Zucchini Oatmeal cookies

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jarkat2002, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    A few days ago I had Zucchini Oatmeal cookies ... anyone
    have a recipe? If the recipe has no dairy that would be even
    better. TIA! ~Kat

    www.marchforchoice.org

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(Jarkat2002) writes:
    >
    >A few days ago I had Zucchini Oatmeal cookies ... anyone
    >have a recipe? If the recipe has no dairy that would be
    >even better.

    Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies

    3/4 cup soft margarine 1 cup sugar 1 egg 2 tsp. cinnamon
    4/2 tsp. baking soda
    5/4 tsp. nutmeg 1 cup grated zucchini 1-1/2 cups flour
    6/2 tsp. salt 2 cups oats
    7/2 cup raisins and/or 1/2 cup nuts

    Mix together margarine, sugar and egg. Cream well. Add other
    ingredients and mix until all are blended. Bake at 400
    degrees for 12-15 minutes.

    Source: rec.food.cooking, rec.food.recipes
    ---

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies

    Thank you Sheldon ... I will be making these w/ my dairy
    allergic 4 year old today. I'm pretty sure that soy cream
    will work in place of the margarine :)

    ~Kat

    www.marchforchoice.org

  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >>Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    >>

    >Thank you Sheldon ... I will be making these w/ my dairy
    >allergic 4 year old today. I'm pretty sure that soy cream
    >will work in place of the margarine
    >:)
    >

    >~Kat

    Yeah, but... you asked for a recipe that contained no dairy
    and margerine is not dairy.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  5. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Yeah, but... you asked for a recipe that contained no dairy
    >and margerine is not dairy.

    Many margarines contain casein, something she needs to
    avoid. (By recommendation of an allergist and a neurologist
    that specializes working w/ kids who have CP) If the
    margarine doesn't contain casein in particular, it is often
    ran on the same lines as butter or margarine / butter
    combination products so it can be dangerous for my daughter
    to eat. As I'm sure you know that a dairy allergy isn't the
    same as lactose intolerance (many people don't understand
    this). Lactose intolerance would be simple compared to a
    dairy allergy. Just for a reference:
    http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html#badingredients go
    to "Beware the Ingredients!"

    Thanks for the recipe :) ~Kat

    www.marchforchoice.org

  6. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Jarkat2002 wrote:
    >>Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    >>

    > Thank you Sheldon ... I will be making these w/ my dairy
    > allergic 4 year old today. I'm pretty sure that soy cream
    > will work in place of the margarine :)
    >
    > ~Kat

    I haven't seen the recipe yet, but look for kosher margarine
    to strictly avoid dairy. Regular margarine may or may not be
    flavored with dairy products.

    Best regards, Bob

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Jarkat2002) wrote:

    > >Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    > >

    > Thank you Sheldon ... I will be making these w/ my dairy
    > allergic 4 year old today. I'm pretty sure that soy cream
    > will work in place of the margarine :)
    >

    > ~Kat
    >

    > www.marchforchoice.org

    How about Fleischmann's Corn Oil Margarine, Kat?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  8. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Jarkat2002) wrote:
    >

    >>>Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    >>>

    >>Thank you Sheldon ... I will be making these w/ my dairy
    >>allergic 4 year old today. I'm pretty sure that soy cream
    >>will work in place of the margarine :)
    >>

    >>~Kat
    >
    > How about Fleischmann's Corn Oil Margarine, Kat?

    Kosher margarine is the way to go. Observant Jews are *very*
    particular about know what foods contain dairy products, to
    avoid contaminating their "meat" dishes.

    Fleischmann's Original Stick Margarine contains whey. I
    din't know about their unsalted margarine or corn oil
    margarine or tub margarine, etc. IIRC, look on the label for
    a circle K and the word "parve", or something like that. I'm
    sure there are some Jews here that know the exact product
    markings to look for.

    With a good Jewish sounding name like Fleischmann's, I
    expect they make some kosher products.

    Best regards, Bob

  9. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Jarkat2002) wrote:
    >

    >>>Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    >>>

    >>Thank you Sheldon ... I will be making these w/ my dairy
    >>allergic 4 year old today. I'm pretty sure that soy cream
    >>will work in place of the margarine :)
    >>

    >>~Kat
    >>

    >>www.marchforchoice.org
    >

    > How about Fleischmann's Corn Oil Margarine, Kat?

    It looks like their "unsalted" margarines will work:

    http://www.fleischmanns.com/products/unsalted.jsp

    Best regards, Bob

  10. Scharone

    Scharone Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Kosher margarine is the way to go. Observant Jews are
    > *very* particular about know what foods contain dairy
    > products, to avoid contaminating their "meat" dishes.
    >
    > Fleischmann's Original Stick Margarine contains whey. I
    > din't know about their unsalted margarine or corn oil
    > margarine or tub margarine, etc. IIRC, look on the label
    > for a circle K and the word "parve", or something like
    > that. I'm sure there are some Jews here that know the
    > exact product markings to look for.

    Kosher does not necessarily mean non dairy. There are kosher
    products that are dairy; those that do not contain any dairy
    products are "pareve".

    Look for the Fleischmans margarine that has an "O" with a
    "U" inside it, with the word "pareve" next to it.

    Scharone

  11. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    >
    >3/4 cup soft margarine 1 cup sugar 1 egg 2 tsp. cinnamon
    >1/2 tsp. baking soda
    >1/4 tsp. nutmeg 1 cup grated zucchini 1-1/2 cups flour
    >1/2 tsp. salt 2 cups oats
    >1/2 cup raisins and/or 1/2 cup nuts
    >
    >Mix together margarine, sugar and egg. Cream well. Add
    >other ingredients and mix until all are blended. Bake at
    >400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
    >
    >Source: rec.food.cooking, rec.food.recipes
    >---
    >

    >---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    >NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    >devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

    hey .. thanks a bunch .. these cookies were loved by my
    family :) I'll make them often. The soy butter worked
    perfectly. :)

    ~Kat

    www.marchforchoice.org

  12. Dan Levy

    Dan Levy Guest

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >How about Fleischmann's Corn Oil Margarine, Kat?

    > Fleishman's Corn Oil Margarine contains no dairy
    > whatsoever, it's kosher
    and
    > parave... which means it's not produced on machines
    > contaminated with
    dairy
    > either.1

    The logic of Jewish kosher rules is sometimes based on
    religious legalities of centuries old rabbinical judgment
    calls (sing it... TRADITION) rather than 20-21st century
    science. As such, they can't necessarily, of themselves,
    guarantee an allergenically adequate absence of the
    contaminant. Contact contamination is rigidly controlled but
    things like airborne dust and vapors don't figure in.

  13. Dan Levy wrote:

    > The logic of Jewish kosher rules is sometimes based on
    > religious legalities of centuries old rabbinical judgment
    > calls (sing it... TRADITION) rather than 20-21st century
    > science. As such, they can't necessarily, of themselves,
    > guarantee an allergenically adequate absence of the
    > contaminant. Contact contamination is rigidly controlled
    > but things like airborne dust and vapors don't figure in.

    The above is true except for your use of the words "logic"
    and "sometimes." Sometimes based on religious legalities?
    When is it not?

    --Lia

  14. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > I haven't seen the recipe yet, but look for kosher
    > margarine to strictly avoid dairy. Regular margarine may
    > or may not be flavored with dairy products.

    Earth Balance, sold at Fred Meyers and Trader Joes, etc. is
    terrific and vegan. blacksalt

  15. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    > Dan Levy wrote:
    >
    >> The logic of Jewish kosher rules is sometimes based on
    >> religious legalities of centuries old rabbinical judgment
    >> calls (sing it... TRADITION) rather than 20-21st century
    >> science. As such, they can't necessarily, of themselves,
    >> guarantee an allergenically adequate absence of the
    >> contaminant. Contact contamination is rigidly controlled
    >> but things like airborne dust and vapors don't figure in.
    >

    > The above is true except for your use of the words "logic"
    > and "sometimes." Sometimes based on religious legalities?
    > When is it not?
    >
    > --Lia

    The rule about not eating a certain tendon or ligament in
    the thigh (I don't think it is the achilles tendon) is not
    in the law of Moses at all. It is a tradition the Jews added
    to remember when Jacob "wrestled with God." Since it was not
    a part of The Law, I would not call it a legality; perhaps
    your use of the word "legality" is different than mine.

    Gen 32:30: "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel--
    For I have seen God face to face, and my life has been
    preserved. 31 And as he passed over Peniel, the sun rose
    upon him; and he limped upon his hip. 32 Therefore the
    children of Israel do not eat of the sinew that is over the
    joint of the thigh, to this day; because he touched the
    joint of Jacob's thigh--the sinew."

    Best regards, Bob

  16. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    kalanamak wrote:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >

    >>I haven't seen the recipe yet, but look for kosher
    >>margarine to strictly avoid dairy. Regular margarine may
    >>or may not be flavored with dairy products.
    >>

    > Earth Balance, sold at Fred Meyers and Trader Joes, etc.
    > is terrific and vegan. blacksalt

    I spent about 10 minutes tonight looking through all the
    margarine at Super Walmart. About half of then were labelled
    "(U)D", which means "kosher, dairy". I didn't see *any* that
    just said (K) or (U) or "Parve".

    The only Fleischmann's margarine there was salted
    original, marked (U)D. Non-dairy margarine is harder to
    find than I expected.

    Best regards, Bob

  17. zxcvbob wrote:

    > The rule about not eating a certain tendon or ligament in
    > the thigh (I don't think it is the achilles tendon) is
    > not in the law of Moses at all. It is a tradition the
    > Jews added to remember when Jacob "wrestled with God."
    > Since it was not a part of The Law, I would not call it a
    > legality; perhaps your use of the word "legality" is
    > different than mine.

    I understand you now. My use of the word "religious" was
    different. I'd call more recent interpretations religious,
    not just the ones straight from the Law, religious.

    --Lia

  18. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >hey .. thanks a bunch .. these cookies were loved by my family :) I'll make
    >them often.
    >The soy butter worked perfectly. :)
    >
    >~Kat

    You're very welcome.