ZZipper or Mueller for TE?

Mike Rice

Guest
My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a fairing ready and waiting and
was hoping for opinions. I know the Super ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have read
somewhere that the Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose, I wonder
if there's any difference in performance.

Anybody with experience care to compare the two?

Thanks,

Mike Rice

Originally posted by Mike Rice
[...]

My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched the Mueller and the ZZipper b4 I purchased the later. The reason being that it was recommended for the TE because of the weight of the Mueller and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I have read about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have a little noise than to create a non-performing TE.

There is a way to eliminate the road noise one gets with the Zipper fairing on a TE, GRR of TIR.
Replace the bottom fairing mount with a piece of flexible 3/16" thick piece of rubber cut into a 1"
strip and folded into a 180 degree bend. Simply fasten each of the ends onto the existing fairing
mounts. My brother devised this mount and it works exceptionally well and takes the road noise away
without undo flex. A sample has been sent to Gardner. The flexible rubber strip is about 2 1/2" long
before folding into a 180 degree bend.

BG

Dr. Duk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mike Rice wrote:
> > My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a fairing ready and waiting
> > and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have
> > read somewhere that the Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose,
> > I wonder if there's any difference in performance. Anybody with experience care to compare the
> > two? Thanks, Mike Rice
>

> My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched the Mueller and the
> ZZipper b4 I purchased the later. The reason being that it was recommended for the TE because of
> the weight of the Mueller and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I
> have read about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have a little noise than to
> create a non-performing TE.

I have a Zipper on my US made EZ-1 and a Mueller on my Stratus.

The Windwrap is quieter,more stable and gives better coverage.

I would go for the Mueller.

The weight difference is in ounces,not a big deal.

Guy

On 27 Aug 2003 18:29:19 GMT, [email protected] (B17 GUY) wrote:

>I have a Zipper on my US made EZ-1 and a Mueller on my Stratus.
>
>The Windwrap is quieter,more stable and gives better coverage.
>
>I would go for the Mueller.
>
>The weight difference is in ounces,not a big deal.
>
>Guy

Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I don't believe I'm asking
this). :)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060502070001080902070603 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

What weight?

What handling characteristics?

Dr. Duk wrote:

>Mike Rice wrote:
> > My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a fairing ready and waiting
> > and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have read
> > somewhere that the Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose, I
> > wonder if there's any difference in performance. Anybody with experience care to compare the
> > two? Thanks, Mike Rice
>

>My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched the Mueller and the ZZipper
>b4 I purchased the later. The reason being that it was recommended for the TE because of the weight
>of the Mueller and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I have read
>about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have a little noise than to create a
>non-performing TE.
>

>--

Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

--------------060502070001080902070603 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
Ds. Duk wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
wrap="">Mike Rice wrote: > My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to
have a > fairing ready and waiting and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super > ZZipper
is what Easy Racers offers, but have read somewhere that the > Mueller is quieter. The
ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose, I > wonder if there's any difference in
performance. > Anybody with experience care to compare the two? > Thanks, > Mike Rice

My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched the Mueller and the ZZipper
b4 I purchased the later. The reason being that it was recommended for the TE because of the weight
of the Mueller and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I have read about
the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have a little noise than to create a
non-performing TE.

--
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"

On 29 Aug 2003 02:42:40 GMT, [email protected] (B17 GUY) wrote:

>When we ordered the EZ-1 from Tour Easy some years back the Zzipper fairing was a factory installed
>accessory.
>
>Perhaps a call (is Luke still there?) would get you the model number.
>

>Guy

A quick check shows the medium size teardrop fairing should work for all EZ bikes & trikes.

http://www.easyracers.com/accessories.htm

Also, Dr. Duk mentioned ' the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created'. This is
the first I've heard of this & would greatlyu appreciate some elaboration.

Mike Rice

Originally posted by Bruce Griffin
There is a way to eliminate the road noise one gets with the Zipper fairing on a TE, GRR of TIR.
Replace the bottom fairing mount with a piece of flexible 3/16" thick piece of rubber cut into a 1"
strip and folded into a 180 degree bend. Simply fasten each of the ends onto the existing fairing
mounts. My brother devised this mount and it works exceptionally well and takes the road noise away
without undo flex. A sample has been sent to Gardner. The flexible rubber strip is about 2 1/2" long
before folding into a 180 degree bend.

BG
Dr. Duk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mike Rice wrote:
> > My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a fairing ready and waiting
> > and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have
> > read somewhere that the Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose,
> > I wonder if there's any difference in performance. Anybody with experience care to compare the
> > two? Thanks, Mike Rice
>

> My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched the Mueller and the
> ZZipper b4 I purchased the later. The reason being that it was recommended for the TE because of
> the weight of the Mueller and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I
> have read about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have a little noise than to
> create a non-performing TE.
:D :D :D

Bruce, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won a new fairing at the Return To Freedom ride in June and when I put it on my TE the road noise was very noticeable. I have been trying to find a solution ever since. Thanks for posting a great solution. I used 1/8 thick piece of rubber instead of the 3/16 but it worked just fine. NOOOO ROAD NOISE!!!!!
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I don't believe I'm asking
> this). :)
Come on Dave!! Now that your back on a bent your just itching for speed. Deep down or maybe just a
millimeter down inside is a yearing for another light weight performance bent[another P38 or maybe a
Aero or???]

On 29 Aug 2003 12:48:29 -0700, [email protected] (Bill B) wrote:

>Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I don't believe I'm asking
>> this). :)
>Come on Dave!! Now that your back on a bent your just itching for speed. Deep down or maybe just a
>millimeter down inside is a yearing for another light weight performance bent[another P38 or maybe
>a Aero or???]

You can't cure upgrade fever, you can only try to control the symptoms!

Now excuse me--I have new shafts and heads waiting in the garage to become my new set of golf clubs.

:)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired) Home:
http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

Could you guys describe in a little more detail the rubber mount you've created for the ZZipper
fairing on a TE? I don't quite get it from the messages posted so far.

TIA

Regarding the ZZipper over the Mueller: I read an article in ERRC newsletter about a test Gardner
did comparing fairings. The test was basically to roll down a hill and see what the speed was at the
bottom, and then see how far the bike rolled up the next hill. This tests wind resistance, etc. The
full ZZipper performed significantly better than the Mueller.

I bought a fairing to help remove wind resistance.

Thanks for all the responses, I ordered a Zzipper, and should have it before my TE arrives. Now I
need a little more detail on that rubber strap idea!

Mike Rice (soon! TE)

[
Also, Dr. Duk mentioned ' the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created'. This is
the first I've heard of this & would greatlyu appreciate some elaboration.

Mike Rice [/B][/QUOTE]

Mike:

When I was rsearching the difference between the Mueller and ZZipper I read an article written by Bob Bryant of RCN Magazine. In this article he tested both fairings and in his judgement the ZZipper (faired) better then the Mueller. He said that he noticed that the Mueller changed the handling characteristics of the TE he was testing. That is the only record of my statement. My fairing has not arrived in the BS ao hopefully in the very near future I can update my TE and by the way I Jussssssssttttttt love my TE. It is a great bent and well deserved of its reputation and following. Good Luck. Dr. Duk:cool:

Thanks for getting back, DD. I've ordered the ZZipper, it should be here before my TE arrives.

MIke

Hi Guy's!

What I got from Bruce Griffin's post is that you take a piece of 3/16" thick rubber, cut it into a piece 1" wide X 2 1/2" long. Bend it in half. Place it over the end of of the ZZipper mount that is on the front fork and bolt the ZZipper back on.

What I did was use a piece of rubber that was 1/8" thick X 3/4" wide X 2 3/8" long because that's what I had in the garage. I bent it over the fairing mount and drilled a 1/4" hole through both ends of the rubber. Then mounted the fairing. From the front side of the fairing the order is: the bolt, the nylon washer that comes with the bolt, the rubber washer that comes with bolt, the fairing, one end of the piece of rubber, the mount, the other end of the rubber, the nylon wing nut. I did this on both sides.

I don't know if this is how Bruce did it but it did work for me. I did a ride today of about 7 miles and no road noise form the fairing.

I used 1/8" thick rubber and think that if you used 3/16" thick rubber that you would have a hard time getting the the wing nut back on without using longer bolts. But I could be wrong.

Mike, my wife and I both have TE's and don't know how we ever survived riding anything else.
Good luck!!

:D :D :D

Wayne - Thanks for the followup posting. I'll give this mod a try.