson, Mississippi; eight northern suburbs
>> of
>> Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Washington County, Maryland.
>>

> What does this have to do with AHA's endorsement of CIMT as a useful
> surrogate
> marker for atherosclerosis.

You will have to ask the writing group of the AHA committee, or read the
study yourself.

>> I welcome any comments and questions regarding the clinical validity or
>> usefullness of Carotid Intima Media Thickness, or CIMT.
>>

> Care to comment on:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/tjkc
>
> ?
>
> Sounds like simply knowing that a person has a high BMI means you can
> anticipate a large CIMT value.

perhaps you could begin such a study (ARIC was 360,000 patients for almost
10 years).

an exerpt from your illustrative reference...
Change in body mass index from adolescence to young adulthood and increased
carotid intima-media thickness at 28 years of age: The Atherosclerosis Risk
in Young Adults study (ARIC).

--
~~~

"Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> <snip>...Have you forgotton my prior comments? I recommend the study for individuals
> 30 years of age and older, not for infants. Many studies have validated
> CIMT for children and adolescents however, and histological studies are a
> useful tool for further understanding.

Why don't you recommend CIMT measurements for infants or children?

> <snip>...I am not biased against warning people about high BMI, have the formula for
> rapid calculation on my tungsten palm, but am not fixated on a technique
> with too many confounders to make it a reliable tool for individualization
> of proper atherosclerosis management. Yesterday I completed a CIMT
> evaluation on a 56 year old patient that has acceptable range lipids,
> normal blood pressure, does not smoke, and a BMI of 22.6 to boot. Yet his
> CIMT places him in a catagory for aggressive atherosclerosis therapy.

What was the indication for CIMT evaluation? CAD screening?

What was the post-test diagnosis?

> My BMI is 23.3

Good.

So why the aversion to advising folks on how to lose weight?

> <snip>...If you think I am exaggerating, just ask any one of the victims of
> atherosclerosis,

Those victims are my patients, Patrick.

> <snip>
> > A person present with audible carotid bruits:
> >
> > High CIMT - carotid atherosclerosis
> >
> > Low CIMT - carotid atherosclerosis

> How would you manage the example of the patient presented above?

Aggressive CAD risk reduction.

> <snip>...""Would be glad to share more once you have adequately addressed *all* the
> active issues raised in our current discussions."
>
> Lets finish the endgame and not toss the board in the air.

We're still in the mid-game.

> <snip>
> > It is a surrogate marker for atherosclerosis rather than an actual
> > measure.

> CIMT is an actual measure of atheroslcerosis, not a surrogate marker, and
> not simply another risk factor.

If CIMT were, high CIMT values would not be found in infants. Have you ever heard of an infant
dying from an MI?

> <snip>...I do not ignore BMI

That's not how it appears.

> , but I am not fixated on it.

That is clear.

> <snip>
> > Not ime.

> yes, this is your opinion, not experience.

It remains my experience.

> <snip>
> > Glad to hear it.

> You are distorting reality.

By being glad?

> <snip>...
> >> And research tools never become clinical tools?
> >>

> > Some don't ever. A good example would be the bomb calorimeter.

> Some do, like MRI, CT, Ultrasound, ....

Asked and answered.

> <snip>...
> > Why would anyone conduct a high-powered study to look at a large effect?

> for starters, because it might be an important issue.

Perhaps someone else can chime in about this point.

> >> an exerpt from your illustrative reference...
> >> Change in body mass index from adolescence to young adulthood and
> >> increased
> >> carotid intima-media thickness at 28 years of age: The Atherosclerosis
> >> Risk
> >> in Young Adults study (ARIC).
> >>

> > This was not an ARIC study. Why would you want to pass it off as one?

> errata:
> My draft comments to the post were not removed; I was making a note to
> compare it to the ARIC study.

Ok.

Humbly,

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:59:46 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:
>
>> <snip>...Have you forgotton my prior comments? I recommend the study for
>> individuals
>> 30 years of age and older, not for infants. Many studies have validated
>> CIMT for children and adolescents however, and histological studies are
>> useful tool for further understanding.
>>

> Why don't you recommend CIMT measurements for infants or children?

Thank goodness atherosclerosis is reversible. A young adult in their 30's
should be capable of slowing, halting, or reversing atherosclerosis. The
treatment options are difficult enough for an adult to understand and we
cannot look at infants and children as simply 'little adults'.

You may be familiar with AUTREC.

http://www.autrec.com

These are the people who helped me understand the importance of protocol.

>> <snip>...I am not biased against warning people about high BMI, have the
>> formula for
>> rapid calculation on my tungsten palm, but am not fixated on a technique
>> with too many confounders to make it a reliable tool for
>> individualization
>> of proper atherosclerosis management. Yesterday I completed a CIMT
>> evaluation on a 56 year old patient that has acceptable range lipids,
>> normal blood pressure, does not smoke, and a BMI of 22.6 to boot. Yet
>> his
>> CIMT places him in a catagory for aggressive atherosclerosis therapy.
>>

> What was the indication for CIMT evaluation? CAD screening?

To understand the amount of atherosclerosis present in their arteries, and
to help them develop a plan of individualized atherosclerosis management.

> What was the post-test diagnosis?

His CIMT is over the 95th percentile adjusted for age, gender, and race.

>> My BMI is 23.3
>>

> Good.
>
> So why the aversion to advising folks on how to lose weight?

Why should I debate you on the issue?

>> <snip>...If you think I am exaggerating, just ask any one of the victims
>> of
>> atherosclerosis,

> Those victims are my patients, Patrick.
>
>> <snip>
>> > A person present with audible carotid bruits:
>> >
>> > High CIMT - carotid atherosclerosis
>> >
>> > Low CIMT - carotid atherosclerosis

>> How would you manage the example of the patient presented above?
>>

> Aggressive CAD risk reduction.

How do you define aggressive CAD risk reduction? When do you decide to
change your criteria? How much do you encourage compliance despite
medication side effects that may develop on an aggressive program?

>> <snip>...""Would be glad to share more once you have adequately
>> addressed *all* the
>> active issues raised in our current discussions."
>>
>> Lets finish the endgame and not toss the board in the air.
>>

> We're still in the mid-game.
>
>> <snip>
>> > It is a surrogate marker for atherosclerosis rather than an actual
>> > measure.

>> CIMT is an actual measure of atheroslcerosis, not a surrogate marker,
>> and
>> not simply another risk factor.
>>

> If CIMT were, high CIMT values would not be found in infants. Have you
> ever heard of an infant
> dying from an MI?

Diffuse intimal thickening does not cause thrombus formation, this is why
infants don't die from heart attacks and strokes.

Atherosclerosis does not cause an infant to have a heart attack, even
though they may have intimal thickening of the coronary arteries. The
intima is a biologically active tissue, and can fluctuate depending upon
the toxicity of the vascular environment. CIMT has not been validated for
infants.

>> <snip>...I do not ignore BMI

> That's not how it appears.
>
>> , but I am not fixated on it.

> That is clear.
>
>> <snip>
>> > Not ime.

>> yes, this is your opinion, not experience.
>>

> It remains my experience.
>
>> <snip>
>> > Glad to hear it.

>> You are distorting reality.
>>

> By being glad?
>
>> <snip>...
>> >>

>> > Some don't ever. A good example would be the bomb calorimeter.

>> Some do, like MRI, CT, Ultrasound, ....
>>

> Asked and answered.

incompletely.

--
~~~
http://www.familydoctor.org/blanchard

"Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:59:46 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:
> >
> >> <snip>...Have you forgotton my prior comments? I recommend the study for
> >> individuals
> >> 30 years of age and older, not for infants. Many studies have validated
> >> CIMT for children and adolescents however, and histological studies are
> >> useful tool for further understanding.
> >>

> > Why don't you recommend CIMT measurements for infants or children?

> Thank goodness atherosclerosis is reversible. A young adult in their 30's
> should be capable of slowing, halting, or reversing atherosclerosis.

Yes.

> The
> treatment options are difficult enough for an adult to understand and we
> cannot look at infants and children as simply 'little adults'.

I don't.

> You may be familiar with AUTREC.
>
> http://www.autrec.com

I am.

> These are the people who helped me understand the importance of protocol.

Good.

> >> <snip>...I am not biased against warning people about high BMI, have the
> >> formula for
> >> rapid calculation on my tungsten palm, but am not fixated on a technique
> >> with too many confounders to make it a reliable tool for
> >> individualization
> >> of proper atherosclerosis management. Yesterday I completed a CIMT
> >> evaluation on a 56 year old patient that has acceptable range lipids,
> >> normal blood pressure, does not smoke, and a BMI of 22.6 to boot. Yet
> >> his
> >> CIMT places him in a catagory for aggressive atherosclerosis therapy.
> >>

> > What was the indication for CIMT evaluation? CAD screening?

> To understand the amount of atherosclerosis present in their arteries, and
> to help them develop a plan of individualized atherosclerosis management.

Sounds like screening.

> > What was the post-test diagnosis?

> His CIMT is over the 95th percentile adjusted for age, gender, and race.

Sounds like a positive finding. Does he have atherosclerosis?

> >> My BMI is 23.3
> >>

> > Good.
> >
> > So why the aversion to advising folks on how to lose weight?
> >

> Why should I debate you on the issue?

Simply a question. Give me a believable answer and there won't be any debate.

> >> <snip>...If you think I am exaggerating, just ask any one of the victims
> >> of
> >> atherosclerosis,

> > Those victims are my patients, Patrick.
> >
> >> <snip>

> >> How would you manage the example of the patient presented above?
> >>

> > Aggressive CAD risk reduction.

> How do you define aggressive CAD risk reduction?

Lower BMI to 20.

Lower LDL to less than 100 mg/dl

Lower Trigs to less than 150 mg/dl

Raise HDL to greater than 45 mg/dl

Stop cigarettes.

Start regular exercise.

Keep fasting glucose under 100 mg/dl.

Keep resting systolic pressure under 115 mmHg.

Brush and floss teeth after each meal.

Avoid hyperketonemia.

Get plenty of B12, B6, and folate.

> When do you decide to
> change your criteria?

When there is data to support the change.

> How much do you encourage compliance despite
> medication side effects that may develop on an aggressive program?

That's where the individualization of treatment occurs.

> <snip>
>
> Diffuse intimal thickening does not cause thrombus formation, this is why
> infants don't die from heart attacks and strokes.

Atherosclerosis *does*

> Atherosclerosis does not cause an infant to have a heart attack, even
> though they may have intimal thickening of the coronary arteries.

Sounds like infants don't get atherosclerossis then.

> The
> intima is a biologically active tissue, and can fluctuate depending upon
> the toxicity of the vascular environment. CIMT has not been validated for
> infants.

Why not?

Humbly,

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Get plenty of B12, B6, and folate.

Would you mind offering your opinion as to the specific quantities of
each? (if it makes a difference, male, 170 lbs.)

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 02:20:24 GMT, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:59:46 -0500, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> for

>> validated

>> are
>> >>

>> > Why don't you recommend CIMT measurements for infants or children?

>> Thank goodness atherosclerosis is reversible. A young adult in their
>> 30's
>> should be capable of slowing, halting, or reversing atherosclerosis.

> Yes.
>
>> The
>> treatment options are difficult enough for an adult to understand and we
>> cannot look at infants and children as simply 'little adults'.

> I don't.
>

>> You may be familiar with AUTREC.
>>
>> http://www.autrec.com
>>

> I am.
>

>> These are the people who helped me understand the importance of
>> protocol.

> Good.

>> the

>> technique
>> >>

>> > What was the indication for CIMT evaluation? CAD screening?

>> To understand the amount of atherosclerosis present in their arteries,
>> and
>> to help them develop a plan of individualized atherosclerosis
>> management.
>>

> Sounds like screening.

It is an examination of atherosclerosis.

>> > What was the post-test diagnosis?

>> His CIMT is over the 95th percentile adjusted for age, gender, and race.
>>

> Sounds like a positive finding. Does he have atherosclerosis?

yes.

>> > Good.
>> >
>> > So why the aversion to advising folks on how to lose weight?
>> >

>> Why should I debate you on the issue?

> Simply a question. Give me a believable answer and there won't be any
> debate.

Because debating you on the issue of weight loss is something that I do not
want to do, as I have mentioned before.

>> victims
>> >
>> > Those victims are my patients, Patrick.

>> > Aggressive CAD risk reduction.

>> How do you define aggressive CAD risk reduction?

> Lower BMI to 20.
>
> Lower LDL to less than 100 mg/dl
>
> Lower Trigs to less than 150 mg/dl
>
> Raise HDL to greater than 45 mg/dl
>
> Stop cigarettes.
>
> Start regular exercise.
>
> Keep fasting glucose under 100 mg/dl.
>
> Keep resting systolic pressure under 115 mmHg.
>
> Brush and floss teeth after each meal.
>
> Avoid hyperketonemia.
>
> Get plenty of B12, B6, and folate.

These are all standardized goals, and I cannot dispute the majority of
them, but do all your patients reach this goal, every day, all year long,
for the rest of their life?

>> When do you decide to
>> change your criteria?

> When there is data to support the change.

And how much data is enough data for you to make these changes?

>> How much do you encourage compliance despite
>> medication side effects that may develop on an aggressive program?

> That's where the individualization of treatment occurs.

I completely agree with you.

>> <snip>
>>
>> Diffuse intimal thickening does not cause thrombus formation, this is
>> why
>> infants don't die from heart attacks and strokes.

> Atherosclerosis *does*
>

>> Atherosclerosis does not cause an infant to have a heart attack, even
>> though they may have intimal thickening of the coronary arteries.

> Sounds like infants don't get atherosclerossis then.

That depends on your definition of atherosclerosis.

>> The
>> intima is a biologically active tissue, and can fluctuate depending upon
>> the toxicity of the vascular environment. CIMT has not been validated
>> for
>> infants.

> Why not?

This is a great question, and I don't have the answer.

> Humbly,
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> Board-Certified Cardiologist
> http://www.heartmdphd.com

Regards,
Patrick

--
~~~

Owen Lowe wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Get plenty of B12, B6, and folate.

> Would you mind offering your opinion as to the specific quantities of
> each? (if it makes a difference, male, 170 lbs.)

Folate: at least 1000 mcg
B12: at least 100 mcg
B6: at least 10 mg

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:24:52 GMT in article
<[email protected]> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung,
MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Owen Lowe wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Get plenty of B12, B6, and folate.

>> Would you mind offering your opinion as to the specific quantities of
>> each? (if it makes a difference, male, 170 lbs.)

>Folate: at least 1000 mcg
>B12: at least 100 mcg
>B6: at least 10 mg

What mcg? You probably mean µg ;-).

--
Matti Narkia

"Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 02:20:24 GMT, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Patrick Blanchard, M.D." wrote:

> >> for
> >> validated
> >> are

> >> Thank goodness atherosclerosis is reversible. A young adult in their
> >> 30's
> >> should be capable of slowing, halting, or reversing atherosclerosis.

> > Yes.
> >
> >> The
> >> treatment options are difficult enough for an adult to understand and we
> >> cannot look at infants and children as simply 'little adults'.

> > I don't.
> >

> >> You may be familiar with AUTREC.
> >>
> >> http://www.autrec.com
> >>

> > I am.
> >

> >> These are the people who helped me understand the importance of
> >> protocol.

> > Good.

> >> the
> >> technique

> >> To understand the amount of atherosclerosis present in their arteries,
> >> and
> >> to help them develop a plan of individualized atherosclerosis
> >> management.
> >>

> > Sounds like screening.

> It is an examination of atherosclerosis.

Is someone with "zero" CAD risk factors, the pretest diagnosis should have been
"no atherosclerosis".

Most folks would call that screening.

> >> His CIMT is over the 95th percentile adjusted for age, gender, and race.
> >>

> > Sounds like a positive finding. Does he have atherosclerosis?

> yes.

Does he now carry that diagnosis in the claims that you file with his
insurance?

> >> Why should I debate you on the issue?

> > Simply a question. Give me a believable answer and there won't be any
> > debate.

> Because debating you on the issue of weight loss is something that I do not
> want to do, as I have mentioned before.

<raised eyebrow>

Why not?

> >> victims

> >> How do you define aggressive CAD risk reduction?

> > Lower BMI to 20.
> >
> > Lower LDL to less than 100 mg/dl
> >
> > Lower Trigs to less than 150 mg/dl
> >
> > Raise HDL to greater than 45 mg/dl
> >
> > Stop cigarettes.
> >
> > Start regular exercise.
> >
> > Keep fasting glucose under 100 mg/dl.
> >
> > Keep resting systolic pressure under 115 mmHg.
> >
> > Brush and floss teeth after each meal.
> >
> > Avoid hyperketonemia.
> >
> > Get plenty of B12, B6, and folate.

> These are all standardized goals, and I cannot dispute the majority of
> them, but do all your patients reach this goal, every day, all year long,
> for the rest of their life?

They are either on their way or there already.

As for the rest of their lives... that is the plan.

> >> When do you decide to
> >> change your criteria?

> > When there is data to support the change.

> And how much data is enough data for you to make these changes?

It's not the quantity of data that matters but the quality. Because of my
extensive research training and continued research interests in vascular
biology, my cardiology practice is blessed with that "edge".

> >> How much do you encourage compliance despite
> >> medication side effects that may develop on an aggressive program?

> > That's where the individualization of treatment occurs.

> I completely agree with you.

Sounds like we are finding some common ground (at last :).

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Diffuse intimal thickening does not cause thrombus formation, this is
> >> why
> >> infants don't die from heart attacks and strokes.

> > Atherosclerosis *does*
> >

> >> Atherosclerosis does not cause an infant to have a heart attack, even
> >> though they may have intimal thickening of the coronary arteries.

> > Sounds like infants don't get atherosclerossis then.
> >

> That depends on your definition of atherosclerosis.

It should be clear to folks who are following our discourse that we differ on
that definition.

> >> The
> >> intima is a biologically active tissue, and can fluctuate depending upon
> >> the toxicity of the vascular environment. CIMT has not been validated
> >> for
> >> infants.

> > Why not?

> This is a great question, and I don't have the answer.

The folks in vascular biology looking into intimal thickening at the molecular
level have a real problem with fetuses, neonates, and infants having
atherosclerosis. I write from firsthand experience.

Humbly,

Andrew