Zzipper fairing for GRR

Charles Brun

New Member
Oct 4, 2003
I am getting ready to order a new GRR recumbent in early Feb. 04. I would like to equip it with a Zzipper fairing. I see that the company makes 2 sizes: the standard SuperZzipper and the BodySkin fairing.

I am 90% confident that I will eventually go with a bodyskin, so will need to have the bigger Bodyskin fairing, but I would like to hear from other Easy Racer owners as to their choices given the weight and size differences. I am almost 6' 4" so it seems like the larger size would be better as far as reducing air resistance.

Thanks Easy Racer riders!

Charles: go with the bodyskin fairing, it will reduce wind resistance and also it is not noisy like
the lighter one when you hit bumps. i have one on all four of my LWB bikes and it will also help in
the winter with keeping you warmer. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Go to the Easy Racers Forum I think the link is at their web site. The editor of ERRC publication
answers your question. She called Zzipper and had the thinner wt fairing made to the size of the
thicker and heavier body sock fairing. She then modified the mounts to give more support to the
light weight fairing with body sock. Hope this helps. The idea is to have the fairing weigh less and
yet support the tension of the lycra body sock

Charles Brun <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am getting ready to order a new GRR recumbent in early Feb. 04. I would like to equip it with a
> Zzipper fairing. I see that the company makes 2 sizes: the standard SuperZzipper and the BodySkin
> fairing.
>
> I am 90% confident that I will eventually go with a bodyskin, so will need to have the bigger
> Bodyskin fairing, but I would like to hear from other Easy Racer owners as to their choices given
> the weight and size differences. I am almost 6' 4" so it seems like the larger size would be
> better as far as reducing air resistance.
>
> Thanks Easy Racer riders!

Chuck-

I'm 6-foot-4 and I *wish* I had the bodysock fairing on my Tour Easy. I look with envious eyes upon
my GRR-riding friends who have bodysock style Zzippers, whether or not they have bodysocks.

Go for it.

Jeff

> Chuck-
>
> I'm 6-foot-4 and I *wish* I had the bodysock fairing on my Tour Easy. I look with envious eyes
> upon my GRR-riding friends who have bodysock style Zzippers, whether or not they have bodysocks.
>
> Go for it.
>
> Jeff

My wife's Gold Rush (bought used) came with the standard Zzipper fairing. I then found and bought
used the bodysock kit (heavier fairing, bodysock and rear rack with bodysock frame). This was
without a doubt the worst purchase I have ever made. The fairing is interchangeable with the
existing mounts, the frame attaches easily to the rear mounts and the bodysock attaches without
problem. Why is it the worst purchase? Because now I can't catch her. I used to wait for her. Now,
on the declines or downhills she waits for me. The bodysock is very expensive because you not only
pay for all the individual items, but also for therapy to handle your crushed ego and rebuild your
self-confidence. Fortunately for me the hills and the longer distances even us out. But if she gets
a slight downhill and a minor tailwind she is looking at 30 mph cruising. It's killing me.

With that warning I say go for the heavier fairing. It made no difference in her riding without the
bodysock. And it allows you to add the damn thing if you choose to go that way.

Mike (yearning for the old days) S. St. Louis, Mo.

The heavy duty Zzipper is one added pound, more or less. It works well with the bodysock. It's
quieter. So? Is it worth the effort to build your own kit with a standard weight fairing? Up to you.

"Shortboat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Go to the Easy Racers Forum I think the link is at their web site. The
editor
> of ERRC publication answers your question. She called Zzipper and had the thinner wt fairing made
> to the size of the thicker and heavier body sock fairing. She then modified the mounts to give
> more support to the light
weight
> fairing with body sock. Hope this helps. The idea is to have the fairing
weigh
> less and yet support the tension of the lycra body sock

[email protected] (mike s) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> My wife's Gold Rush (bought used) came with the standard Zzipper fairing. I then found and bought
> used the bodysock kit (heavier fairing, bodysock and rear rack with bodysock frame). This was
> without a doubt the worst purchase I have ever made. The fairing is interchangeable with the
> existing mounts, the frame attaches easily to the rear mounts and the bodysock attaches without
> problem. Why is it the worst purchase? Because now I can't catch her. I used to wait for her. Now,
> on the declines or downhills she waits for me. The bodysock is very expensive because you not only
> pay for all the individual items, but also for therapy to handle your crushed ego and rebuild your
> self-confidence. Fortunately for me the hills and the longer distances even us out. But if she
> gets a slight downhill and a minor tailwind she is looking at 30 mph cruising. It's killing me.

*sigh*... I *wish* I could get my wife in a bodysock... 'cause then it'd be an excuse to get me one!
She's nervous enough about going fast as it is...

Jeff