Zonda vs Eurus

catlike

Jun 21, 2007
I am currently loking for first wheelset. I am considering compagnolo wheels (as i read many positive feedbacks on them in this forum, and there are not much wheel dealers aroud the place I live in (Compa, Mavic, Tufo and that is all)). But I am confused about diference between Zonda and Eurus wheels (08 range). They look similar, and weight diference for me seems to be relative small. They both use diferent rims height for front and rear wheels, and both use G3 for rear wheel. Still the price diference ia about 400$ (Zonda 300GBP, Eurus 500 GBP). Is it worth to pay extra for Eurus that much? Will Eurus be significantly better?

Eurus use aluminum spokes, Zonda use stainless steel spokes, hence the slightly higher weight.

They have diference machined profiling as well. Eurus may still use a little bit of Ti in the hubs.

Both great wheels, zondas being far better value. The spokes can be expensive, but I'm guessing the Eurus spokes are far more expensive and break more often.

From the reviews around where and other forums campy and easton seem to make the best most reliable prebuilt wheels.

I have the 2005 Eurus' (stainless spokes). They are outstanding all around wheels from a performance and durability standpoint. A riding buddy of mine has the 2006 version and complains that they are not stiff enough. he's not a big guy either.

If I had to choose between those 2, I would personally go for the Zonda.
Why? Because the Zondas still use steel spokes rather than the Ksyriduculousum-style aluminum spokes. There's no reason to use alu spokes - they offer nothing except a higher probability of failure, short lifespan, and more expense for replacing said spokes if something occurs. The hubs on the Zondas are just about as good (Chorus - well, now, Centaur-quality), and the weight difference will not be perceptible. Aerodynamics (or lack thereof :rolleyes: ) should be about the same, or perhaps even better, for the Zonda as the aforementioned spokes will be narrower. Unfortunately, in recent years it looks like Campy's kidnapped some of Mavic's marketing department guys and had them spill their guts about Mavic's Superior Wheel Technology(tm) :rolleyes: